Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Looking for a compact laser printer for home use

BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 15,589Registered User Senior Member
edited April 2012 in Parent Cafe
Dear CCers, does anyone have a favorite laser printer that fits these criteria: compact, not very expensive when it comes to cartridge replacement (yeah, wishful thinking! :)), possibly with scanning options, and NOT HP? Color is not a must, but would be nice to have. The main use will be printing B&W business documents and homework (for profs who still live in the past century).
Many thanks in advance!
Post edited by BunsenBurner on

Replies to: Looking for a compact laser printer for home use

• NJresNJres Posts: 5,250Registered User Senior Member
    I don't have a specific recommendation, but I understand that B&W laser printers are the way to go for economical printing. I boasted on another geek-filled forum that when my inkjet printer ran out of ink I went out and bought a new printer (for $40) which was cheaper than buying new ink. The geeks were all over me, telling me that for true economy the B&W laser was a better option. Apparently the cartridges last a long time.
  • gouf78gouf78 Posts: 2,787Registered User Senior Member
    We have a Brother Laser printer suggested to us years ago by a techie (we had HP and got fed up with the expense of ink!) Still going strong. the cartridges are expensive when replaced ($50-70) (but last a LONG time so cheaper in the long run) We buy cartridges off the internet. We don't print photos (actually cheaper to go through Sam's Club or another discount house since they eat up enormous amounts of ink). For simple printing, it's been great (knock on wood!).
    HP ink (and one reason it's expensive) is one of the best archival inks around--so if the purpose is photos and you want to keep them a long time, it may be best even though expensive.
    Careful though (this may have changed I don't know)--printing a B&W photo may actually be eating up your color cartridges to produce black rather than using the black ink to produce a picture.
  • cobratcobrat Posts: 6,879Registered User Senior Member
    ^ ^

Yeah....inkjet printer manufacturers deliberately sell their printers at extremely low prices or even gratis precisely because they're really making the lion's share of their money off the ink cartridges. At one startup I worked at...we were going through one cartridge per month which was $30 a pop. Most friends tend to replace theirs once every 2-3 months due to running out of ink or because the ink dried out.

Contrast that with my HP 4L laserjet printer which is not only still running reliably to this day...but I've only had to replace the cartridge once in nearly 20 years of usage. Granted...new HP cartridges go for around $70...but they will last at least a decade of medium to heavy use IME.

For B & W printing....it's much more economical in the long run to go with a laser printer over an inkjet.

Not to mention that laser printers tend to have much better build quality because they tend to target businesses.
  • 12rmh1812rmh18 Posts: 1,790Registered User Senior Member
    ^^Ditto gouf on the Brother laser printer. We bought a B/W for under $100 for S1 when he was in college. Footprint is small & the printer is wifi. Liked it so much that we bought one for ourselves. Ink cartridges run $60-70 (less if you purchase online) but last for 1-2 years. We don't print photos - it's less expensive to upload & have them printed at COSTCO or Snapfish/Kodak/Shutterfly.
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,924Registered User Senior Member
    Another vote for Brother. That's what my tech geek has as well. Ours is very compact and it's compatible with wireless, so we actually have it stashed away on another floor of the house since our desks are in the living room.

Ours doesn't have scanning capability, not sure what the options are. If none of the models have it and you need it, I would probably just get something like this: Amazon.com: Canon CanoScan LiDE110 Color Image Scanner (4507B002): Electronics The amount you'll save on ink with the brother will pay for the scanner. :)
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 15,589Registered User Senior Member
    Thank you all! Looks like Brother is the way to go. We have a very perfectly working older HP B&W laser printer, but HP did not bother to come up with a driver for Win 7, so we can only use the old, slow XP machine for printing. We are not exactly dummies when it comes to PC stuff, but we could not solve the driver problem. Grrr... No wonder I do not want to give HP more of my business.

Costco has a few nice Brother printers with pretty good reviews. I think I might get one and see how it works. Costco's return policy is superb, so if it does not work, off to Costco it will go. :)
  • sedluhssedluhs Posts: 166Registered User Junior Member
    We purchased a Brother HL-2270DW from Costco last fall. It has been great.

Costco has it online right now for $89.

Costco - Brother HL-2270DW Wireless Monochrome Laser Printer with Duplexing
  • notrichenoughnotrichenough Posts: 5,312Registered User Senior Member
    I boasted on another geek-filled forum that when my inkjet printer ran out of ink I went out and bought a new printer (for $40) which was cheaper than buying new ink.
    IME the cartridges that come with the printer typically have only half the ink of the replacement cartridges. So you might not actually be saving anything.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 15,589Registered User Senior Member
    sedluhs - thanks!!! Awesome deal. That printer costs 1/2 of the HP cartridge. :)
  • sedluhssedluhs Posts: 166Registered User Junior Member
    notrichenough: We got about 600 pages out of the cartridge that came with the $89 Brother laser printer ... pretty close to half of what the replacement cartridges claim. Going forward is where the costs really drop. Ink prices for my inkjet are about 5x the cost of laser toner.
  • engineer4lifeengineer4life Posts: 366Registered User Member
    I use a HP 4100 at home. It's fast, prints around 5000 pages for a $80 cartridge, and is very reliable. Mine cost about $250 used off of eBay.

I don't print that much anymore, sadly.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Posts: 6,420Registered User Senior Member
    I've been using a rather compact Konica Minolta Page Pro for about 6 years. Reasonably priced. Good output. Only drawback is that the toner ink cartridge is more expensive than the ink for similar HP models. Tried to use a third-party cartridge but kept getting error messages. Incidentally, some HP models also have a reputation for not working well with third party inks and toners.
  • sryrstresssryrstress Posts: 1,753Registered User Senior Member
    I would never ever use an inkjet for everyday business or personal printing. The ink costs are prohibitive, and keeping them on hand is a pain. For 25 years I've had HP laserjets for my small business which prints large quantities.

My H and S have small Lexmark laserjets that do a very good job. They aren't as sturdy as my HP, but "fold" up rather compactly, do a good job printing, and have a small footprint.

S had the same cartridge throughout 4 years of college. Be aware that they often come with "starter" cartridges which don't print as much as the regular ones. In addition to the ink savings, I highly prefer the quality of laser printing over that of inkjet.
  • GladGradDadGladGradDad Posts: 2,794Registered User Senior Member
    We also bought the Brother 2270 B&W wireless laser printer. It works fine.

The wireless networking aspect is great since (assuming you have a wireless network at home) you can locate the printer wherever you want, it doesn't have to be right next to the computer, and access it from any computer in the house.
  • Pepper03Pepper03 Posts: 1,298Registered User Senior Member
    I am also in the market for a printer but do need a color one.

I want an all in one with wireless. I have a 20 year old HP Laser Jet 4P still going strong for anything typed that I want to print in strict B&W.

I am replacing a Dell AIO that must drink ink-I have had little luck buying the replacement ink cartridges.

My research is pointing towards an Epson or Brother for the best price per printed page.

I won't be printing enough to justify the cost of a laser printer-at least I don't think so.

Thoughts?