Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

cruise from Florida?

bethievtbethievt Posts: 6,753Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Parent Cafe
We are considering a family reunion this winter in the Florida area. Could be at a resort, but I'm also wondering about a cruise because one family member has a difficult illness (chronic fatigue) and I'm thinking she could get on board and relax while her (grown up) kids and other family do whatever they want. I will consult a travel agent, but would appreciate any suggestions from the wise ones here.
Post edited by bethievt on

Replies to: cruise from Florida?

• sylvan8798sylvan8798 Posts: 4,474Registered User Senior Member
    We've been on two Disney cruises out of Florida. The ships were beautiful, the kids had a great time, and the service was great.
  • bookwormbookworm Posts: 5,035Registered User Senior Member
    I have only done the Disney cruise, when my son was young. Lots of friends do Carnival western Caribbean week cruises, their kids college age.

There are also great hotels in South Beach, the Breakers in West Palm, and the Boca Hotel. A lot depends on age of family members and the kind of environment you want.
  • rushedmomrushedmom Posts: 625Registered User Member
    We've done several Royal Carribean Cruises out of Florida. I always see large family reunions on board, you might want to call about pricing etc.
  • Mom2MMom2M Posts: 2,009Registered User Senior Member
    I like Royal Carribean. You might check out cruisecritic.com. It's the cruise version of CC. Lots of helpful folks with great information.
  • Iron MaidenIron Maiden Posts: 1,838Registered User Senior Member
    Royal Carribean or Celebrity. Would strongly advise against Carnival for this type of gathering.

And I second cruisecritic.com
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 37,763Registered User Senior Member
    I agree that cruise critic (the "other cc") forum is very helpful. We had a blast on Royal Caribean out of Canaveral. Where will you be leaving from?
  • bethievtbethievt Posts: 6,753Registered User Senior Member
    jym-southern FL would be the best place for us to leave from.
    The kids are all college age. We are mostly concerned about our family member who has limited energy and so I was thinking a cruise might be good because she could check out when she needs to, and feel that her kids are going to be having fun and have food.
  • jshainjshain Posts: 4,090Registered User Senior Member
    Also a Cruise Critic member/reader....

I recently cruised to the Eastern Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale on Holland America. FtL has a very nice cruise terminal. I've cruised 4 times in the past 18 months, with 4 different cruise companys (although admitedly Carnival owns 3 of the 4). My kids, ages 21 and 18, LOVE Carnival. I am also a fan. We missed not having the adult comedy shows on our last Holland America cruise.

Cruising is a great option for someone that is disabled or physically impaired and if your college-aged kids are anything like mine, they will have a blast.
  • martharapmartharap Posts: 471Registered User Member
    Check out "end-of-the-world-cruise dot com" that is run by a prof in CU Boulder Astronomy Dept and director of the Fiske Planetarium to coincide with the Mayan prediction that the world will end on the solstice in December.

It leaves Miami on 12/16 and returns on 12/23 and is on the Norwegian Jewel. There will be astronomers and sci-fi writers giving lectures on board.
  • chocchipcookiechocchipcookie Posts: 2,035Registered User Senior Member
    Jshain:

Glad to hear you like Carnival. We love cruising. I went on my first cruise in 2005 and have gone on one every year since. Never on Carnival, but will be going on Carnival for the first time in @3 weeks. Holland America, Norweigan & Royal Carribbean so far.

OP: Try booking a cruise with Crown Cruise vacations out of NJ

Cruising has been wonderful for us and we've gone with all ages from very young to older with special needs (motor scooter on board) It really has become a fun way for us to see many islands we probably would not see otherwise. Also its taken us to Hawaii and Alaska too.

We enjoy cruising definitely over sitting at a resort. You can relax on board the ship and get some sun time and then when the boat is in port, go exploring, sightseeing & shopping.
  • emilybeeemilybee Posts: 6,787Registered User Senior Member
    Lots of cruise ships leave from both Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.
  • ChedvaChedva Posts: 20,097Super Moderator Senior Member
    I just got off a Norwegian cruise - many family reunions on board.

I would suggest cruising the Caribbean out of FL or San Juan. Not out of NJ or NY - you want to cruise most of the time in the Caribbean, not the Atlantic. The seas can be very rough in the Atlantic, which makes things difficult for someone with mobility problems. The Caribbean is much smoother.

Also, ifyou do decide to cruise, make sure that your family member gets travel insurance which covers "pre-existing conditions." Most cruises require non-refundable payment in full within 90-70 days of sailing. In the event that she has to cancel due to her disability, she'll get all her money back. If you also get travel insurance, you might then also be able to cancel if your family member cancels and you don't want to go without her or if her condition is such that you want to stay with her. Of course, read any travel insurance contract carefully.
  • AllThisIsNewToMeAllThisIsNewToMe Posts: 2,061Registered User Senior Member
    I haven't cruised out of Florida since my honeymoon, but I totally agree that for a varied group like yours a cruise is a perfect choice. Everyone can go their own ways during the day and meet for evening meals/shows. Enjoy!

Also, another +1 for cruise critic. So informative!
    Thank you all so much! I'm certainly leaning towards a cruise leaving from south Florida. We will give our other family members some choices, but cruises can be so flexible.