Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

When stuff you love gets discontinued

MommaJMommaJ Posts: 4,712Registered User Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Parent Cafe
Sometimes I think I must have very odd tastes, because an awful lot of consumer products I regularly use end up getting discontinued by the manufacturer, to the point where I think maybe I was the only person who bought them. I recently used up the last of my stockpile of Crest Whitening Expressions Vanilla Mint toothpaste gel (the kind that came in a compact tube that stood neatly upright). I had noticed it was disappearing from the shelves and ordered a bunch from drugstore dot com, but now it’s completely gone. I really dislike heavy mint flavoring in toothpaste, and this was a nice mild alternative. CVS used to have a house brand liquid shower soap that came in a very ingenious dispenser with a hanging hook and a no-drip squeeze opening—I especially liked the blue ocean-scented variety, as I’m not a fan of floral and fruity aromas in the bath. All gone. Horizon organic milk used to come in a non-ultra-pasteurized version. (I find ultra pasteurized milk to have a slightly cooked taste that I don’t care for). No more. Then there was the short-lived Quaker whole grain medleys instant cereals—the box with 8 packets was around for just a couple of years, and has been replaced with single serving containers that are both expensive and environmentally foolish. And don’t even get me started on beloved lipstick colors that disappear forever.

This sort of thing annoys me more the older I get—I guess I’ve just become a curmudgeon who can’t deal with change. Anyone else mourning a favorite product that has disappeared?
Post edited by MommaJ on

Replies to: When stuff you love gets discontinued

• parent1986parent1986 Posts: 1,616- Senior Member
    Look online. I recently discovered my perfume had been d/c and there are a million bottles for sale on Ebay, Amazon, and elsewhere.
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 Posts: 4,448Registered User Senior Member
    Parent1986, you have to be careful about ordering "old" perfume. Fragrances are made with organics and go bad after awhile even if they have not been opened. The scented lotions/cremes last longer.

I get frustrated that many fragrances I buy seem to be a one time thing that I can no longer get when I run out. (I was excited to see Elizabeth Arden reissuing "Sunflowers" for the summer.

OP, Bath and Body Works is one of the worst - I find something I like and then it's discontinued. Arggh...
  • MizzBeeMizzBee Posts: 4,339Registered User Senior Member
    Yes, Bad and Bodyworks just kills me. I stopped ordering from Avon as well just because I dodn't want to get attached then lose things again.
  • HImomHImom Posts: 19,060Registered User Senior Member
    Costco is also pretty challenging. I decide I like something and the next time(s) I go there, the item is no longer stocked! Sometimes we are able to find it at another branch but sometimes it is just no longer carried at ALL and no substitutes! It's so discouraging!

When I find clothing I like there in the right sizes, I buy it ASAP knowing it may well not last. With food items, I try not to get too attached, knowing their inventory constantly changes.
  • KvillemomKvillemom Posts: 274Registered User Junior Member
    Bath and Body Works is definitely frustrating. I loved their Foam Burst soaps and a couple of years ago they switched to only selling them in Dec and June, then discontinued them completely. I always loaded up during the Dec/June sales and the sales girls always told me, "Everybody asks for the Foam Burst soap". I shop at 3 different stores and was told the same thing at each store. Why would a store discontinue something that was apparently so popular?

I hate the thought of returning to regular soap when I run out.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,551Registered User Senior Member
    I used to really like Calvin klein perfume , it was from 1978.
    I also ( when I was in jr high ) liked Bonne Bells skin musk.
    Jovan also used to have a nice nail buffing cream.
    Love by Yardley had a whole line of natural looking eye makeup.
    You know how hard it is to find something that is dark blonde rather than black?
  • ellemenopeellemenope Posts: 11,380Registered User Senior Member
    I find just the right tennis racquet or tennis shoes and then the new models come out with tweaks that sometimes change the whole feel and fit for me. I suppose this is what my D calls "a first world problem..."
  • HImomHImom Posts: 19,060Registered User Senior Member
    Yea, that's tough when you start liking something that fits you perfectly and then they tweak it so it no longer is why you loved it. :( It gets so frustrating and makes shopping on line for clothing especially challenging, if you're not POSITIVE no tweaks have been made since your last purchase.
  • cnp55cnp55 Posts: 3,475Registered User Senior Member
    MommaJ -- someone else that loved the vanilla toothpaste! I also ordered a huge supply from drugstore.com and have just run out.

My hint for everyone ... rather than wandering from store to store looking for something specific, ask for help! In *my* store, we'll look it up and tell you if it is still available and then we'll actually order it for you and call you when it comes in.
  • DeskPotatoDeskPotato Posts: 1,329Registered User Senior Member
    I used to think Trader Joe's was systematically tracking my purchases and discontinuing anything I bought regularly.

My latest, non-Trader Joe, sadness is the cranapple Crystal Light. With no warning, so I couldn't stockpile.
  • HighlandMomHighlandMom Posts: 1,009Registered User Senior Member
    MamaJ, that happens here all the time. I feel your pain :(

DP here is some on Amazon - I don't know whether this is a good price or not

Crystal Light Natural Cranberry Apple Drink Mix (12-Quart) 2.3-Ounce Canisters (Pack of 4): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
  • TreetopleafTreetopleaf Posts: 2,706Registered User Senior Member
    Sing it, sisters! Why are standup toothpaste tubes so hard to find?

But I do not complain about Trader Joes, because while I may miss an old item, I always find something new to love.
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 37,336Registered User Senior Member
    Oh I have found my people! Have been convinced that they quit making stuff just because I (or someone in my household) like it. Its been things like Chesters Butter flavored popcorn, elastic kitchen bowl covers made by one particular company (but now made by others), and things no longer sold in my area: Dominos Brownulated sugar (though I think I can get that on line), familia Swiss Museli, and other things I can't think of at the moment.
  • ordinarylivesordinarylives Posts: 2,176Registered User Senior Member
    Diet drinks. I hate the taste of anything diet, usually. It's sweeter than sugar and has an aftertaste that makes me gag. But every once in a while I can find diet bottled tea that I like, but I swear as soon as I start drinking it, it is either discontinued or local store stop stocking it (and shipping liquids isn't a good option - expensive for one).

I have terrible hair. Every product I have ever loved as been discontinued or undergone a formula change.
  • northeastmomnortheastmom Posts: 12,379Registered User Senior Member
    Yup, my favorite K-cup choices have all disappeared. I have stopped using K-cups and I am just grinding and brewing my coffee in a smaller 5 cup coffee maker. DH and my kids still use K-cups (although they also enjoy the traditional drip brewed coffee).

I also have had some items that I enjoyed at TJs, but they also did not stick around. On the bright side, many items have stuck around for years.