Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Old Navy fails grammar

frazzled1frazzled1 Posts: 4,908Registered User Senior Member
edited September 2011 in Parent Cafe
Syracuse University among colleges in Old Navy's new line of (grammatically incorrect) T-shirts | syracuse.com

Well, a lot of people never master the possessive apostrophe. But you'd think someone at Old Navy would have noticed one was missing before coming out with T-shirts that say "Lets Go [College Name]". To get into Stanford, Duke, or Notre Dame, you've got to proofread those essays. Someone couldn't proofread a T-shirt?
Post edited by frazzled1 on

Replies to: Old Navy fails grammar

• artloversplusartloversplus Posts: 4,893Registered User Senior Member
    Some times it is intentional to make mistakes on t-shirt so to attract your attention. I have seen Chinese writings on T-shirt that does make any sense at all.
  • razorsharprazorsharp Posts: 6,020Registered User Senior Member
    I cant stand stupid people. They say wheel git over it, but I wont.
  • coureurcoureur Posts: 11,386Registered User Senior Member
    >>Some times it is intentional to make mistakes on t-shirt so to attract your attention. I have seen Chinese writings on T-shirt that does make any sense at all. <<

In the US the Chinese writing is probably put on clothing for artistic effect rather than for meaning. I've seen the same thing in reverse in Japan - shirts with "English" phrases that make no sense an often have misspellings. When I knew I was really dealing with bogus T-shirts in Japan was when I saw one that said UCLA, but the shirt was in USC's school colors,
  • artloversplusartloversplus Posts: 4,893Registered User Senior Member
    When I knew I was really dealing with bogus T-shirts in Japan was when I saw one that said UCLA, but the shirt was in USC's school colors,

I am in sympathy of that Japanese guy got killed in an USC/UCLA game..:)
  • patsmompatsmom Posts: 2,989Registered User Senior Member
    The Lands' End Men catalog that's out now has a page of men's chinos that says "Nothing phases the chino". It should be fazes. Where are the proofreaders and editors these days?
  • shellzshellz Posts: 722Registered User Member
    Patsmom....phases could be correct. Chinos are timeless....the allure doesn't change from one phase of time to another. Or maybe just a silly play on words.

Dunno...maybe that is too esoteric an interpretation.
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 35,401Registered User Senior Member
    We have a tshirt (though I think DS just gave it to a friend who will get better mileage out of it) that says: GEORIGA TECH
    Had to read it a few times before seeing the typo, adn then loved the irony, so bought it for the enteratinment value.
  • MADadMADad Posts: 1,346Registered User Senior Member
    I recall one time somebody got busted at a flea market (or someplace similar) selling counterfeit Tommy Hilfiger gear.

The designer's surname was spelled "Hillfinger" on the shirst, but they were selling briskly anyway!!
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Posts: 14,942Registered User Senior Member
    adn then
    on the shirst

Not trying to be the spelling police (I make a fair number of typos myself), but couldn't help but giggle given the theme of the thread.
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Posts: 14,942Registered User Senior Member
    In the US the Chinese writing is probably put on clothing for artistic effect rather than for meaning
    My favorite story along that line was about a lady who liked the Chinese writing on a Chinese menu so much that she knitted it into a sweater. She proudly wore it until a Chinese person did a double take when he/she read it. That's the day she discovered the pretty symbols read "Quick and Cheap"
    Always have been a very fast, albeit very inaccurate typist. I double-checked the "Georiga Tech" spelling-- but nothing else. At least I am consistent-- I almost always have typos in my posts :)
    jym-
    thought is was intentional! ;-)
    Yup, shellz, that's the ticket! :)
    Oh geez....mine was NOT intentional. Just pre-coffee!!
  • SchmaltzSchmaltz Posts: 3,114- Senior Member
    From the excessive use of exclamation points on the Old Navy shirts, it's clear they were written by a female.

Sent from a Smith Corona I've hooked up to a rotary-dial telephone.