Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Theoretical Physics in Pakistan

flashstersflashsters Posts: 15Registered User New Member
edited March 2013 in Pakistan
Hello, I'd like to pursue theoretical physics in my career, but I'm not sure which Bsc degree should I take up. Should I do a Bsc Maths/ Bsc Physics from LUMS, or something else? I have to stay in Pakistan for my undergraduate.
Post edited by flashsters on

Replies to: Theoretical Physics in Pakistan

• GlaedrGlaedr Posts: 159Registered User Junior Member
    Hello fellow aspiring Pakistani physicist! Yes, I think BSc from LUMS would be the best option. That's what I'd do if I get rejected everywhere in US (and manage to get into LUMS, of course).
  • UKdude84UKdude84 Posts: 468Registered User Member
    .:.GC University Lahore

best physics dept in Pk.
  • PANKHEPANKHE Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Can ny1 provide me info about UET-Lahore?the eng dep,living in pakistan n else?
  • flashstersflashsters Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    @UKdude84, I'm a bit apprehensive at the prospect of going to GC. I mean to highlight the social factors etc.
    Also, what would one say abt doiing mSc Physics after doing Bs Mathematics. Sir Abdus Salam and other notable physicist took this path. Also, how is the CAMP at NUST for Bs mathematics?
  • AbdulWadoodAbdulWadood Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Dear Aspiring theoretical physicist, Assalamoalaikum and good luck on your journey. I am on the same boat too.
    Priority no.1 is US.
    As u mentioned staying in Pakistan, then of course your first priority is LUMS. DO NOT listen to the people who say that LUMS SSE is new and untested. Their talk's plain ********; the faculty, labs and opportunities for theoretical Physics at LUMS are unparalleled in Pakistan. Of course they have the issue of holding back their faculty but still their faculty is the best you've got.

If at all u don't go to LUMS (due to financial aid issue or twist of fate or whatever), then I would recommend NUST CAMP. Their faculty is second best to LUMS(although two of their teachers Munir Rahsid and Asghar Qadir are one of their kind in Pakistan). They will build a sound foundation for theoretical Physics.(LUMS is good for Theory and Experiment both)

If u don't go to either of these, then I would recommend COMSATS Islamabad or Lahore campus(I don't know which one's better).
    Then comes GCU or FC or PU. Go visit these, meet faculty and senior Physics students and you'll know which one's better.
    If all roads are closed, then go for engineering. Although some people would argue going for engineering after you don't get into LUMS or NUST. Don't leave Physics!
    As far as Abdul Salam is concerned, in those days GCU had a great department. And yes u always have the option of doing Math and then Physics. Google 'The Subtle connections between Math and Physics' and you'll find some good read.
    I am from the class of 2014. Took a gap year, applied to US, got rejected from all.
    Got into LUMS but financial aid issue kept me from going there(partially my fault as I applied after the deadline). Then I looked towards CAMP but my parents coerced me into EE at NUST. I am still thinking of transferring to CAMP or SSE. Pray that I find my path. May you find yours.
    Wassalam
    @AbdulWadood Thankyou for the info, I got into LUMS SSE. :D So I guess I'll just go there.
  • bash002bash002 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    Dear friends I have come across this discussion while searching solution for my problem I really need some good sugestions. I have done BBA and now doing MBA. I always knew that this is not right field for me. this sounds crazy but I really want to switch my field to physics. but the problem is, i am going to be 24years after 2 months and I have done intermediate in premedical. the good thing is, i have studied 6 courses related to maths (algebra, basic mathematics,business mathematics, intro to statistics, business calculus,, statistical inferences) in BBA. So I need to know , is there any university that can give me admission in bachelor in physics regardless of my age and intermediate in pre-medical.