Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Cognitive Science Vs. Psychology

jojoyojojoyo Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
edited September 2010 in Other College Majors
What is the Cognitive Science major? How different is it from the Psychology major?
Post edited by jojoyo on

Replies to: Cognitive Science Vs. Psychology

• zapfinozapfino Posts: 2,507Registered User Senior Member
    Cognitive science is an interdisciplinary field. So, it not only draws on cognitive psychology, but also may include coursework from other related fields, usually philosophy (e.g., philosophy of mind), computing (e.g., artificial intelligence), neuroscience, and linguistics.

While psychology includes cognitive psychology as one of its subfields, it also includes courses in other subfields, e.g., developmental psychology, social psychology, neuropsychology, etc.

There is some degree of overlap, and much depends upon how these majors are structured at a particular school.
  • liek0806liek0806 Posts: 3,316Registered User Senior Member
    I remember reading a good description of cognitive science vs psych
    cognitive science i think is more interested in learning and knowing about how the brain functions, ie through neurons, connections, etc.
    psychology aims at learning what people think/believe/react etc. it isn't so much concerned with brain functions as cognitive science is.
  • jojoyojojoyo Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks for the comment. I wonder if its possible to get a double major our of these two majors, since they are so similar.
  • liek0806liek0806 Posts: 3,316Registered User Senior Member
    WUSTL i believe has a joint program combining cognitive science/philosophy & psychology. research it
    other than that most schools will allow you to major/minor since often times cogntive science tends to be a major that requires classes in different departments including psych.
  • jojoyojojoyo Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    oh i see. I think WUSTL is a little too hard for me to get in though. Check out my other thread. "is wake forest any good?" to see my current situation academic wise. But yeah, i really appreciate it. Thanks for the advice!