Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How can I make our labrador retriever smell better?

gadadgadad Posts: 7,752Registered User Senior Member
edited January 2011 in Parent Cafe
We got our son a 5-month-old mostly-lab mix puppy at Christmas. She's a great dog, but we're keeping her inside and she - and our family room - constantly smell "doggy." Washing her more than every couple of weeks isn't recommended due to the risk of the dog developing skin problems. Have you all found products that are good deodorizers that don't require shampooing?
Post edited by gadad on

Replies to: How can I make our labrador retriever smell better?

• ingerpingerp Posts: 866Registered User Member
    Is it a bad smell or a dog smell? I used to smell the head of the one purebred lab we had (like when the kids were babies--pathetic) because I really liked the lab smell. A dog is going to smell like a dog. (Same thing with a teenaged boys sneakers. . .)
  • gadadgadad Posts: 7,752Registered User Senior Member
    It's a dog smell. I was the holdout on dog ownership (well, our two cats and me), so it probably bugs me more than the rest of the family. I'm really just looking for something along the lines of a doggie cologne to help make the room and our hands smell less dog-like.
  • nj2011momnj2011mom Posts: 2,747Registered User Senior Member
    Has the puppy complained that he does not smell well?

(sorry! It's just one of those language jokes that I recall....the bum replied: 'You smell, I stink!)
  • NovelistoNovelisto Posts: 2,955Registered User Member
    Flea and Tick Collars | Care2 Healthy & Green Living

Adding essential oils to the collar not only can help repel pests (though probably not as well as a more conventional pest collar) but will smell pleasant...to you if not nec. to the dog. If he objects by scratching or trying to drag the collar off, don't continue.

Dogs are like spouses; there may be a few things we'd change but we love them anyway. In a month or two, you won't even notice any more.
  • mom60mom60 Posts: 5,699Registered User Senior Member
    If you think your lab smells as a puppy you are trouble. We have had quite a few lab and lab mixes and I don't think they smell as puppies but they can down right stink when they reach around age 10.
    We have a 10 yr old golden. He has begun to not smell like roses. I also have a 21 yr old son whose room stinks. The funny thing if our dog gets to pick the room he sleeps in he prefers the stinky room of my son.
  • dmd77dmd77 Posts: 7,771Registered User Senior Member
    You can wash a dog as often as you want without them developing skin problems, just like you can wash your hair every day. You just have to use a good quality dog shampoo. I use Eqyss and Buddy Wash. I like to rub my dogs (standard poodles) all over with the Buddy Wash conditioner and rinse that out--it cleans as well as using shampoo and leaves them soft and sweet smelling.
  • laketimelaketime Posts: 274Registered User Junior Member
    Gadad,
    We use a shampoo called Sulfodene monthly on our Golden Retiever. It is for itching and flaking from which she does not suffer, but the coal tar and sulphur have been excellent in eliminating the doggy smell. We have small bowls of activated charcoal throughout the house which keep the envirnomental dog smell away. I buy both the shampoo and the activated charcoal at our local pet superstore. Our house is for sale so being free of odors is pretty important to us!
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,820Registered User Senior Member
    We had a black lab ( black dogs seem to smell a tad more). But that was just something we had to accept- I didn't give her daily baths, ( unless she got into something) but she did smell like a dog.

I also like incense, I started using it when I missed D when she was away.
  • OnwardOnward Posts: 2,045Registered User Senior Member
    I just want to agree with dmd77, you can wash your dog as often as you want.
  • intparentintparent Posts: 14,000Registered User Senior Member
    I was not a fan of washing our old dog in our bathtub (we live in a very northern climate, so outside with the hose isn't an option for at least 6 months a year). My ex used to take him to a local 'dog spa' where for $10 he could use their tubs and towels to wash him. They had a date together every week to do this :) He developed skin problems in his old age (100 lb. Gordon Setter), and the vet had us wash him with a special soap every week (we never bathed him before the problems started). Along with diet changes, yada yada.

I do pay the boarding kennel to bathe our lab on the last day of her visits there, as she smells especially 'doggy' after those visits. Does not seem to affect her skin, but it is only 4-5 times a year.
  • younghossyounghoss Posts: 2,614Registered User Senior Member
    And from Monty Python:
    My dog has no nose.
    No nose? How does he smell?
    Awful!

But seriously, folks A Chesapeake Retriever is well known for stinking, and they are related to the more common lab. Could there be some of this in the dog's bloodlines?

Sadly, Novelisto is right about getting used to it. I pity the houseguest that thinks: "What is that stink? How could the residents here not notice?"
  • mafoolmafool Posts: 6,453Registered User Senior Member
    Make sure she doesn't have an ear infection. They can be quite odoriferous.

And I agree that, with the correct shampoo, you should be able to bathe her as often as you want to.
  • tango14tango14 Posts: 1,578Registered User Senior Member
    Maybe we're just oblivious to it now, but we have a 10 yr old golden retriever. She smells doggy periodically, but I don't mind the smell. It's the silent f***ts that get to me.

When she was a young dog, we tried the flea/tick drops once. The chemical/insecticide smell was so strong in the car, I was almost sick. Bathed her as soon as we got home and never used it again. She is not only a house dog but a lap dog and I enjoy burying my nose in her fur as I play with her. We live in a high tick area, and we treat our yard, and give her brewers yeast (4 pills / day for a 90 lb. dog). I read somewhere it makes their skin give off a smell that the ticks don't like.
  • JRZMomJRZMom Posts: 812Registered User Member
    Haha -- we have a 14 1/2 yr old cat who loves to sleep in my lap, would do so all day if I'd let him. And recently, when he is deeply asleep, he has been letting out stinky gas. Silent stealth numbers. Never when he is awake.

Maybe he needs a diet change. Or maybe he needs not to be 14 1/2 yr old.
  • tx5athometx5athome Posts: 2,848Registered User Senior Member
    I have always had labs so maybe I am used to the smell because I don't smell anything. I used to bathe my last one (died at age 10 in October) about two or three times a year, but definitely always after a trip to the kennel (or dog beach). He was always getting compliments on his shiny coat and never had skin issues. We now have a 3 month old black lab puppy who has occasionally has super cute puppy breath. We have not given him a bath yet. We once had a very old lab who did smell bad and guests did comment.