Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Sudden clumsiness

zoosermomzoosermom Posts: 23,600Registered User Senior Member
edited February 2012 in Parent Cafe
Has anyone had a phase of time when they suddenly became more accident prone than usual? In the last week, I've misjudged a bus seat and whacked my knee so hard it is still twice its normal size, not to mention a fabulous array of colors. Then I have burned myself three times by reaching into the oven and accidentally hitting the rack with my forearms. They look very ugly. I bent back my thumb painfully when moving out my desk chair the other day (it's still hard to open the toothpaste tube). Then just now I was walking through glass doors at my office and somehow managed to smash my shoulder, upper arm and elbow hard enough that I know I'm going to be seriously black and blue.

I don't know if I need holy water or if I should be worried. FYI: I'm 46 and very physically fit as a rule. Anyone have things like this happen all in a bunch?
Post edited by zoosermom on

Replies to: Sudden clumsiness

• Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Posts: 7,886Registered User Senior Member
    It's probably absolutely nothing. Then again, there are a few serious conditions which herald their appearance this way. If your clumsiness continues, I'd go and get yourself checked out, just for your peace of mind.
  • musicamusicamusicamusica Posts: 5,110Registered User Senior Member
    This periodically happens to me. Two things seem to be at play. I have allergies that sometimes affects my inner ear and that throws off my balance. Also, I am frequently distracted by the 1000 other things running through my mind (instead of the task at hand).
    The scars I have on my forearms are a joke in the family....my BIL bought me some extra long oven mits ten years ago to address the problem.
  • suzy100suzy100 Posts: 1,737Registered User Senior Member
    I find that this happens to me when I'm distracted, stressed or overly tired. I'm fairly well coordinated, but when I get like this I turn corners short and hit the frame of a door, hit my head getting out of the car, etc. I think if you don't have any muscle weakness or any other issues, it's probably nothing but it continues if it can't hurt to see a doctor.
  • MyLBMyLB Posts: 1,102Registered User Senior Member
    I thought this was going to be another "it really sucks getting old" thread. I've noticed that I seem to go through spells of dropping things as I've gotten older. I've broken a plate and a cup this week (so far). Definitely burn myself more on the oven and what-not. I think I'm just generally less coordinated/have a worse sense of where my body parts are. Maybe you're just having a really bad week?
  • zoosermomzoosermom Posts: 23,600Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks guys! I think it probably is just a really bad week. My daughter was joking that I better not drop dead unexpectedly with all these bruises and burns on me because my husband would be in big trouble.
  • pugmadkatepugmadkate Posts: 5,807Registered User Senior Member
    I think overall I am becoming less coordinated as I age and, sadly, I did not start out that strong!

But some weeks are worse than others and I'm sorry you've had such a bad one.
  • familyof3boysfamilyof3boys Posts: 1,209Registered User Senior Member
    Also, if you are taking any medication that thins the blood at all, you will tend to bruise more easily. Even aspirin or ibuprofen may cause increased bruising.
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 22,898Registered User Senior Member
    It happens to me when I am tired and stressed out.
  • MomLiveMomLive Posts: 2,370Registered User Senior Member
    Geez, that's me on a regular day. Seriously. I've never really stopped to analyze it but my guess is for me it's due to being distracted, not having the greatest depth perception and moving too fast. I'm also not the most coordinated of people - can't do things like follow an aerobics class to save my life. I'm constantly bumping, bruising and burning myself. I generally blame it on the fact that I'm left-handed (it's got to be good for something!)

I'm also the queen of bruising due to my clumsiness but it does tend to intensify when I'm really busy doing things like moving boxes, etc.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues and you really feel like it's out of character for you.
  • zoosermomzoosermom Posts: 23,600Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks for the good wishes and support! It's good to know this happens to others, too.
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Posts: 8,221Registered User Senior Member
    I think you should get your eyes checked- it sounds like you may be losing some peripheral perception or are gauging distance to objects in front of or around you incorrectly, for some reason. Get thee to ophthalmologist, stat.
  • rockymtnhighrockymtnhigh Posts: 803Registered User Member
    happened alot more when i was younger- ever since wearing contacts instead of glasses much much less!....if i put my glasses on- it happens again.... ? peripheral vision? i am quite near sided......also much worse when tired
  • vlinesvlines Posts: 3,579Registered User Senior Member
    When i was pregnant......

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC
  • RobDRobD Posts: 5,059Registered User Senior Member
    What menloparkmom said. Eye changes happen so gradually that they're often hard to miss.

I am a world class klutz from way back when but I find that things get worse if I'm too busy, distracted, annoyed, deep in thought etc. Just one night of bad sleep can have me getting out of bed dizzy.

Sorry Zooser.
  • Lemaitre1Lemaitre1 Posts: 1,736Registered User Senior Member
    I am a physician and while it is probably of no clinical significance I think that this is something you should definitely make an appointment and talk to your doctor about.