Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Barney Frank Victory Speech

zoosermomzoosermom Posts: 23,848Registered User Senior Member
Did anyone see it? It's available on youtube.
Post edited by zoosermom on

Replies to: Barney Frank Victory Speech

• jablalfjablalf Posts: 591Registered User Member
    I felt embarrassed for him as I watched the speech. It's shameful that someone as inflammatory, insulting, and untruthful as Frank is serving in Congress. Representatives like Frank explain why most people strongly dislike Congress.

His public speaking skills are also lacking - during his "victory speech" the only times he seemed comfortable was when he was insulting the GOP. Other than that, he struggled to put together coherent sentences.
  • zoosermomzoosermom Posts: 23,848Registered User Senior Member
    WHY was he so angry? He won.
  • Mr PayneMr Payne Posts: 8,850Registered User Senior Member
    Barney Frank, one of the architects of the financial collapse, is a joke.
  • gimmechocolategimmechocolate Posts: 379Registered User Junior Member
    He was angry because he is part of the uber political elite who resent even having to stand for re-election, let alone actually sweat the win for a few days. He believes he should be anointed, and that the little people should darn well thank him for being willing to serve them. He almost -- almost -- had to explain a few things to the voters, such as his complicity in the mortgage meltdown. Barney doesn't like that. He will not be questioned. He will not be asked to account for his time on the public dole. And he certainly doesn't appreciate having to ask for votes from the peons. His party worked hard to gerrymander that district so Barney would never have to hold an actual election. This was almost an election. Barney doesn't like that.
  • EMM1EMM1 Posts: 2,540Registered User Senior Member
    What a pig. Do you ever wonder what would have happened to a straight congressman whose girlfriend was running a prostitution business out of his apartment? I guess he could have just blamed it on being confused.

Right.
  • BigGBigG Posts: 3,885Registered User Senior Member
    IMO Congressman Frank will relish the role of snarky opposition.
  • BostonDad2BostonDad2 Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    If you had listened to the speech before commenting you would know the district was created to save a Republican.

This is the description from Wikipedia:
    However, in 1982, redistricting forced him to run against Republican Margaret Heckler, who represented a district centered on the South Coast, including Fall River and New Bedford. Although the newly configured district retained Frank's district number — the 4th — it was geographically more Heckler's district.
  • BigGBigG Posts: 3,885Registered User Senior Member
    Please do not intrude accurate historical facts into our partisan bickering.

Thank-you and have a pleasant evening.
  • geeps20geeps20 Posts: 3,250- Senior Member
    the guy is an embarrassment. I really have a hard time figuring how anyone could vote for this guy.
  • cartera45cartera45 Posts: 12,140Registered User Senior Member
    I watched it. What's the beef - he was just being Frank. Loved this line

--Republicans lost an important political asset - the luxury of practical irrelevance.--
  • JordcinJordcin Posts: 457Registered User Junior Member
    Massachusetts voters love him. That's all that matters. Massachusetts went straight Democrat including the governor. Massachusetts also voted down a tax cut by way of sales tax. Of course the state did vote to eliminate tax on alcohol. You have to draw the line somewhere.
  • vicariousparentvicariousparent Posts: 5,940Registered User Senior Member
    I got bored after the first 4 min and didn't see the remaining 9 min. I didn't think it was particularly offensive but I'm glad I wasn't in the room.
  • interesteddadinteresteddad Posts: 23,489Registered User Senior Member
    He might be the most arrogant man in Washington, D.C. -- and that's saying something. The Boston Globe gives him a free pass. For example, they didn't report that he was in the house when his signficant other was busted for growing pot in his yard. It's just amazing to me that a guy can have a epic fail, such as Frank's connection to the Freddie and Fannie fiascos, and voters send him back to do more damage. You just have to scratch your head.

And, the comment above is correct. Can you imagine if a Republican Congress-critter's girlfriend or boyfriend was caught running a prostitution service out of the Congressman's house?
  • jonrijonri Posts: 5,233Registered User Senior Member
    I think Barney Frank does an excellent job representing his district.

The New Bedford/Fall River portion of the district used to be represented by Gerry Studds. Gerry is pronounced like Gary. Gerry is a family name from his mom's side. He is descended from Eldridge Gerry, whose name is the source of the term gerrymander.

BTW, Studds was also gay. He came "out" when he was caught up in a scandal because of a gay relationship with a 17 year old male Congressional page. Even Wikipedia commented on the fact that his "outing" didn't seem to surprise many of his constituents.

This part of the district is far from affluent. Nobody cares whom anybody sleeps with as long as they bring home the bacon and Frank does.
  • JordcinJordcin Posts: 457Registered User Junior Member
    Interesteddad, how about that Democratic sweep in Massachusetts? 100% Democratic Congress, just how we like it. Democratic governor who raised our taxes voted back in. Voters rejected a vote to decrease the sales tax from 6.25 to 3%. Just like you predicted.