Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What do you use your KitchenAid stand mixer for?

Replies to: What do you use your KitchenAid stand mixer for?

• lefthandofdoglefthandofdog Registered User Posts: 1,429 Senior Member
    I held off for over 10 years - determined I wouldn't get one un til we had the counter space. Don't know why I waited as I love it. I keep it on my small counter and have the Artisan with the tilt head - fits under the cabinets more easily.

In addition to mixing (made my Gram's rolls today - half cinnamon and half Parker House), I use it to mix up the natural peanut butter we buy. I dump the whole jar in, scrape it out and mix it a couple minutes. Then I scrape it back into two jars, as it doesn't fit in one. Then I refrigerate it so it won't separate. Why, oh why, do they fill jars of unhomogenized peanut butter to the brim? I'll never know why, but my Kitchenaid is the answer.
  • vlinesvlines Registered User Posts: 3,579 Senior Member
    milkand sugar, mine is 18 years old, and just lost low speed, and complains on high speed. I am looking at those new colors, and can't decide which one I want to replace mine!
  • lefthandofdoglefthandofdog Registered User Posts: 1,429 Senior Member
    Mine was reconditioned, which is a nice way to save money. Looked perfectly new to me and I've has no problems -it's probably five years old.
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Registered User Posts: 7,701 Senior Member
    My Kitchen-aid mixer is 26 years old! I got it when my daughter was a baby and have used it probably once every two weeks since then. I use it for everything except mashed potatoes - I like to use my ricer for them. If mine died, I would go out the next day and replace it with the same one!
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,052 Senior Member
    Last year the big kiddo who really likes to bake asked Santa for one. Santa had quite a weightlifting session while carrying the box from Costco to the car and then into the house. :)
  • OnwardOnward Registered User Posts: 2,775 Senior Member
    My Kitchen-aid is 30 and I mainly use it to mix up double batches of cookies that are too thick for me to mix. I also rarely use it for bread dough. I also have the meat grinder that I use to make ground ham from left over ham. It is great for ham salad. I really should use it more as it is a great machine. I have never found it a pain to clean as all the implements go in the dishwasher. I keep mine on the pantry floor as I have just decided to try and keep the clutter down on my counters. It is heavy but not so bad that I can't lift it once in a while and not too bad that I am too lazy to do so!
  • churchmusicmomchurchmusicmom Registered User Posts: 4,059 Senior Member
    I have had mine (cinnamon red artisan model) for right at 5 years so far. Love it!

I use it for baking everything, including dough for pizzas and calzones, cookies, all sorts of treats at Christmas, cakes, etc. I also find it easy to clean....not sure what that's about (someone saying it was hard to keep clean). I just wipe it off with a damp cloth and wash the beaters in the dishwasher (except the whisk, which I wash by hand).

I think it's kind of funny how much Kitchen Aid mixers show up in photos of designer kitchens and on decorating shows featuring kitchens. It's portrayed as an essential, and in fact it has turned out to be just that for me! I love mine! When we did a big remodel on our kitchen 5 years ago, and I planned a space just for baking and my mixer sits nicely in its spot on the counter. I love the way it looks.
  • gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Don't use mine much but I still love it. 30+ years. Great piece of equipment.
    Wedding present. (It's like having a classic car in the garage that doesn't get out much but should).
  • lastminutemom196lastminutemom196 Registered User Posts: 694 Member
    Two years ago, my husband purchased one for me for Hanukah as my 20+ year old Sunbeam stand mixer was making "sounds of death!" I looked at the pretty thing in the box for several days before having him return it. I just couldn't justify the high cost given how little I thought I would use.

Instead, I got a sturdy hand mixer, which I love. I don't bake at all from scratch and so I am just mixing "mixes" generally or other recipes.

I think if you are a baker it is a great investment...
  • TutuTaxiTutuTaxi Registered User Posts: 1,531 Senior Member
    Mine is on the counter and I use it primarily for baking...but I do a fair amount of that. Mine is in a corner and I pull it forward when I use it so I can tilt it back to add ingredients.
    ^^ ditto - I have a red one w/ a stainless bowl and I use it primarily for baking (cookies, cakes, breads, and the like). I no longer use it for mashed potatoes …. I use a ricer instead (better texture). I would love to have the glass bowl, but I don’t think you can purchase it separately.

To be perfectly honest – until 10 years ago I used a Braun stand mixer (purchased in the early ‘80s) and I liked it better - you can easily scrap the sides of the bowl while the machine is running. My only complaint about the KitchenAide mixer is having to stop the machine and tilt back the head in order to scrap down the sides of the bowl.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 32,052 Senior Member
    My old Oster was a royal pain. It was so loud everyone would leave the room while it was on. The Kitchenaid Artisan purrs like a kitten yet it does the same job in half the time! I hesitated to use the Oster when we had company because the kitchen faces the living room. There is no way I can make dumplings dough with a handheld mixer, so when I could not use the Oster the process was messy and long: make a pile of flour on the counter, make a small hole at the top of the pile, break an egg into the hole, add some salt and water, and keep mixing and kneading with both hands adding water and vegetable oil as needed. With the Kitchenaid, I just throw all liquids in the bowl and add flour as the dough hook spins the mix. The dough is ready in a few minutes, and the guests and family members do not even notice the sounds.

This year Santa felt guilty about not having any time to get me much for Christmas so he got me a present for the New Year: a Bamix immersion blender. Santa said it was the only one he could find at Williams Sonoma that was not made in China. I guess I should start a thread on what one can do with an immersion blender. :)
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,120 Senior Member
    I've never had a stand mixer. I think if I did more baking I would want one. I do have a cuisinart dlc7 pro that is older than my son. I use it for lots of things including cookie doughs and breads...and chopping and slicing and pur
  • downtoearthdowntoearth Registered User Posts: 3,201 Senior Member
    We use it mostly for breakfast. got it last year and I love it. I couldnt believe the difference in mixing as compared to a hand mixer or by hand. I wish I had gotten one sooner. I have really been trying to make things from scratch as I want to know what in the foods I ingest.. I have a stainless one.
  • dragonmomdragonmom Registered User Posts: 5,613 Senior Member
    My KitchenAid is more than 25 years old. It's starting to make some grinding noises but still works great. When the kids were all at home I made bread twice a week, pizza dough weekly, cookies, etc. Now we use it probably two or three times a month, more during the holidays. D2 asked for one for her 21st birthday. Son wants one as soon as he has a kitchen larger than a sardine can.
    If you do get one, my vote is for the tilt head model. Mom has the bowl-lift larger one and it's a pain. You have to remove the beater to remove the bowl.
  • sk8rmomsk8rmom Registered User Posts: 5,746 Senior Member
    Mine has made hundreds of cakes, cookies, and frostings over the years and not much else. It's very handy for big batches and I like having my hands free when mixing but probably wouldn't replace it. It lives on an upper shelf in the pantry because it's a pain to haul out of lower cupboards.
This discussion has been closed.