Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Febreze spray--does it actually neutralize odors or just cover them up?

AmesieAmesie Posts: 811Registered User Member
edited April 2011 in Parent Cafe
I have a wool blanket that smells a little musty. I am airing it outside but am also thinking that I might try the Febreze spray. Has anyone used it with good results?
Post edited by Amesie on

Replies to: Febreze spray--does it actually neutralize odors or just cover them up?

• MommaJMommaJ Posts: 4,680Registered User Senior Member
    I think it covers them up, sometimes quite effectively, but you have to be willing to live with the smell of the Febreeze. I really hate having a lot of competing aromas in my home, and try to buy the unscented everything, but Febreeze is quite scented. Perhaps if you used Febreeze first and then aired out the blanket, you'd get the best result.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,410Registered User Senior Member
    If you don't care about possible fading, try hanging that blanket outdoors on a bright sunny day.
  • sryrstresssryrstress Posts: 1,766Registered User Senior Member
    I think Febreze smells, a lot, and it's just a cover up smell. I have bad allergies and that stuff really affects me.
  • faithfirst2226faithfirst2226 Posts: 171Registered User Junior Member
    Febreze is just a cover spray. I can't recall the name of it, but there is a neutralizer spray on the market and it is sold around the febreze aisle...seems like it has neutralizer in the title, sorry I can't be more help to remember.
  • SilpatSilpat Posts: 521Registered User Member
    Febreze is an allergy trigger for me, too. I've had good luck sprinkling fabric with baking soda, letting it sit overnight, and then shaking/beating the baking soda out.
  • ChuckleDoodleChuckleDoodle Posts: 420Registered User Member
    We had to use it when son was carsick.... He puked all over his seat. We cleaned up the mess, then febreezed the entire inside of the car, came out the next day and didn't smell any "pukiness". I have a very sensitive nose and if there was any of that horrid smell still in the car, I would have smelled it. We used the extra strength febreeze and it was great.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 16,888Registered User Senior Member
    Musty smell means traces of mold. I doubt Febreze will take care of it. Better yet try Lysol spray, sun/air exposure, vacuuming with baking soda, Nature Miracle...

(I too gag after a few molecules of Febreze bouquet get stuck to my smell receptors.)
  • srwsrw Posts: 1,477Registered User Senior Member
    They do have an unscented Febreze.
  • 12rmh1812rmh18 Posts: 1,822Registered User Senior Member
    I just bought some "Fresh Wave" at Bed Bath Beyond. It was recommended for tough odors by women in my book club. It comes in spray, deodorizing crystals, & carpet powder. So far it seems to have removed bad pet odors from my carpet. It's more expensive than Febreze but has a lighter, more natural scent.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,445Registered User Senior Member
    I'm so sick of things with scent. Hand lotions, soap, shampoo, deodorant, and so forth and so on. Everything I buy, I buy unscented, or I don't buy it.
  • sryrstresssryrstress Posts: 1,766Registered User Senior Member
    VH-- me too!! It is difficult at times to buy unscented though. The unscented Febreze still smells. So do the unscented dryer sheets. It is difficult to live in a world where perfumes are added to almost everything. For those with severe allergies triggered by smell, asthma, etc., it really is a burden. Products don't need to smell to work!!
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,445Registered User Senior Member
    I don't use dryer sheets and, in spite of this failure, my life is still a good one.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,290Registered User Senior Member
    I don't use dryer sheets, but I do like lavender- I use lavender soap on my evergreens in the yard & also use nag champa incense ( that I bought when D was in India & it made me feel closer to her)- it also brings back memories of when incense was very popular in the 70's for another reason.

I like some of the Mrs Meyers scents- but I think airing out your blanket should help a lot if you don't mind a little fading.
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Posts: 16,441Registered User Senior Member
    I'm also bothered by scents. Febreze has never been a problem, but Lysol ... argh.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,290Registered User Senior Member
    I don't like lysoi but my H loves it- i suspect his mom just sprayed it around a lot.
    I told him after you clean up you don't need to spray it around- but he is also bothered by things I like- like pine sol or orange oil.
    He doesn't mind the Murphys soap, but it takes a lot more scrubbing ( & guess who does 99.9% of it?)