Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Illegal Immigrants getting drivers' licenses???

hops_scouthops_scout Posts: 3,898Registered User Senior Member
Wisconsin Would Be Second State To Issue Immigration Cards - Cattle Network
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Wisconsin may soon join Utah as the only states to issue illegal immigrants special cards that allow them to drive but not get other rights that traditional licenses hold.

The plan was included in Wisconsin's state budget approved by a Democratic-controlled committee on Friday. It is subject to approval by the full Legislature and Gov. Jim Doyle, perhaps as soon as next week.

Utah is the only state with a two-tiered system like what is being proposed in Wisconsin, according to The American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators. About 40,000 drivers in Utah have the cards, which were created with that state's program in 2005 as an attempt to end voter fraud among illegal immigrants who were receiving regular licenses.

Tennessee ended a driver certification program after two years in 2006 after federal investigators found that some testing centers were selling driver's licenses and certificates to out-of-state illegal immigrants.

Washington, Illinois and New Mexico are the only states that allow illegal immigrants to receive driver's licenses. Maryland used to allow it, but a new ban on such licenses took effect Monday.

In Hawaii, illegal immigrants can get a state ID, but not a driver's license.

The Wisconsin law was modeled after the one in Utah, which has proved successful, said Christine Neumann-Ortiz, executive director of Voces de la Frontera, a Milwaukee-based group that advocates for immigrants.

"It makes total sense," Neumann-Ortiz said Monday. "First and foremost it's really a public safety issue because it will ensure that more people driving are tested, licensed and insured."
Post edited by hops_scout on

Replies to: Illegal Immigrants getting drivers' licenses???

• keymomkeymom Posts: 507Registered User Junior Member
    Ah but Neumann-Ortiz is wrong. Wisconsin does not have mandatory insurance requirements. So tell me how many of these illegals will be getting insurance???
    Wisconsin has just proposed the trifecta of new laws to stick it to the responsible drivers in Wisconsin.
    They want to give illegals drivers licences, increase the minimum level of insurance from 25,000 to 100,000 (although you don't HAVE to have insurance) and are proposing liability changes so if you are only 20% liable you can be held 100% responsible if the other party has no insurance or assets.
    Crazy
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Posts: 22,762Registered User Senior Member
    In NH, we've always had uninsured motorist liability coverage available and yes, I do pay for insuring those without insurance if we're in an accident.
  • minimini Posts: 26,431Registered User Senior Member
    Undocumented individuals have been getting licenses in Washington State for years, and it has not been a problem.

Insurance is tied to car ownership, not to licenses.
  • hops_scouthops_scout Posts: 3,898Registered User Senior Member
    Undocumented individuals

And I'm sure the "undocumented pharmacists" haven't been a problem either?
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Posts: 6,690Registered User Senior Member
    Good point, Mini. Although I still don't feel good about granting licenses to undocumented persons. But what can we do? This is what the feds' nonsensical immigration policies (or lack thereof) have left the states with.
  • minimini Posts: 26,431Registered User Senior Member
    Actually, in Washington State, EVERYONE who applies for a license is undocumented. Everyone who applies is treated the same. They would have no reason to know your immigration status. (I have heard that Seattle now has quite a few undocumented Irish cabdrivers.)
  • ConsolationConsolation Posts: 14,427Registered User Senior Member
    A few years ago an exchange student from a highly-respectable European country never accused of harboring terrorists was living with us. I went to DMV with him and attempted to get a US driver's license for him so that he could rent a car. He had an international driver's license, a visa, a passport, a birth certificate, and a student id.

They refused to give him a license on the grounds that he did not have sufficient ID. For one thing, they complained that his birth certificate was not written in English, so who knew what it said! (According to the rules, if he had a US marriage certificate or US divorce papers, that would have been good enough.)

