Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Otterbox vs. Lifebox for IPhone??

katie93momkatie93mom Posts: 162Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2011 in Parent Cafe
Any experience with the durability of the otterbox or lifebox for Iphones? My D is very hard on her phones (sighs and shakes head) they get dropped in toilets (I don't even want to know how) dropped on the driveway almost daily, etc.
I was about to replace her otterbox (it is cracked in two places after only 3 months!) and heard about the Lifebox..is it a sturdier option? Any advice appreciated...
Post edited by katie93mom on

Replies to: Otterbox vs. Lifebox for IPhone??

• patsmompatsmom Posts: 3,015Registered User Senior Member
    I bought an Otterbox case for my iPhone 3GS and I love it. It's been dropped a couple of times with no damage at all. It has a rubber part that surrounds the phone and then a hard plastic cart that snaps on over the rubber so it's cushioned really well.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 15,955Registered User Senior Member
    Otterbox is great (no experience with the other) but neither will save your D's phone from a toilet swim. I highly recommend getting a $3 camera wrist strap and attaching it to the phone's case.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Posts: 16,915Registered User Senior Member
    My son in law has an Otterbox case that basically triples the size of his iPhone, but it looks like it would survive anything (but water). My own otterbox is smaller profile and, frankly, a little slippery. To me, the key thing is keeping a good grip on the thing. Also, you need a good lip for when you frop it face down. I think the more rubbery cases are good. The new iPhone warranty (add-on) covers a lot more types of damage, including water, I believe.
  • blueiguanablueiguana Posts: 7,496Registered User Senior Member
    The otterbox is also available for android. My son has one and really likes it. The only thing he doesn't like is the rubber edge gets hung up on his jeans pockets. There is a version that is less 'grippy' so your DD may want to try it on her phone before purchasing and try pulling it in and out of her pocket or purse, wherever she is likely to keep it.
  • deega123deega123 Posts: 383Registered User Member
    My little darling's otter box lasted about six months before it cracked. She didn't like how bulky it was so we replaced it with elago slim fit case. It remains to be seen if our next purchase will be another otter box or a new phone or both.
  • KajonKajon Posts: 3,538Registered User Senior Member
    S1 has the Lifeproof case for 4S and loves it - though it was spendy ($80)
  • SouthJerseyChessMomSouthJerseyChessMom Posts: 2,517Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks KatieMom for this thread. Perfectly timed. D and I will be first time iphone users when they arrive in December. While at the Verizon store, I took the salesperon's advice and bought Otterbox-Defender- (didn't know a thing about these before she suggested a cover, because she broke two iphones herself) and they were buy one get one free.

But, they look so heavy, D is balking about using it regularly (what's the point then), and I have 30 days to decide.

Carry on folks-
    love CC!!!!!!!
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Posts: 16,915Registered User Senior Member
    I think women are much less likely to break an iPhone, especially if you carry a purse. I don't think you need as heavy of a case as a guy might. There are exceptions, of course, and the Catch 22 is that a big case is harder for guys to put in pants pockets. My son won't use ANY case and just has the thin bumper that iPhone sent for free when they had the antenna issue. That protects the screen if you drop the phone.
  • eastcoascrazyeastcoascrazy Posts: 1,875Registered User Senior Member
    Upon the occasion of replacing an Iphone due to a cracked screen, we asked for case recommendations at the Apple store. Like the chorus line of a broadway show, 4 employees, in unison, held up their Iphones and said, "Otterbox Defender".

We also asked at the Verizon store, and got much the same answer.

We don't care that it makes the sexy Iphone look like a preschool toy. It works.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 32,846Registered User Senior Member
    We don't care that it makes the sexy Iphone look like a preschool toy.

;)

I drop my iPhone a lot, but just have a Switcheasy silicone case. ( I like the protective cover over the home button)
    I can't imagine what must happen to crack an Otterbox.

My H doesn't use a case for his iPod touch & he takes it to work with him in a factory. He cracked the screen when it was in his pocket and he stuck tools in there before he climbed through the wing of a plane.
    :rolleyes:
    It still works however & although we had a backup, he likes the feel of his 1st gen, more than the slimmer later versions.

Reviews: Griffin Survivor Extreme-Duty Case for iPhone 4 | iLounge
  • fendergirlfendergirl Posts: 4,647Registered User Senior Member
    I'm going to get the otterbox commuter case for my two phones - one is an android and the other is a blackberry.
  • katie93momkatie93mom Posts: 162Registered User Junior Member
    After some additional google searches/reviews...The Lifeproof (sorry I called it a lifebox before...!)case has been ordered! It is about twice as expensive as the Otterbox...but as I said my darling D has already cracked her first Otterbox in two places after only 4 months....so hopefully the new case will be more sturdy! It does have specs that outpace the otterbox...but she seems to be able to break anything!
  • wbowwbow Posts: 972Registered User Member
    i have personally cracked the glass on 3 iphones. i have a good friend that can replace the glass on ipads, so he has learned a lot about replacing the glass on iphones! you can buy a glass replacement kit on ebay for around $15. Or, I think you can have the glass replaced at an apple store for just a bit more.

iused a film cover over the broken glass to keep from cutting myself and waited until someone else on our plan needed/wanted a phone and then i would take their old iphone!

i now have a hand me down iphone 4--i bought a rubbery kind of case--just can't spring for the clunky otterbox or lifebox.....you'd think i'd learn.....