Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Yikes! Crown fell out!

walkinghomewalkinghome Posts: 6,894Registered User Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Parent Cafe
I have a crown in a back molar that popped out. I'm putting a call into my dentist and imagine they will take me on Tuesday. What can I do to protect the area around it until I can get it fixed?
Post edited by walkinghome on

Replies to: Yikes! Crown fell out!

• emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 32,733Registered User Senior Member
    Beeswax that the drugstore sells to protect your mouth from braces?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 5,060Registered User Senior Member
    Do you still have the crown? You can stick it back in by using toothpaste. That happened to DH last year & the dentists office suggested that until he could get in.
  • WordWorldWordWorld Posts: 377Registered User Member
    That has happened to me and it is really shocking, isn't it? I never knew until mine popped off that crowns have a shelf life! Save the crown, they may be able to re-seal it and either fix it entirely or use it as a temporary until you get the new one.
    Don't chew on that side and follow what I would call the "braces" diet. No popcorn, chewy meat, caramels (duh), nuts, or anything that would cause damage to your exposed tooth if you forgot and chewed on that side. Soft foods like ice cream (if the area is not sensitive to cold), toast, soup, bananas, soft cheeses, pasta, egg salad... And be sure to carefully brush and floss the area to ensure that stuff doesn't get stuck there.
  • momsquadmomsquad Posts: 602Registered User Member
    My dentist advised to always pop the crown back on until you can get in to have it cemented. The teeth can move if something doesn't hold them apart. If you're careful with foods the loose crown will stay put.
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Posts: 6,894Registered User Senior Member
    This was just put in within the last six months, so it's not an old crown and it's on top so really can't imagine that it would just stay there with toothpaste. I am a real wuss when it comes to my teeth and I'm breaking out into a cold sweat thinking of trying to reposition this thing to even see which way to put it in.
  • arabrabarabrab Posts: 4,571Registered User Senior Member
    kathiep -- the local Walgreens sells temporary dental cement. Never heard of the toothpaste method, but it seems like it is worth a try. I've had several crowns come off (one while chewing on what turned out to be my very last-in-a-lifetime Jujy Fruit candy.)

It will only fit back on one way. Just try it and you'll see. -- And if that is still too scary, put it in a baggie, and just chew on the other side and avoid the danger foods mentioned. (And Jujy Fruit.)

A fellow wuss...
  • RobDRobD Posts: 5,060Registered User Senior Member
    Oh they're so easy to just pop back on. It really just slides/pops back into the right place as long as you've got the front in the front and the back to the back. Doesn't hurt at all.
    It's not the pain that bothers me, I just hate the feeling of it going on or coming off. Just creeps me out for some reason. Of course my favorite snacks are nuts and popcorn. Not a big fan of gummy candy stuff so no sacrifice there.
  • shellfellshellfell Posts: 1,457Registered User Senior Member
    Asked DH, a dentist, what he'd recommend.

If it's not sensitive, leave it alone & don't try to put the crown back in.

If it's sensitive, try to put the crown back on without any "adhesive".

If that doesn't hold, then use denture adhesive to hold the crown in place. Whatever you do, he said not to use the dental cement sold in drugstores. If you don"t get the crown in exactly right using the cement, it'll be uncomfortably high until you can see the dentist.

Of course, try not to chew on that side whichever remedy you use.
    My dentist just called back. He said to use fix-o-dent and that he would try to see me first thing Monday morning. It's not painful, I'm just very concerned that if I accidentally chew on that side that I will break off any remaining tooth that's there, but I'm worried about the same thing with clumsy me pushing the crown back in too! Thanks shellfell, now I have another concern about having it too high... ugh.
  • dentmom4dentmom4 Posts: 589Registered User Member
    Another dentist here: if it doesn't bother you, leave it off. It will be very hard for you to break the remaining tooth if you accidentally chew on it. Just stick to soft foods.

If you get the fixodent, only use a very small amount, pea size or less. Try the crown on first so you know which way it goes before you put in the denture adhesive. The crown will only go in one way. You still have to be careful with chewing on it because it can come off.

I usually recommend pts only try to put it back on if there is major discomfort with it off or it is in the front, a cosmetic issue.
  • shellfellshellfell Posts: 1,457Registered User Senior Member
    You don't have to worry about it being too high if you only use a small amount of denture adhesive. The problem is with the dental cements sold in drugstores; they hold more strongly than denture adhesive so if the crown is uncomfortably high you could be stuck that way until you see your dentist.

DH agrees with dentmom to only put it back on if it's sensitive.
  • AllThisIsNewToMeAllThisIsNewToMe Posts: 2,014Registered User Senior Member
    kathiep, I feel for you. I just had my first crown put on about 6 months ago and it was AWFUL. When they were moving it around I wanted to crawl out of my skin. Hang in there - not too much longer until Monday morning now!!!
    I really appreciate everyone's comments and support. I did buy the fix o dent but after reading the above comments, I may just go without. It's a back tooth so I don't think it's at all noticeable and it's not sensitive. It was actually an old crown that was replaced and was checked for a cavity before it was put on. Allthisisnewtome - I have to wait until TUESDAY! Of course this would happen on a holiday weekend!
  • psychmompsychmom Posts: 1,730Registered User Senior Member
    These things ONLY happen on holiday weekends.

When I got my (first) crown, I was called a "crown virgin" by the dentist and staff. Guess it must be dental humor :rolleyes:

I remember knocking out the temporary by flossing and it felt like all kinds of creepy. (Yes, my dentist warned me not to floss but I forgot.)