Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

ruined jewelry

Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,924Registered User Senior Member
edited December 2010 in Parent Cafe
I forgot my sterling silver ring and gold necklace were sitting in jewelry cleaner. The ring has turned blue and the necklace has turned orange. There are tiny silver pieces on the necklace which have also turned blue. Is there anything I can do to fix them?

My mom told me to bring them to our jeweler but at the moment I am too upset. I've destroyed all the jewelry I own all at once, and I JUST gave my fiance an engraved watch to match the inscription on that ring and now I've killed it. I can't imagine what could be done to fix them but I figured it was worth asking.
Post edited by Emaheevul07 on

Replies to: ruined jewelry

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 17,384Registered User Senior Member
    Ema - what was the brand of jewelry cleaner that you used?
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,924Registered User Senior Member
    It's called connoisseurs jewelery cleaner. I'd left something in it before for days and had no ill effects so I thought it would be okay, but this is kind of chintzy jewelery I guess. But the ring was my promise ring from my fiance and the necklace was from our first christmas. :( And this is literally ALL of the jewelry I own. I am just so furious with myself and sad. I am hoping maybe they can buff out the ring or use some sort of polish or something, maybe it is just tarnished, I don't know what makes jewelery go BLUE, but I don't know. And the necklace is so dainty, I don't know what they could do with that short of replacing the setting.
  • ellebudellebud Posts: 2,328Registered User Senior Member
    A friend of mine recently decided that she no longer liked her engagement ring/wedding ring in yellow gold. She took them to a jeweler who dipped them. They look exactly the way she wanted them to, and are guaranteed to last....ten...(?) years I believe. I think she said the total cost was under a hundred dollars.
  • srwsrw Posts: 1,477Registered User Senior Member
    Take them to the jeweler, they probably need to go in a "pickling" solution. In any case they will know what to do and it will probably not be a big deal. Good Luck!
    OK, I tried to look up the MSDS for the cleaner, but the company does not have it online (MSDS sheets list components of the solution, and that would have been helpful to figure out what happened to your ring). Your ring was made of sterling silver, which contains about 7.5% copper, and I suspect that copper is the culprit here. In this case trying a solution of ammonia could help (it will not hurt your ring - ammonia should be handled IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS). It might work for your necklace as well. Just do not leave your pieces in it for too long. I would avoid putting them both in the ammonia at the same time. If you do not have ammonia in the house, a trip to a jeweler will probably take as much time as locating ammonia, and I suggest doing the former.
  • NovelistoNovelisto Posts: 2,955Registered User Member
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Jewelry-Gems-Minerals-689/2008/12/silver-827.htm

I own the same cleaner/dip and I think it already is mostly ammonia..judging by the odor. I agree with the site above that a paste of baking soda should be your first step.
    If the cleaner already contains ammonia, then taking the pieces to a jeweler for professional polishing will be your best bet. Dh thinks dipping them in a fresh solution of ammonia for a few minutes will help, but I doubt it will do any good (however, it will not hurt them any further). It is hard to say what exactly happened without knowing the metal composition of the pieces.
  • EPTREPTR Posts: 3,808Registered User Senior Member
    I have been told not to put silver jewelry in jewelry cleaner. I clean it with one of those soft cloths that you can buy for that purpose. Have you tried rubbing it out vigorously?

Last summer I wore my silver ring into a hotel hot tub that had a high level of chlorine. When I got out the ring was discolored and tarnished looking....in a matter of minutes!

I brought it to the jeweler that I had bought it from and she cleaned it beautifully! She told me not to wear silver in a pool or hot tub. Who knew?
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,924Registered User Senior Member
    I tried rubbing hoping it would just come off but no good. I feel like I'd put silver in that cleaner before but maybe I am wrong, now that I think of it I think everything else I own may be gold. I am hoping to take it to the jeweler tomorrow to see what can be done.

I broke the news to fiance and he wasn't mad at me. But his response, as I am hyperventilating into the phone and hoping for him to console me, is "why did you forget them in there?" What kind of stupid question is "why did you forget?" !?
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 38,419Registered User Senior Member
    What kind of stupid question is "why did you forget?" !?

Right up there with "Where did you lose it?"....
    Hope it all comes out okay. In future, though, don't mix metals. Clean gold with gold and silver with silver and...maybe one day...platinum with platinum. You never know!
  • oregon101oregon101 Posts: 2,426Registered User Senior Member
    "why did you forget" is a question many people would ask--they are actually wanting to know what you were doing that caused you to forget. It is not accusatory (though it can feel like it). It is, simply, a LITERAL question.
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Posts: 9,296Registered User Senior Member
    A friend of mine recently decided that she no longer liked her engagement ring/wedding ring in yellow gold. She took them to a jeweler who dipped them. They look exactly the way she wanted them to, and are guaranteed to last....ten...(?) years I believe. I think she said the total cost was under a hundred dollars.

Do you know what the jeweler "dipped them" in? And exactly how do they look? Does it look like white gold or platinum?
  • momma-threemomma-three Posts: 2,762Registered User Senior Member
    My daughter wore her sterling silver jewerly in a highly clorinated pool and it turned black. She had tried polishing it with a cleaner but there was not improvement. She brought it to the jewelery store and it looked like new when she got it back.
    Nrdsb4 -- Probably dipped them in rhodium. 'Dipping' is the term but it's really electroplating. Though rhodium is extremely expensive (one of the most expensive substances known), when electroplating you use such tiny, tiny amounts that it doesn't really cost very much to have it done. The look is shiny white like platinum, as rhodium is in the platinum family. It is very hard and lasts a long time if you are careful not to expose the jewelry to corrosive substances.