Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to prevent dry socket after wisdom teeth removal?

questbestquestbest Posts: 489Registered User Member
edited April 2013 in Parent Cafe
My daughter had 4 wisdom teeth removed yesterday. We have heard so many different bits of advice that we are confused as to how to prevent dry socket.

Some people say they ate normally by day 3 and some people advise her to eat only soft stuff for a week until she is seen again by the oral surgeon.

From what we understand, if the healing blood clot gets dislodged by a piece of food, a toothbrush, puffing while smoking, or drinking through a straw, the clot comes out leaving the socket exposed and causing pain and hindering prompt healing.

Any and all advice/personal and or professional experiences welcome.
Post edited by questbest on

Replies to: How to prevent dry socket after wisdom teeth removal?

• clarinette52clarinette52 Posts: 709Registered User Member
    I was eating soft foods until the 4th day, but I got dry sockets and an infection. Eating soft foods longer would probably be a good thing.
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,924Registered User Senior Member
    I just had my wisdom teeth out a couple weeks ago. My surgeon told me that some people to everything right and still get dry socket, and some people do everything wrong and still end up okay. So I would follow the doctors advice to the letter and otherwise try not to sweat it too much... it's at least partly luck of the draw.

I ate normally pretty much from day one, but I didn't eat any rice, nuts, popcorn, etc until two or so weeks afterward when my incisions had fully closed up. I ate mcdonalds hash browns within hours of the surgery... but I was lucky and felt really good, and my surgeon said that I could go by how I felt in terms of what I ate (EXCEPT for foods that can get stuck!). I was eating totally normally within 5 or so days. Prior to that, I ate a lot of waffles, tater tots, hot dogs, etc... no crunchy food but not jello either.

I didn't drink through a straw until the surgeon specifically told me I could, however. I was meticulous with following instructions about when it was safe to brush, when it was safe to spit, when it was safe to use straws, etc... I would follow your surgeon's advice on those things, it seems everybody has a slightly different opinion.

The only complication I had was that one side healed so quickly that it closed over a piece of food in the first 24 hours when I wasn't allowed to brush my teeth. The surgeon had to pull it apart and irrigate it (no pain, took 2 seconds, no big deal), and I needed to spray it with a syringe to clean it while it rehealed to prevent it from happening again. It didn't cause an infection but would have had I not gone in.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 34,796Registered User Senior Member
    Female patients may want to pay attention to scheduling with respect to their monthly cycle:

Wisdom Tooth Extraction (Removal): Recovery, Pain, and More
    WebMD wrote:
    Women who decide to have their wisdom teeth removed should try to schedule the surgery for the end of their menstrual cycle (usually days 23 through 28). There seems to be less risk of dry socket during this time.
  • toledotoledo Posts: 4,087Registered User Senior Member
    An oral surgeon's nurse actually gave my son a juice box after surgery. Needless to say, we were back in his office 4 days later.
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,924Registered User Senior Member
    Too late to edit... but a thought if your D is in pain... if I could do it over again I would set an alarm for at least a few hours before I actually intend to wake up to start my pain meds for the day. I generally had a very comfortable recovery but woke up in agony on days 3 and 4 because obviously the pain meds didn't last all night. Doctor didn't suggest waking to take them but I would have... I kept rolling over onto my face during the night and waking up all swollen. I slept through most of it so wouldn't wake up every 4 hours or whatever, but would have done something in the early morning so I could actually cope when it was time to get out of bed!
  • merlinmerlin Posts: 272Registered User Junior Member
    Homeopathic ruta graveolens 12c dosage for dry socket.
  • marcdvlmarcdvl Posts: 1,315Registered User Senior Member
    My upper sockets got infected. Not a pleasant experience at all, not sure what/if I did anything wrong. I think I drunk a smoothie through a straw day one, but I really don't remember. I was on additional painkillers for close to a month from it.
  • KvillemomKvillemom Posts: 225Registered User Junior Member
    My D had 4 wisdom teeth pulled last August. No straws and pain meds/ice frequently. I set an alarm and kept her medicated and iced as much as possible. she had them pulled on a Wednesday and we had a flight to Florida on Friday. I wanted no complications whatsoever. The dentist said sucking on anything and rinsing too vigorously were the main culprits in dry socket.
  • MaterMiaMaterMia Posts: 1,056Registered User Senior Member
    It's important to use the syringe to clean out the socket ... that way the food comes out, especially true with bottom teeth. The post op instructions will include this - but this helps avoid the infection.
  • MommaJMommaJ Posts: 4,541Registered User Senior Member
    Homeopathic ruta graveolens 12c dosage for dry socket.
    Be sure to take with a gallon of gullibility and a peck of placebo effect!

Hope your D comes through with no complications.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 32,446Registered User Senior Member
    When you change your gauze - don't yank on it if it is resisting. Rinse your mouth with water first, then take it out, otherwise you might be pulling out a clot.

Agree with eating only soft food for at least a week or two, and progress slowly after that.

D had hers out spring break. I woke her up every 6 hrs to take her meds.
    Remind her to rinse with saline, but very gently.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 34,796Registered User Senior Member
    D had hers out spring break. I woke her up every 6 hrs to take her meds.

What meds would be needed every 6 hours? Wouldn't the only post-surgery meds be optional pain medication taken as needed, rather than on schedule (but not too often or too much)?
  • icedragonicedragon Posts: 2,170Registered User Senior Member
    i had all four at once. I kept up with the meds and iced/heat padded it.

This was not my first oral surgery so i kinda had an idea of what to do. I ate soft foods for a week and used a water pick (on softest setting) to rinse around the area. No complications what so ever.
  • my2sunzmy2sunz Posts: 577Registered User Member
    This posting comes at the perfect time, as DS is scheduled to have his out next week. Any other advice for the recuperation phase (what I should buy for him to eat, what to do or not to do, etc.)? I've never had mine out, so not sure about how this all works.
    Thanks!
    PS - Forgive me if I'm hijacking this thread! :)
  • icedragonicedragon Posts: 2,170Registered User Senior Member
    Yogert, mash potatos (room temp), icecream, pudding, apple sauce. Basically nothing hot, that for some reason messes with the stitches.

Have a heating pad, it works wonders.

Avoid straws, no sucking on things.

Keep it clean! use a surenge or somehting similar to gently rinse the area.