Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Surgery tomorrow !

fauxmavenfauxmaven Posts: 1,581Registered User Senior Member
edited March 2012 in Parent Cafe
I am having surgery tomorrow ,with a full general sedation -intubated ,the works . I once woke up from a conscious sedation ,and was too weak to talk .I felt pain for awhile ,then fell back asleep . Everybody is calling to wish me luck ,and my in-laws treated me to a fancy dinner at a golf club . Why to I feel like I am going to be executed ,instead of having a well-known and fairly common procedure ?
Post edited by fauxmaven on

Replies to: Surgery tomorrow !

• chocoholicchocoholic Posts: 2,995Registered User Senior Member
    I too hate all the questions beforehand. Makes you more fearful than you need to be.
    Ha! It was the fancy dinner that made you feel like execution, didn't it? An interesting thing for them to choose to do............
    If it's routine, don't worry, everything will be fine. Hope you are able to fall asleep tonight.
  • MomLiveMomLive Posts: 2,370Registered User Senior Member
    Fauxmaven, you'll be fine. Before my hysterectomy in January, I went into the database I use daily at the hospital I work and looked back 3 years. There was not one death due to that procedure. That made me feel sooo much better. It's very normal to feel anxious before surgery. Hugs.
  • greenwitchgreenwitch Posts: 2,466Registered User Senior Member
    First thing tomorrow, talk to the anesthesiologist about your past experiences and your fears of becoming conscious during the procedure. Keep talking until you feel reassured.

Also keep reminding yourself that it's a fairly common procedure, and if I were you, I would have a glass of wine or two before that n.p.o. deadline hits.

It helped my daughter to hold onto something while she was put under. A friend had given her a small crystal (not too pointy). When she woke up, it was still there. Maybe they can give you something to hold, that you could squeeze if you needed to speak and could not.

I was once very, very nervous about having a spinal tap. They used to be legendary for the pain they caused but local anesthesia has advanced considerably. People kept reassuring me, to no avail. I got fussy and insisted on valium. It's very subtle, but it did help with my anxiety. The spinal tap didn't hurt at all.
  • 3Trees3Trees Posts: 137Registered User Junior Member
    I second the recommendation for a glass of wine tonight or whatever other adult pleasures will take your mind off tomorrow's events.

Anesthesia has really become much more nuanced and tolerable in the last few years. Be sure to let your anesthesiologist know whatever is worrying you and do request pre-medication to prevent GI upset after the procedure. Embrace whatever pain medications are offered post-surgically and say yes to everyone who offers to help out in the coming days and weeks. Keep your eye on the prize--within a couple of weeks you most likely will be telling friends and family that you are feeling so much better you wish you had had your surgery years ago.

And let us know how you do!
  • SplashMomSplashMom Posts: 1,913Registered User Senior Member
    Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,274Registered User Senior Member
    fauxmaven, I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. Good luck and post on here as soon as you're able.
  • ellemenopeellemenope Posts: 11,380Registered User Senior Member
    Good luck and get home as soon as you can! People never get enough rest in a hospital.
  • parentofpeopleparentofpeople Posts: 1,060Registered User Senior Member
    Good Luck Fauxmaven! We'll try to have some interesting threads going to keep you entertained while you recuperate ;-)
  • ellebudellebud Posts: 2,328Registered User Senior Member
    To a speedy recovery!
  • icedragonicedragon Posts: 2,170Registered User Senior Member
    I felt something similar before i got my gallbladder out. I had a special dinner, grandma got me a present (it was a stuffed animal, she said that you have to have something to cuddle that isn't moving about whilst recovering).

Honestly, the next morning i was more annoyed about the damn iv they put in my arm (which hurt a lot regardless of what the nurse said) than about the surgery itself. THough i remember after i woke up that it no longer hurt.

Good luck.
  • emilybeeemilybee Posts: 5,939Registered User Senior Member
    Wishing you well and a speedy recovery.
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Posts: 8,445Registered User Senior Member
    I once woke up from a conscious sedation ,and was too weak to talk .I felt pain for awhile ,then fell back asleep .

That definitely will not happen this time. You will be given a medicine in your IV prior to surgery which will make you feel a little loopy. By the time they get you on to the table to begin prepping you for surgery, you will be asleep, and you will NOT wake up until you are finished.

If happen to read this before your surgery, I wish you all the best. It will be fine, and you will be so glad you had the surgery. Take care, and don't hesitate to pamper yourself! Rest, recuperate, gather your strength, read, watch TV, write, do whatever it is that helps you to get well!
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Posts: 8,445Registered User Senior Member
    Honestly, the next morning i was more annoyed about the damn iv they put in my arm (which hurt a lot regardless of what the nurse said) than about the surgery itself.

I put in about 10-15 IV's a day when I work. I always tell them, "Okay, BIG STICK coming." I hate it when someone tells me it won't hurt when it really will.

I have had a few patients who, after I finally found a vein after digging around at bit -SO SORRY :( -have said, "wow, I didn't feel a thing!" I'm thinking "are you freaking kidding me?!" Others are shrieking when I get the IV right in with the smallest catheter we have.

It's the worst part of my job. Every time I have to start an IV, I'm dreading it as I am pumping up the bed to get it to the correct height. I hate hurting people. :(
  • icedragonicedragon Posts: 2,170Registered User Senior Member
    My viens are deeper than a normal persons. I've had people who have worked years doing this go to their head and have them do it on me. I've even had them whip out the ultrasound machine before. So yeah :<
  • teriwttteriwtt Posts: 9,467Super Moderator Senior Member
    Every time I have to start an IV, I'm dreading it as I am pumping up the bed to get it to the correct height. I hate hurting people.

Yes, IVs can hurt, but it usually becomes more of an annoyance afterwards than anything else.

I think taking them out can be quite painful... let me explain. They put so much flippin' tape on your hand/arm to keep the IV in place, that when they remove the IV, they have to first peel back all the tape. And if you have any hair on your arms... OUCH!

So I just had a little overnighter in the hospital Thursday, until Friday afternoon after a bad case of gastroenteritis and I needed almost four liters of IV fluids. By Friday I was feeling better and was ready to go home. I knew the doctor was at the nurse's station writing the discharge orders, and I decided to help 'speed things along'. I decided to start slowly working on all that tape, at my OWN speed, so that by the time the nurse got there, she could pull off the last little bit of tape and take the IV out. I took my time, pulling a little here, and a little there from each corner until I'd just about removed it all from my skin. Then I thought, "Oh, what the heck, I'll take the tape off the skin, but hold on to the IV line until she gets here." So the nurse walks in and I tell her, "I've already removed the tape so I could control the ouchy hair removal part." She laughed and said, you've already done most of my job then, but I don't have a dressing and tape to put over it, so I'll be right back. In the meantime, I had one of those 'I don't think I'm going to make it to the bathroom in time moments', so as I stood up from the side of the bed, forgetting that the tiniest bit of tape was holding the IV to my skin, the IV slipped out and so now I've got blood running down my arm, and I'm grabbing for tissues as I run to the bathroom.

Thankfully I made it to the bathroom, and was able to clean up the blood that had dripped down my arm. I grabbed some more tissues and held the pressure at the site until the nurse returned. By then (less than 2-3 minutes) it had stopped bleeding. So then she really kidded me and said, "Well, now you HAVE done my job for me." And all she had to do was put the dressing on and tape it down.

But yea, getting that tape off is sometimes more painful than putting the IV in. Geez, had I known I was going to get gastroenteritis and require IV fluids, I might have shaved my arm (assuming that I would have known where they were going to be able to get an IV in!) before I headed off to the ER.