Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

New York - Summer Housing

MaterMiaMaterMia Posts: 1,073Registered User Senior Member
edited April 2012 in Parent Cafe
Ok - New York experts - any ideas for summer housing for a student with an internship? The work place is near 66th and Central Park West in what I believe is called the Upper West Side - right next to Central Park.

Web sites to look for sublets? Student housing near by? Are there really problems with illegal sublets? (Renters who sublet without landlord permission?)

Will need to use bus, subway or feet to get around.

What else?

Thanks.
Post edited by MaterMia on

Replies to: New York - Summer Housing

• paying3tuitionspaying3tuitions Posts: 13,328Super Moderator Senior Member
    airbnb.com
    Type in Manhattan, NY, click off "private bedroom", or maybe "shared bedroom", put some dates and cost parameters on, then search.
    If you're outside of NYC, you can actually get something this way, with patience. These are at budget-vacationer rates.

Other people have used Craigslist.

Illegal sublets - a new law was passed in the past year. But I was told by my NYC son (hope he's correct) this was aimed at people who were subletting many apartments throughout an entire year as a sequence of sublets, a week or month at a time. This creates a rooming-house situation in what should have be private apartment buildings. I think if you make one arrangement with someone who's trying to sublet on a one-time basis, you're not the target and shouldn't have that problem.

Renters subletting without landlord's permission should be avoided, I believe, in case there's any accident or fire in the apartment - liability. If a group situation is found (for example, by Craigslist), inquire how it's being handled to notify the landlord. I'm sure many students aren't doing it correctly, so you have to decide if you want to pass on those situations.

also: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1147108-summer-housing-nyc.html?highlight=new+york+summer+housing

Here's a good site to calculate public transit from any point to everwhere else. HopStop.com - New York Transit Directions: Subway, Train, Bus, ferry, Bike & Taxi

Hopefully, Manhattan will work out, but if not also look in boroughs which are not too many subway stops away in Brooklyn (Williamsburg, Park Slope are nice), Queens (Astoria, Long Island City), or New Jersey by Path train (Hoboken might work). Try hard for Manhattan, though; it's just one summer and will be more convenient if it can be found.

For years I've suggested on these boards that students coming for such short amount of time try to contact nearby churches or synagogues to see if the minister or office knows any empty-nest or active-elderly congregants on Social Security who'd like to make some easy money by renting out their own child's bedroom for a few months. To me, that makes sense because the furniture and trophies are all right there :) and it's a move-in situation with a reliable host.
  • milkandsugarmilkandsugar Posts: 2,869Registered User Senior Member
    My daughter goes to NYU. their off-campus housing office has put together a good resource guide for temporary or short term housing in Manhattan, including hostels, bed and breakfasts, coed dorms located in the city. I will post link. Also they do offer their dorms for summer housing for anyone.
    http://www.nyu.edu/housing/offcampus/lodging/shortterm/
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Posts: 9,363Registered User Senior Member
    If you're interested in the NYU dorms, you should get your application in quickly as they've been accepting apps for a month now. Having known lots of kids who have done this through the years, it's a good option, although the location isn't ideal for someone working on the UWS. The cost for a single in a traditional dorm is about $330/wk and a single in an apt. style dorm is about $360/wk. Mealplans are available in a range of $115-145/wk depending on the number of meals. In a traditional dorm, a mealplan is required. The numbers I've cited are for dorms with A/C. You do not want to be in one of the non-A/C dorms in the summer. The two, arguably, nicest buildings are only available to NYU registered students.
  • danceclassdanceclass Posts: 728Registered User Member
    Are there any boarding houses for women left? Like the one in the movie Stage Door. I'm an architect in NY and I just oversaw the conversion of one into a regular hotel. I love the concept - each young women has her own small room, there's a shared bathroom down the hall, and there's a dining room and parlor on the ground floor for entertaining guests. I'm sure it was the perfect set up for a temporary residence back in the day.
  • franglishfranglish Posts: 2,308Registered User Senior Member
    Educational Housing Services

