Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What do parent's wear to Graduation

learning100learning100 Posts: 33Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2013 in Parent Cafe
Trying to figure out what you wear to Graduation. It is a private university with ceremonies on Saturday by department and then the big ceromony with everyone on Sunday.
Post edited by learning100 on

Replies to: What do parent's wear to Graduation

• SkyhookSkyhook Posts: 1,095Registered User Member
    Wear something nice, but comfortable. Nice slacks or a skirt.

For your own comfort and protection, try to find out whether you are going to be inside or out, sitting in the blistering sun, etc, and how long the ceremonies last. You might need sunscreen, sunglasses, a bottle of water, etc. At some ceremonies, you need binoculars to see your graduate from where you are sitting.
  • redshoesredshoes Posts: 247Registered User Junior Member
    At DS1's graduation last year (at Cornell) people were way more dressed up than I would have guessed. The outfit of choice for women was a linen (or similar) sheath dress. It was broiling, so there were lots of hats too. Men were in jackets and ties, though the jackets came off in the heat.
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Posts: 26,738Registered User Senior Member
    I understand that. It's a special occasion and I think one dresses up for special occasions.
  • oldfortoldfort Posts: 17,017Registered User Senior Member
    I will be in a dress, H will be in a jacket and dress shirt/pants. I may bring a hand held fan if it's really hot. Cornell graduation here too.
  • ellemenopeellemenope Posts: 11,380Registered User Senior Member
    Great reason to buy a new outfit!
  • LasMaLasMa Posts: 8,149Registered User Senior Member
    When D graduates, there will be one non-negotiable for me: flat shoes.
  • CBBBlinkerCBBBlinker Posts: 2,658Registered User Senior Member
    Almost everyone I saw last year at D's graduation (Wake Forest) was quite dressed up -- dresses for women and jacket and tie for men.
  • 360Training360Training Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    yep, make sure your flat shoes goes with your dress.

I agree with Skyhook. Make sure you know if the venue has good ventilation and if the ceremony is strictly formal or what. I remember some parents during my graduation, wearing something nice to look at but you can easily observe how uncomfortable they were with it.
  • MarianMarian Posts: 9,368Registered User Senior Member
    I will be in a dress, H will be in a jacket and dress shirt/pants. I may bring a hand held fan if it's really hot. Cornell graduation here too.

Now you've got me thinking I should buy a decent hat instead of the baseball cap I was planning to wear to Cornell's outdoor graduation to keep my head from getting sunburned.

It's always nice to have an excuse to shop.
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Posts: 6,938Registered User Senior Member
    My oldest son graduated last year on May 1st from Roanoke College in Virginia. The venue was outside but I didn't know if it was going to be a Springy 70 degrees or a cool 65 or a hot 80! I chose a sleeveless dress sort of like this one - Nature print mesh dress | Coldwater Creek and wore it with comfy sandals and a cotton mesh shaw. It worked out very well.
    Of course, since it's Ithaca, this year it could be snowing.
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Posts: 6,938Registered User Senior Member
    Cornell has a pretty late graduation doesn't it? (Nephew is alum) You MIGHT be able to leave the parka home.
    Usually it is the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, so there is a chance it will be nice!
  • kitty56kitty56 Posts: 1,266Registered User Senior Member
    Just bought a new dress for son's Memorial Day weekend graduation. Also did the same for D's graduation 5 years ago. There is a reception the evening before for graduates and their families for which we will also be somewhat dressed up. H will wear a suit and tie.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Posts: 11,550Registered User Senior Member
    We just got the letter yesterday from the college. The ceremony is in two weeks. It's in the mountains on the football field. It has snowed some years and been blazing hot other years (according to the letter.) The letter suggested layers, bring a blanket (to wrap up in), bring sunscreen, bring sunglasses...no heels allowed on the field. Guess I'm wearing pants, sounds "rustic." I'm bringing a dress for the President's reception on Friday night but defintely decided I'm dressing down for the actual graduation ceremony. Can't wait, we're so proud of him for "getting it done."