Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Does getting moderately smacked on the head cause brain damage?

SaugusSaugus Posts: 3,881Registered User Senior Member
edited April 2013 in Parent Cafe
Say someone smacked you on the head moderately and it stung for about 15 seconds, but you were never dizzy or lost consciousness.

Are you now dumber because of it, or does the skull absorb all damage? If it's the latter, then what is the incentive to not get hit on the head?
Post edited by Saugus on

Replies to: Does getting moderately smacked on the head cause brain damage?

• SplashMomSplashMom Posts: 1,914Registered User Senior Member
    I think it's been proven that a good thump on the head, especially if done by a parent, may actually make one smarter since said thumps are usually performed when the recipient is acting stupid. Am I right, fellow parents?
  • MarianMarian Posts: 9,382Registered User Senior Member
    More seriously, I don't think there's usually much concern about one or two minor head injuries. But there is cause for concern about repeated concussions -- as sometimes happens to people who play contact sports.
  • SaugusSaugus Posts: 3,881Registered User Senior Member
    ^
    Not even a head injury. Just getting smacked or hit with a soccer ball or something.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 12,106Registered User Senior Member
    Are you now dumber because of it, or does the skull absorb all damage?
    If getting thumped does impact intelligence, that answers a lot of questions folks have had about me.
  • PhysicsMomPhysicsMom Posts: 231Registered User Junior Member
    I've read in several places that heading soccer balls can cause significant damage and that hits less serious than concussions, if repeated, also can.
  • NovelistoNovelisto Posts: 2,955Registered User Member
    Repeated small damage over time can equal big problems. See almost any retired boxer or former pro football player.

Bret Michaels is now blaming his brain hemmorhage on an accident at an award show.

Bret Michaels sues Tonys for brain hemorrhage - Entertainment - Celebrities - TODAY.com
    I don't consider getting punched in the head by a boxer to be a small hit at all.

I'm talking about slaps.
  • cbreezecbreeze Posts: 3,663Registered User Senior Member
    Sorry, slapping to the head won't cause brain damage. Have to find other excuses.
    ^
    What if it was really, really hard but you still didn't lose consciousness?
    How old were you...are you...when this 'hard slap' came your way? A 22 yr old's body is more able to handle it than a 2 yr old's. Did you notice any changes in your eyesight, hearing, sense of smell?

Once is probably not going to harm you. But there is cumulative damage over the years, even with helmets and gear. The brain is not fixed (exactly) and can slosh around, hitting against the skull. Bruising, swelling, etc., can cause damage. Don't make a habit of it.

And if it was a bf/gf, dump them now.
    ^
    No, my dad from about first grade onward would periodically slap my head if I made a math mistake or something (I'm Asian.)

I'd say it's happened around 100-150 times throughout my entire life. They weren't hard slaps, they were fairly moderate. It was just hypothetical.
    Yeah, my folks used to slap me too. Hated it...only made me sullen and angry. Finally looked my dad in the eye and told I'd kill him if he ever did it again. He didn't. We had a good relationship after that because it was no longer based on unequal power.

I don't understand how people can look in a six-year-old's eyes and hit them. Take a pledge never to do it to your own kid and maybe some good will come of it.

I'm not Asian.
    ^
    Do you have brain damage?
  • SplashMomSplashMom Posts: 1,914Registered User Senior Member
    Saugus, are you being completely serious? Honestly, I think you're yanking our chain. Yes, I believe you when you say you were slapped growing up. I'm not Asian and slapping my face was my mother's preferred method of punishment, especially when I had a smart mouth. She also yanked my pig tails on a regular basis. I can say with certainty that I have no brain damage and have suffered no physical affects from it. I have never slapped my own child, though there were times when I wanted to do so. It was horrible when it happened to me and I wouldn't dream of doing it to my own child. My sister did pick up on that habit from my mother and pops her boy's mouths when they get smart with her. I hope you will not take after your father. What signs or symptoms do you have that make you believe you may have brain damage? Because you appear so very concerned, perhaps you should consult a physician.
    ^
    I have no symptoms whatsoever except not being good at math.

It just seems illogical to me that being hit repeatedly in the head would not cause damage.