This site has various places. Not at all sure about the cost or the quality, but you could check it out.
  • MarianMarian Posts: 9,384Registered User Senior Member
  • GTalumGTalum Posts: 2,155Registered User Senior Member
    Hopefully, my son will be in the same position. Unfortunately, he won't know until April 1 if he has the internship he wants in NY.
  • MaterMiaMaterMia Posts: 1,073Registered User Senior Member
    You guys are the best - as always - thanks so much for the ideas. If you have more - love to hear them. GTalum - hope it works out! I know - I was glad he found out this early so he has time to put things together.
  • berkmountainberkmountain Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    My daughter just got summer housing through the New School. It's air conditioned, suite style, located on East 15th St. near 2nd ave. The 14th st Union Square station can get one anywhere in the city, east or west side. There is a minimum of 8 weeks and an maximum of 10, from May 27-Aug. 4. The cost is $280 per week. They let you know right away if there is a spot available, unlike NYU which says 4-6 weeks and you may not get a room with air conditioning. FIT also offers summer housing for $3300 for 10 weeks and you must pay for all 10 weeks. That is located on West 31st St. between 9th and 10th ave. Those have air conditioning and are suites. All of these residences have security.
  • CaliforniaDancerCaliforniaDancer Posts: 1,577Registered User Senior Member
    Almost four years ago (yikes!), I attended the Joffrey Ballet School's summer intensive and I stayed at the New School, as mentioned ^ by berkmountain. I can testify that while the rooms are small (and mine was not air conditioned), the lounges are spacious and air conditioned, and the location is amazing (also easy access to many, many subway lines).
  • SeahorsesrockSeahorsesrock Posts: 1,638Registered User Senior Member
    Might check fordham as well, and some students at nyu may sublet their apartments over summer. My daughter did a sublet and it was fine.
  • oldfortoldfort Posts: 17,050Registered User Senior Member
    Student Services Housing :: Summer Housing :: NYC Summer Intern Housing

D1 stayed at the one around Chelse, not sure if that facility is still open to summer interns. What´s nice about their housing is rooms are air-conditined. D1´s friend stayed at one of NYU dorms, without AC and it was very uncomfortable. NYC tends to get very humid and hot in the summer.

Cross posted with berkmountain.
  • MaterMiaMaterMia Posts: 1,073Registered User Senior Member
    Ok - any thoughts about the New School - which is around
    New School Summer Housing
    79 Fifth Avenue, 5th Floor
    New York, NY 10003

or the Fashion Institue of Technology which is located 406 West 31st Street, New York, NY 10001 (between 9th and 10th Avenues)

FIT is closer to LIncoln Center will he be working - but just some last thoughts if it was between these two?

thanks.
  • oldfortoldfort Posts: 17,050Registered User Senior Member
    79 fifth ave is where your kid wants to be. It is 5th and 15/16th St, walking distance to Union Square, where almost every subway goes through. It is walking distance to the meat pack district (all the bars and restaurants). 9th and 31st St, not as nice.
  • berkmountainberkmountain Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    The 79 Fifth Ave. is where the offices are for the New School Housing Office. The summer residences are Stuyvesant Residence, East 15th between 1st and 2nd, Williams St.(financial district) and they just opened up singles for $340/wk at 20th st. residence (8th ave and w.20th st.) The singles are in a 12 person suite with 2 bathrooms, a full kitchen and centra air. Its near the C train (23rd and 8th ave.) You can take the C train to 59 st. and Central Park West. or take the C to 42nd and change to the 1 train to 66th and Broadway, 1 block from Central Park west. The Stuyvesant Residence is a bit of a walk to 14th St. Union Square station where you can get the 1 train to 66th st. Those are doubles and triples. The New School doesn't always answer their summer housing ext. For questions, call the main housing number and ask for summer housing director.