Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Replies to: Can you say; "Halo"?

• NovelistoNovelisto Posts: 2,955Registered User Member
    If you google 'Bush Halo' or 'McCain Halo' or 'Kerry Halo'...they'll be there with some kind of light or circle ringing their head. There's a ceiling at the Senate with a big sunburst on it and photographers love to take a low-angle picture of whoever is speaking with these beams shooting out of their heads. Funny.

I'd link to a couple of pictures but the ones at the RNC and White House are now archived and a lot of the others are on blogs.
  • Hard_KnocksHard_Knocks Posts: 378Registered User Member
    Goodness, over the course of 8 years there are a handful of photos of Bush with a halo.
    We can already do a collage of the photos of Obama with the same.
    http://www.moonbattery.com/obamahalos.jpg

Equivalence? Not.
  • afadadafadad Posts: 519- Junior Member
    So, what is you point. I simply posted a link to the picture. It needed a title. And if you don't like it, so what. Others might like it. Just like I'm sure there were plenty of people who found similar photos of Bush interesting. So go "Sigh" there.
    HK -- I'm saying that every politician (just about) gets these photos. I'm not saying anything about 'equivalence' because that's not really important. So there may not be 'equal halo time'...big deal.

They are funny pictures, though, no matter which face is so 'honored'.
  • HindooHindoo Posts: 5,849Registered User Senior Member
    It's fitting that Obama has a halo. He is, after all, "The One." Just ask Idad.

This picture gave me a chuckle--thanks afadad. :)
    Thanks even more, HK! That cracked me up! I really needed a giggle right now.
    As a demonstration of just how ancient I am....

Halo, everybody, Halo.
    Halo's the shampoo that glorifies your hair.

Actual jingle for an actual product.
    Novelisto--I'm ancient, too, but I don't recall "Halo," but I was very familiar with "Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific." Actually, it DID smell terrific. But you can't find it anymore on the supermarket shelves. :(
  • cartera45cartera45 Posts: 12,154Registered User Senior Member
    I remember Halo. My favorite was Prell - I thought it was so pretty in the tube with the bubbles and it smelled so clean.

When I read the title of this thread, I started singing, "You say goodbye and I say 'halo."

I'm babbling like I've been dipping into the oregano.
  • littlegreenmomlittlegreenmom Posts: 3,437- Member
    Remember when there was outrage over the "blatant" symbolism of the bookshelf in the Mike Huckabee ad during the election? It is on one of those banned video sites that we can't link.

Remember when people felt the symbol of the cross was being used to point out Huckabee's religious background?

That was "bad". Somehow the numerous halo photos are "good".

The numerous pictures with a well-lit, soft focus, halo type background are pretty common in the media, these days. I laugh every time I see it. It is subtle...and not so subtle. Feels a bit intentional.

My hobby is photography. I have taken so many thousands of pictures in my lifetime, it is second nature to compose the most interesting shot. Stay in focus, make sure the subject is the center of the shot, and pay attention to background and lighting. In terms of composition, these shots are "perfect". They aren't unintentional.

I guess we could go back to the kudzu reference from another thread, but I guess the analogy could be "smoke em, if you got em". The media is either completely oblivious, or loving these heavenly references to our President and enjoying their placement in magazines and print journalism. It goes beyond coincidence how many are out there. Photographers aren't oblivious to what is in their "shot".

Subliminal messages, anyone?
    Oh, yes, LGM! Cross photos bad ... halo photos good! Seriously, I thought the cross/Huckabee "controversy" was even goofier than our current giggles over Obama's halo. We're a strange species to conjure up such silliness ... and take it seriously. :)
    It is silly, isn't it, Hindoo?

Can't say one is wrong and the others are good - equal opportunity silliness, IMO.

I would have framed those shots exactly the same way. It has added tremendous interest to the shots. And it gives the chattering classes something to chatter about, since we aren't talking about the little porky projects, tonight - right?
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 36,869Registered User Senior Member
    Okay, jym. That one made me laugh. Tell me that it was photoshopped...