Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Penn State Sandusky scandal

momofa12momofa12 Posts: 184Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2013 in Parent Cafe
As the mom of a future PSU hopeful, I am appalled by the stories in the news today. Is this making national news everywhere, or is it still just PA right now? I am most disgusted at the behavior of the PSU administration/
Post edited by momofa12 on

Replies to: Penn State Sandusky scandal

• jaylynnjaylynn Posts: 1,161Registered User Senior Member
    It's everywhere, at least in sports news, unfortunately. Repugnant.
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Posts: 26,107Registered User Senior Member
    I saw it on my news (I'm in Illinois) -- it caught my attention as I have a friend with a freshman D at Penn State.
  • momofa12momofa12 Posts: 184Registered User Junior Member
    it brings home the article someone posted on here a while ago about the way sports/athletes run some schools. I know that had a fair share of detractors, but as a parent, this is worrisome to me.
  • 4gsmom4gsmom Posts: 379Registered User Member
    Another potential Penn State mom. This story is heartbreaking and sickening.
  • latepartylateparty Posts: 316Registered User Member
    It' in news out here in CA. Awful story.
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Posts: 16,269Registered User Senior Member
    Disgusting. I know the reports say that Paterno told someone when he heard a report, but where's the follow-up? Everyone looks bad.
  • annasdadannasdad Posts: 4,825Registered User Senior Member
    One of the most disgusting things about it is the statement from Penn State's president, which expresses full support for the two administrators charged with covering up the event. It reads like something a defense attorney would say. So Big College Football - when your precious program is endangered, circle the wagons.
  • saxsax Posts: 4,351Registered User Senior Member
    Let's make sure we start with the facts from the reporters news article as this discussion rolls on.

Sandusky retired as a coach of PSU football 11 years ago in 1999 at the age of 55. He was part of PSU football for 30 years

Sandusky started a program for at risk youth in 1977 and used Penn States facilities for it. He continued to bring youth into PSU's facilities after his retiement. The program continues to this day.

8 boys were targets between 1994 and 2009 (15 years)

In 2009 a mom reported the abuse to her sons high school. This started the official investigation

In 2002 a grad student witnessed a sexual assault and reported it immediately to Paterno. Paterno says he immediately reported it to the athletic director of the college.

The athletic director (Curley) and the vice president for finance and business (Schultz) questioned this grad student about 10 days after Paterno reported it to them.They state that the grad student only reported non sexual horsing around to them. They barred Sandusky from bringing kids on campus. They reported this to the president of PSU (Spanier). They did not report this to any law inforcement officer.

A janitor witnessed an assault in 2000.

Schultz stated he knew of a 1998 investigation of abuse although the news article says the first case to come to light was the 2009 case.

So for those in the University accused of knowing of the abuse and not reporting it, it all boils down to who is lying. The grad student or Curly/Schultz. What did the grad student tell Paterno? What did Paterno tell Curly? What did Curly/Schultz tell Spanier? The grand jury believes that Curly/Schultz were lying. The grand jury believes Paterno and Spanier were not implicated.

WOW. It's chilling that Sandusky started his "at risk youth program". Classic child abuser move on his part.

If the grad student actually told Paterno of a sexual assault I would think Paterno would also be implicated in not telling the police. Since he was not implicated I assume the athletic director was Paterno's boss and Paterno may have been following university policy by taking it to his immediate supervisor. Who knows? This appears to also be the case for the grad assistant who witnessed the event.

What happened with the abuse in 1998?

In any case this is pretty horrible stuff. All OF THE ABOVE ADULTS should have gone to the police in my opinion. Sadly none of them did. I believe Spanier will come to regret his statement of support.
  • glidoglido Posts: 5,076Registered User Senior Member
    "In 2002 a grad student witnessed a sexual assault and reported it immediately to Paterno. Paterno says he immediately reported it to the athletic director of the college."

Grad student should have called the police, not the football coach.
  • momofa12momofa12 Posts: 184Registered User Junior Member
    the more I read about this story, the more sickened I become. How can the University president possibly stand behind his actions or the the actions of the other two? HIs protestations that he didn't know there was an allegation of sexual abuse is completely ludicrous. Understanding that he may not have known the whole story, the ultimate point is that he refused to turn this matter over to the police. As to the grad student - maybe he should have gone to the police as well. No, he definately should have gone to the police as well. But I am assuming he was a younger student faced with being alone in a sea of Penn State athletics and possible impact to his graduate career. I am more sympathetic to how overwhelming that must have been to the young man. There is no excuse for the college administration and the head "public safety" officer.

As a parent, do any of you think that faced with a sexual assault by a player or coach against your daughter (or son) that the administration would properly investigate, report and handle that charge? I for one have NO confidence. Thus, I think it would be a cold day before I send either of my children to this university. how sad. for all of us. And I am sending a letter to the board of trustees and the governor's office with my feelings.
  • poetgrlpoetgrl Posts: 12,540Registered User Senior Member
    no school will investigate criminal activity on its campus the way the police will investigate. I don't know why people believe that they will. The primary job of the school and those who work for the school is to protect the institution.

If you witness criminal activity or are the victim of criminal activity on a college campus, you need to go to the local police.
  • JHSJHS Posts: 14,061Registered User Senior Member
    I don't think this has a whole lot to do with Penn State or any of its students. It clearly does have something to do with the Penn State football program and its culture, but even then not necessarily all that much. And as loathe as I am to let Graham Spanier off the hook for anything connected with Penn State football, I can't imagine a world in which a university president is supposed to be the one responsible for reporting an assistant football coach to the police.

Anyway, this guy was a fairly revered assistant coach, and I think his program for at-risk kids was widely admired. I understand why everyone tried to give him the benefit of the doubt before running to the police with previous allegations, and why there was a lot of buck-passing going on.

But the story as told makes absolutely no sense. And what really makes no sense is the free pass Paterno seems to be getting. He, not the AD, not the VP for finance or the university president, was the guy's boss. (And make no mistake about it -- he was the AD's boss, too. And in some ways Spanier's also.) So he reported an allegation to the AD. Did he follow up? Did the AD tell him the allegation was baseless? Did he have a talk with his assistant about it? How not? And how much did this have to do with the assistant's resignation (without another job) not much more than a year later? This was one of the guys considered a serious candidate to replace Paterno when he retired, and even ten years ago that was considered imminent. (That, or a run for political office.) He just walked away, and it had nothing to do with this? I bet.
  • 12rmh1812rmh18 Posts: 1,806Registered User Senior Member
    momofa12 wrote:
    "Is this making national news everywhere, or is it still just PA right now?

There is a scathing column on the front page of today's Washington Post sport section.
  • 2education2education Posts: 927Registered User Member
    Thanks 12 for posting this. Very disturbing :mad:
  • chocoholicchocoholic Posts: 2,995Registered User Senior Member
    I cannot believe that Joe Paterno is being given a free pass on this!!!! His responses are shameful and unforgivable.

Reading the 23-page Grand Jury report made me sick to my stomach.

Joe Paterno should resign from the Honorary Board if he had even an inkling about this. This is absolutely chilling!!!