Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

My cat ate his toy...

hyperJuliehyperJulie Posts: 1,487Registered User Senior Member
edited January 2011 in Parent Cafe
To make the story short, my cat appears to have chewed and swallowed a portion of his toy. The toy was a sewn cylinder of faux fur with a plastic bit on one end and loop at the end for attaching to a string. In itself, it was too big for a cat to swallow, but I observed Mr. Kitty chewing on it and grew suspicious. When I grabbed it, there was about an inch or so of the fur left on the end with the plastic bit, which I took away and bagged in case we needed to show the vet what he ate.

I immediately opened his mouth and looked inside, but whatever bits he had pulled off were already down the hatch. On the plus side, he appears to have broken it up and then eaten it, as opposed to eating the whole thing in one piece, and he did not eat the hard plastic or elastic loop. I'm still worried that he'll get an intestinal block though.

My dad is going to take the piece of toy to the vet and ask for formal advice tomorrow, but until then, is there anything I can do to help prevent Mr. Kitty from getting sick? We know to be looking out for vomiting, lethargy, and other symptoms that something isn't right.

Also, pending vet advice, is it best to wait for a few days and see if he's okay, or bring him to the vet immediately? I'm reluctant to take him in when it isn't necessary because he gets INCREDIBLY upset when put in the cat carrier, and he has broken claws in the past trying to get out.

Finally, how do you recognize lethargy from normal cat laziness? He's usually a sleepy, chilled out kind of cat when he isn't playing.

Thanks in advance. :)
Post edited by hyperJulie on

Replies to: My cat ate his toy...

• DonnaLDonnaL Posts: 3,923- Member
    So all he ate was chewed up fake fur, with no plastic? If he's still eating, and it's still passing through and he's still using his litter box in the way he regularly does, I would guess he's probably OK and there's no obstruction in his intestines. Assuming there's nothing unusual in his behavior (with respect to the litter box or anything else), I'd probably rely on the vet's advice as to whether it's a good idea to bring him in anyway.

Let's hope he's OK!
  • ebeeeeeebeeeee Posts: 5,199Registered User Senior Member
    Is he still eating and drinking?
  • hyperJuliehyperJulie Posts: 1,487Registered User Senior Member
    DonnaL - That's a pretty accurate assessment of the situation. Pretty much he appears to have chewed up the fur part, with no plastic.

ebeeeee - He had a bit to eat after, but hasn't really had anything to drink, I think. He has a bowl with dry food and a bowl of water, and he tends to eat as he pleases and not a whole lot at any given time.

After I posted, he continued to play for a while, and is currently curled up at the end of the couch where he typically sleeps when I'm home. He usually is sleeping about this time of night and will wake up around 3-5 or so and run around while everyone else is sleeping. As far as I can tell he is relaxed and not in any observable discomfort. His ears are mostly forward and turned slightly outward, and he's curled up in what I like to call his "donut position," breathing peacefully.
  • MarilynMarilyn Posts: 1,510Registered User Senior Member
    An unhappy cat is usually pretty obviously unhappy, so if Mr. Kitty is acting normally he's most likely not in any discomfort. Our cat hides under beds when she's feeling poorly.

Our Tabby has a slow tricky digestive system and when she gets blocked, she vomits after trying to use the litter box. She also vomits after she's eaten grass if it gets stuck in her throat. So no vomiting is a good sign. For now, if you have any hairball remedy (or as I call it, goop), you could smear a 1/4 teaspoon or so on his mouth. He'll lick it off and therefore get it into his system. That will help ease the passage. And if in the morning there's a solid deposit in the litter box, he should be fine.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 14,349Registered User Senior Member
    Cats are very resilient creatures. Remember, in the good old pre-Purina days, cats had to deal with fur and feathers all the time when they wanted to have a bite to eat. :) That said, I would still talk to Mr. Kitty's vet, although I doubt your cat could get an intestinal blockage from eating cat toy fur. A string or a piece of thread is much more dangerous, because it can twist and tie feline intestines. Thank goodness he did not eat anything like that. I have one cat who loves to eat loose pieces of carpet pile that she rips out of her scratch post. I used to chase after her and take it out of her mouth, but I have given up on it, because the pile seems to pass through her system just fine.
  • MarilynMarilyn Posts: 1,510Registered User Senior Member
    Per BunsenBurner's comments, I just wanted to add that many years ago our sweet little kittycat managed to decapitate a bird - and throw up the head at my feet. I never realized how small a bird's head actually was until that moment. We've kept an eye on her ever since and have managed to prevent a repeat performance.
    OMG Marilyn, that is horrible! My old cat used to catch frogs and leave their decapitated bodies on our doorstep, but luckily for us, she was able to keep whatever she swallowed down. :) My mom gave her a nickname, "Mademoiselle" (frogs -> French delicacy, although it is the legs that get eaten ;)) LOL!
  • ellemenopeellemenope Posts: 11,380Registered User Senior Member
    Remember, in the good old pre-Purina days, cats had to deal with fur and feathers all the time when they wanted to have a bite to eat.

I watched in horror when one of my friend's cats ate a dragon fly--crunched it down, wings sticking out of her mouth and everything. Made me realize that little Fluffy was a major predator at heart...
    ellemenope, that must have looked like a scene from Planet Earth! :)

Julie, I hope your cat is OK. Keep us posted.
  • ebeeeeeebeeeee Posts: 5,199Registered User Senior Member
    Wow..you guys are city folk. When our cat brings back a bird, mouse, or gopher we praise her. We want her to keep doing a mousers job! But we are a bit out there. she gets along with the deer but I won't let her out unless it's light because I have seen a bobcat pretty close up and I don't want her to tackle that.
  • blankmindblankmind Posts: 1,921Registered User Senior Member
    If your kitty starts to vomit up greenish/yellowish liquid (bile), then he needs to see the vet right away. It means that he has a blockage caused by material that his body cannot digest.

My own Mr Kitty once ate very small pieces of carpeting. We were having wood floors put in, and somehow Mr Kitty found a few very small strands of carpet that were left behind. A few days later, Mr Kitty started vomiting up said greenish bile. The vet said it's not uncommon for cats to eat weird things, and usually they just pass it through, but some things won't digest, cause a blockage, and then it is life threatening. And other than the vomiting, Mr Kitty did not act sick.
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Posts: 7,445Registered User Senior Member
    she gets along with the deer but I won't let her out unless it's light because I have seen a bobcat pretty close up and I don't want her to tackle that.

Or a skunk.:eek:
  • DonnaLDonnaL Posts: 3,923- Member
    If your kitty starts to vomit up greenish/yellowish liquid (bile), then he needs to see the vet right away. It means that he has a blockage caused by material that his body cannot digest.

Wow, just like people! I always go straight to the vet when I start doing that kind of thing.
  • PhotoOpPhotoOp Posts: 996Registered User Member
    I consistently find undigestable things in my cat's litter box. There's no stopping that cat, but it doesn't seem to cause him any problems.
    Julie - how is Mr. Kitty doing? Any updates?

(Re: "city folk". I grew up on a farm, so there are very few things that can gross me out. Decapitated, mutilated bodies of frogs and crunchy dragonflies, unfortunately, are among those rare things. :) )