Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Why is Obama compared to Hitler???

michonemichone Posts: 417Registered User Member
I was at a party over the weekend where the discussion turned political. A friend mentioned that President Obama is being compared to Hitler and they agreed with the comparison. This comment bothered me tremendously. While I don't agree with most of Obama's policies, Hitler brutally killed over 6 million people who weren't like him. Someone else at this party thought he was the devil! It's fine to disagree or even criticize those in power - that is what a democracy is all about. However, calling the President the devil or Hitler is going too far. Can somebody rationally explain to me the basis of this argument. Am I the only one bothered by this statement?
Post edited by michone on

Replies to: Why is Obama compared to Hitler???

• poetgrlpoetgrl Posts: 12,075Registered User Senior Member
    All political leaders in the US are eventually compared to Hitler in the US by unimaginative critics...it's senseless and has lost its meaning.
  • HuntHunt Posts: 20,881Registered User Senior Member
    I think it's because Hitler was also born in Kenya.

My advice to you is to attend parties with smarter people.
  • Cuse0507Cuse0507 Posts: 4,519Registered User Senior Member
    Like poetgrl said, every US president is compared to Hitler...usually by idiots. It is nothing new, so I suggest that you just shrug it off and don't let it bother you.
  • poetgrlpoetgrl Posts: 12,075Registered User Senior Member
    Unfortunately, you cannot link directly to the article I was attempting to access. However, if you google History of Presidents being compared to Hitler, you will find a nice and concise piece detaling this endless idiocy, including the comparisons of JFK and Johnson, and every other president since, though maybe not Carter....who knows, though, some idiot probably insisited on comparing Jimmy to Hitler, as well.
  • SchmaltzSchmaltz Posts: 3,114- Senior Member
    Obama is probably more of a Stalin than a Hitler. But Rahm Emanuel is definitely Himmler : http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/03/08/massa_rahm_emanuel_would_sell_his_own_mother_for_votes.html
  • BogneyBogney Posts: 2,364Registered User Senior Member
    Hey, they both hold or held positions with lots of power in powerful militaristic states. They both have male genitalia. Therefore, they are identical.
  • moonchildmoonchild Posts: 2,702Registered User Senior Member
    I was never fond of George Bush, but it bothered me when people compared him to Hitler, as well. Partly because it was unfair to Bush, but mostly because it trivializes what happened under Hilter.
    There will always be those who demonize whatever leader we have elected. Their goal is to get the other party back in power, and truth and even rationality are seen as less important than furthering their agenda.
  • IBfootballerIBfootballer Posts: 2,250Registered User Senior Member
    People who compare US presidents to Stalin and Hitler never took or slept through their European history classes.
  • hahalolkhahalolk Posts: 1,756Registered User Senior Member
    Yeah, even Kim Jong-Il is nothing compared to Hitler. We're lucky to be in America.
  • hahahahahhahahahah Posts: 1,051Registered User Member
    my advice to you is to attend parties with smarter people.
    . .
  • DocTDocT Posts: 6,601Registered User Senior Member
    Unfortunately there are too many stupid people around who probably have little if any knowledge of Hitler or Stalin for that matter.
  • MomLiveMomLive Posts: 2,363Registered User Senior Member
    People do it because it the worst thing they can think of. The one that really gets me is when they claim he's the anti-Christ. Of course, people thought that about Reagan, also.

This is the way I look at it: The people who choose to make those comparisons aren't able to make a rational argument...it's above their IQ level... so they resort to this type of shortcut. Personally, anyone who makes this type of statement to me is automatically registered in the 'uneducated' column in my book (regardless as to whether they have a college degree or not). :)
  • geeps20geeps20 Posts: 3,250- Senior Member
    I don't believe Hitler was a wimp...
  • tk21769tk21769 Posts: 7,131Registered User Senior Member
    The argument on the radical right is slightly less stupid than saying any politician they don't like is Hitler. They first conflate liberalism with fascism. The reasoning? Fascists used state power to try to control the world; liberals use state power to try to change the world. So, liberalism is just like fascism. Simply by being a Democratic and the President, Obama is America's leading liberal. Ergo, Obama is Hitler.

Liberal Fascism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Scholarly Flaws of Liberal Fascism
  • Sligh_AnarchistSligh_Anarchist Posts: 2,193Editor Senior Member
    As a sophomore in college, my old sixth grade history teacher sent me a friend request several months ago on Facebook, and he has recently been posting a slur of articles comparing Obama to Hitler. It disturbs me greatly that this man taught me European history a little less than a decade ago and still teaches his version of history to students now. These kinds of comparisons are the least imaginative at best and intolerably trite.