Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What made Kennedy a "great" president?

EMM1EMM1 Posts: 2,510Registered User Senior Member
Historians have just ranked Kennedy our 6th greatest President? What did Kennedy do to deserve this ranking (other than sleeping with Marilyn Monroe)?
Post edited by EMM1 on

Replies to: What made Kennedy a "great" president?

• DocTDocT Posts: 6,601Registered User Senior Member
    He was a great leader - leading us into Vietnam
  • zoosermomzoosermom Posts: 23,570Registered User Senior Member
    I can't imagine. I look forward to our brilliant CC friends' answers to this.
    He has been an inspiration for many of my generation. However one has to wonder what would have happened if he was not assassinated.
  • Newtonian1964Newtonian1964 Posts: 356- New Member
    He didn't deserve to be that high,

but let's not forget he introduced the Civil Rights Act, which was not passed while he was alive. But his death was used as political capital by LBJ to pass that very important bill.
  • maritemarite Posts: 21,586Registered User Senior Member
    He was not that great. He made a really inspiring speech, created the Peace Corps, introduced the Civil Rights Act, but he made some disastrous blunders, as in the Bay of Pigs (without that debacle, his decisions on Vietnam might have been different). He was much more of a Cold Warrior than some of his nostalgic supporters like to remember. But his death made him forever young.
  • BulletBullet Posts: 969Registered User Member
    One word: Jackie
  • razorsharprazorsharp Posts: 5,969Registered User Senior Member
    Let me see, Kennedy won the Bay of Pigs, he kept us of Vietnam and he didn't appoint any of his friends and family to prominent positions in government. Oh wait, none of that happened.
    He also was successful with the Cuban missile crisis - a very fearful time.
  • catahoulacatahoula Posts: 2,766Registered User Senior Member
    Though they might be anathema to some here, I've always admired his thoughts on tax policy.
    "It is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high and tax revenues are too low and the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now ... Cutting taxes now is not to incur a budget deficit, but to achieve the more prosperous, expanding economy which can bring a budget surplus."

– John F. Kennedy, Nov. 20, 1962, president's news conference
    "Lower rates of taxation will stimulate economic activity and so raise the levels of personal and corporate income as to yield within a few years an increased – not a reduced – flow of revenues to the federal government."

– John F. Kennedy, Jan. 17, 1963, annual budget message to the Congress, fiscal year 1964
    "Though they might be anathema to some here, I've always admired his thoughts on tax policy." - the model for all tax cuts thereafter.
  • JW MullerJW Muller Posts: 432Registered User Member
    Kennedy ranks so high because he cut taxes. Reagan did as well, which is why he is only 10th. Kennedy got the Viet Nam war started as part of the Cold War, whereas Reagan ended the Cold War. Kennedy was good on TV, which is why he ranks so high. Reagan was good on TV, indicating style over substance. Kennedy invaded Cuba disastrously, Reagan invaded Grenada successfully. But Kennedy's fiasco was Eisenhower's fault. Kennedy had a ghost written book win the Pulitzer. Reagan's writings were in his own hand.

But from the CC perspective, Kennedy graduated from Harvard, Reagan from Dixon College. There you have it, the Harvard degree is worth about 10 places on the Historian's Ranking.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 31,159Registered User Senior Member
    Statement Upon Signing Order Establishing the Peace Corps - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum

The Decision to Go to the Moon: President John F. Kennedy's May 25, 1961 Speech before Congress

I was quite young during the Kennedy presidency ( same age as his daughter Caroline), and I have never taken American Government or history- however, as young as I was, I remember President Kennedy making a huge impact for the good on the American people and inspired lovers of freedom worldwide.

Ich bin ein Berliner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Radio and Television Report to the American People on Civil Rights - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum

John F. Kennedy: Progress Report by the President on Physical Fitness.
  • HindooHindoo Posts: 5,846Registered User Senior Member
    He was charismatic and inspirational, though that alone couldn't make him "great." I believe his early support of the civil rights movement (school integration) was the shining moment of his presidency.
  • zoosermomzoosermom Posts: 23,570Registered User Senior Member
    See? I told you the great CC thinkers would make sense of this. The championing of civil rights is, in fact, a very great thing.

(Hi Hindoo!!)
  • HindooHindoo Posts: 5,846Registered User Senior Member
    Zoos. I love you, but I'm mad at you. :)