Given that experience, I find it puzzling that so many illegal aliens supposedly find it so easy to get driver's licenses, I really do.
  • BayBay Posts: 10,355Registered User Senior Member
    Driver licenses are evidence that the person named/depicted on the card match the person who took the driver test. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • applepicker39applepicker39 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I am sure if you ask a well versed government official in Washington State who's the number one buyer of one of the main crops produced in that state: Apples.(outside the US)
    He will most likely tell you this: Mexico.
    As to whether trade influences on those agriculture workers to keep the crop machine pumping, and whether is relevant to the state's economy is another issue. Many decisions are based in economics, it comes as no surprise that those same apples that Mexican and other Latin American undocumented workers pick end up in Mexican mega markets.

Those workers must be able to drive so those apples get loaded up on their way to Mexico, perhaps an European immigrant does not contribute much to Washington's crop economy. Mexico does not only provide the purchasing power, but also labor of love for those crops.

The driver license may or may not be influenced by the vehicles of trade and labor. As far as trade stands Mexico has $500 billion trade with the US alone (both ways export/import).
    Those workers must be able to drive so those apples get loaded up on their way to Mexico,

I would have assumed that this was done by an independent trucking company.
  • bulletandpimabulletandpima Posts: 9,826Registered User Senior Member
    In NC and VA, you must show a US birth certificate, a US passport or some Federal identity to obtain a DL, along with a SS card. Military members can show a military i.d. as Federal, but they will not accept that as a form to prove citizenship.

Additionally, in NC, you must prove insurance at the time of application. No insurance, no license.

MD also stop the practice of illegals because guess what...they were jumping over the state line from VA since VA required the proof that I mentioned.

Honestly, I don't care if illegals get licenses or not, actually I would prefer that they do get legal licenses because I saw 1st hand how a family of a 12 yr was forever changed when an illegal immigrant without a license ran over a child in a school crossing zone.

My issue is, I believe that immigrants should not be allowed to bring an interpreter to the written portion. Sorry, but is the state saying that their license is conditional based on the fact that there will always be an interpreter with them when they are driving?
    Honestly, I don't care if illegals get licenses or not, actually I would prefer that they do get legal licenses because I saw 1st hand how a family of a 12 yr was forever changed when an illegal immigrant without a license ran over a child in a school crossing zone.

That is horrible, but you have to wonder whether that driver would have obtained or been able to qualify for a proper license if available, or if he would have driven anyway without it. I vote for the latter.

We have a high illegal immigrant population around here, and it is really terrible when a person is killed by an illegal driver. The emotional impact is intensified by the fact that the driver should not have been in the country at all, whether he has a driver license or not. It creates increased animosity towards the federal government (and the state government for awarding the privilege to drive.)

Personally, I am against it because we have terrible traffic and more drivers negatively impact our environment and quality of life.
  • KajonKajon Posts: 3,541Registered User Senior Member
    My issue is, I believe that immigrants should not be allowed to bring an interpreter to the written portion. Sorry, but is the state saying that their license is conditional based on the fact that there will always be an interpreter with them when they are driving?

I totally agree with this. I was shocked when my kids told me they had their choice of 3 languages when they took the written test. Hello.....this is America and all of our signs and warnings are in English. I feel the same way about hunting licenses. If you cannot read the rules, you should not be issued a license.
  • cartera45cartera45 Posts: 12,140Registered User Senior Member
    I feel the same way about hunting licenses. If you cannot read the rules, you should not be issued a license.

There are lots of people who hunt who can't read or write and they were born right here in America. I'd be happy to take the guns away from them though.
  • littlegreenmomlittlegreenmom Posts: 3,437- Member
    I was at a stoplight the other night, when I noticed that the driver coming up to me didn't have his headlights on.

It wasn't a great neighborhood, but it was almost pitch black out and with road construction everywhere. I was more worried that he would hit someone than be a danger to me. I motioned for him to turn on his lights. He rolled down his window. I rolled down mine. I told him "Your lights" are off.

He looked like he understood. Nodded. Then said "No hable Ingles." It's LA. I then told it to him in Spanish. He understood and thanked me.

It makes you wonder whether he had a license or not...I am guessing not.