Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Putting together a family cookbook

ksmksm Posts: 251Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2011 in Parent Cafe
I am planning to put together the "best of Mom's kitchen" cookbook for the kids for Christmas so that they can produce everything from homemade pickles to playdough in the years ahead. I am looking for suggestions on how to proceed, such as do I need a particular computer program? This is new territory for me!! I learn everything I know from CC and You Tube! Suggestions welcome!
Post edited by ksm on

Replies to: Putting together a family cookbook

• blueiguanablueiguana Posts: 7,496Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks for posting this ksm. I'd also love to know if anyone has found something specific to recipes beyond just photo printing books. I'd also love to put all my recipes onto a digital recipe book on the computer (besides just word dox). If anyone has software they like for this please share!
  • momofbostonmomofboston Posts: 894Registered User Member
    I use www(dot)tastebook(dot)com
  • blueiguanablueiguana Posts: 7,496Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks momofboston. I just made an account and have easily moved several recipes that I had on word dox. I can also ask family members to get accounts, put in recipes and share. I can then compile a book for all the grandkids. It looks like just what I was looking for!! I also like that I can search recipes on food network and hit save. :)
  • MarianMarian Posts: 9,277Registered User Senior Member
    This is slightly off-topic, but I worry about compilations of old family recipes because some of the recipes may be out of date in terms of food safety.

For example, some recipes may date back to the period before there was Salmonella contamination of intact eggs or E. coli contamination of ground beef. The foods may contain raw eggs or undercooked meat, which could cause serious illnesses.

I would rather see old family recipes die than have the same thing happen to family members.
  • ksmksm Posts: 251Registered User Junior Member
    Thank you, Momofboston! The website you recommended is exactly what I was looking for. I will definitely use it. Love my CC friends!
    Do not worry, Marian. I am sure that S sampled my homemade play dough in his early years and he is still doing well :)
  • gosmomgosmom Posts: 982Registered User Member
    One of the problems with the old, cherished recipes is that the food manufacturers are reducing the amounts in containers. Granted, Grandma's old favorite, comfort food (for me!) recipes tended to include canned or bottled ingredients. But the portions don't always translate well to Granny's recipes: a can of veggies used to be 16 or 17 oz. Now it's 14. A jar of pasta sauce used to be 24 oz.; now it's 20. Boo.

So, my attempts aren't as good as Grandma's (but then it always tastes better when someone else cooks!) Anxious to check out website, as (hard to believe) my kids have
    asked about some recipes...
  • snowballsnowball Posts: 2,246Registered User Senior Member
    My kids have asked for a few recipes so I keep them as a word doc and email when needed. Just the other day my daughter called for my cole slaw recipe and I was not at home; no problem, I had emailed it to my aunt a few months again, so just forwarded it to my daughter.

While my kids never appreciated my cooking when they were living at home, it is nice to know they have acquired a taste for mom's cooking; ok, most of the recipes are my mother's, but they are still family recipes!

The above website would allow us to share our recipes!!
  • SplashMomSplashMom Posts: 1,913Registered User Senior Member
    Several years ago, my cousin took all my grandmother's handwritten recipes to a printer and had them typed, copied and bound in a cookbook for her mother, my sister and me. She told the printer not to change any misspellings ... we all love reading them the exact way Grandma wrote them. It's one of my favorite gifts. Great idea, ksm ... your kids will love it, I'm sure.
  • SkyhookSkyhook Posts: 1,095Registered User Member
    Hey, momofboston, that is a great website. Thanks!