Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Happy Chanukah

jym626jym626 Posts: 42,127Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Parent Cafe
So, along the lines of "if a man talks in the woods and no one is there, is he still wrong.." If its Chanukah and no one is home to celebrate with, should I light a candle on the menorah (well 2, if you count the shamus) ?? Its lonely and quiet and empty in my house right now. Wished both of the boys a happy chanukah on line-- gave older one some gifts at thanksgiving (younger one ordered 2 things that he wanted, one of which was study cards for a class!! the other was an xbox game, after I went out on Black Friday and came back empty handed). Very anti-climactic holiday, especially after a big Thanksgiving. What are the rest of you doing??
Post edited by jym626 on

Replies to: Happy Chanukah

• snowballsnowball Posts: 2,347Registered User Senior Member
    Same here; I lit the candles alone a couple of hours ago. The kids got their Kindles while home Thanksgiving day and both ordered a few clothing items with my credit card. My husband isn't home tonight as he is on call, so it is just the dog and I; she wasn't interested in helping with the blessings!

Hanukkah is too early this year!

Happy Hanukkah to all!
  • dopp23dopp23 Posts: 74Registered User Junior Member
    Same to all and let's be thankful for what we have, no matter what colleges our kids end up attending.
  • ellebudellebud Posts: 2,328Registered User Senior Member
    Light the candle. :) And maybe your kid(s) are lighting candles wherever they are.
  • blackeyedsusanblackeyedsusan Posts: 2,420Registered User Senior Member
    Same dilemma here. Happy Hanukkah all!
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 42,127Registered User Senior Member
    Here we go!! An Iphone virtual menorah application!! Virtual Menorah - Jewish iPhone Community
  • MontegutMontegut Posts: 5,953Registered User Senior Member
    Happy Hanukkah to you all, too. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 71,170Registered User Senior Member
    Happy Hanukkah! Hope you have a very blessed and joyful season. :)
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 25,127Registered User Senior Member
    Light the candle! And happy Hannukkah.

Nice music here: New Sounds: New Music for Hanukkah - WNYC
  • jshainjshain Posts: 4,347Registered User Senior Member
    Happy Hanukkah or, if you're "old school" (like me), happy Chanukah to you too!
  • MarilynMarilyn Posts: 1,873Registered User Senior Member
    Happy Chanukah to all! I sent son a care package; he's out of college and in an apartment in California where he's working. I sent along a cheap menorah that he'd gotten from Chabad in college, a few dreidels, some of the decorations I used to sent to him in the dorm, candles, and a few inexpensive wrapped gifts. He was so happy to finally be able to actually light the candles (not allowed in the dorms). I was going to give him a gift card for In-and-Out but it still hasn't arrived 14 days after ordered; guess I'll have to cancel it.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 21,207Registered User Senior Member
    This Christmas-celebrating CCer peeks in this thread to wish Happy Chanukah to her CC friends!
  • calmomcalmom Posts: 17,257Registered User Senior Member
    I'm also alone... and yes, I do light the candles. (I'm not totally alone, the dogs are here, so at least I had an audience for the candle-lighting).
  • ReuvenReuven Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    There are much more Jewish apps at Jewish iPhone Community website - just for Hannukah more than 20. In his Yeshiva my son using sometimes apps such Siddur, iTalmud, Mishna Berura, Jastrow Talmud Dictionary. All this stuff isn't instead, but sometimes could be very usefull.
  • bookwormbookworm Posts: 5,742Registered User Senior Member
    After a 10 hour work day, getting a/c repaired and cleaning up the mess, doing final negotiations for sale of 2nd house with the ex-, I served tuna fish and pizza. I had no energy to peel even one potato. Got menorah up in window and Hannukah dish towels out. B/f and I agreed that it is not the same without kids.

I'm hoping for another Kindle sale to buy myself a gift. Thanks to CC (& hoping for AMEX small busness credit), I went to an independent candy store and bought Hannukah stuff to include in son's care package. Besides gelt, his package included gloves, scarf, sweater, long-sleeved T's--items to help him thru his first NE winter. He will probably only thank me for the money.

So far, anti-climatic

I gave myself a pat on the back for mailing 40+ cards. I have time to get the rest out.
  • ChedvaChedva Posts: 22,289Super Moderator Senior Member
    I always light the candles; one is not less Jewish simply because one is by oneself. In fact, when I'm physically alone, it makes it even more important to connect to the community of Jews all over the world doing the same thing. It reminds us not only of the miracle of the oil, but also of the wonders of religious freedom and that we're all in this together.