Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Vacation Location for 17-year-old S, H and me

SchokoladeSchokolade Posts: 1,111Registered User Member
edited June 2012 in Parent Cafe
I have less than a week to find a vacation location for my husband, our 17-year-old son and me for mid-July. According to my son, hiking and walking tours are boring, but waterfalls are okay. That's the extent of my guidance from him. He is happy staying home, but my H and I would like a vacation, and we'd like him to join us!

I've read the San Francisco ideas on another thread and will explore the possibility.

Stipulations:

Not too hot. My H wants someplace cooler than here (NC).
Not New England (lived there).
Not Pacific Northwest, Montreal or Quebec (recent vacations there).
Not a beach vacation.
U.S. or Canada.
Pretend that money is no object for this purpose. It is, but I'm seeking ideas.
All three of us are competitive athletes, in good health.

Where would you take a 17-year-old on vacation with these stipulations?

Thanks in advance for your ideas! I am stumped (in part due to lack of feedback on the part of my son)!
Post edited by Schokolade on

Replies to: Vacation Location for 17-year-old S, H and me

• siliconvalleymomsiliconvalleymom Posts: 3,649Registered User Senior Member
    Our family with teens is crazy about Kiawah Island, South Carolina. I know it's a beach vacation for most people, but that's not what we do there...we kayak, golf, run, bike on the miles of oceanfront, barbecue and play games.
    There is a wide range of rentals, from luxury at the Sanctuary to affordable condos. Plus, you could just drive there from North Carolina and not have to add the cost of flights to the budget.
  • dragonmomdragonmom Posts: 4,151Registered User Senior Member
    Colorado resorts are wonderful in the summer. Biking, rafting, golfing, climbing, ballooning, arts, music, whatever...
    I'd add to this that most of the same attractions are also available in Utah if you can't find what you want at the first site.
  • BromfieldBromfield Posts: 1,936Registered User Member
    I'd go to Yosemite National Park. Went there this spring and did lots of hiking. It was amazingly beautiful. Stay at the Ahwahnee Lodge if you're not concerned about budget lodging. You could fly to San Francisco, spent a few days there and then head out to Yosemite.
  • gosmomgosmom Posts: 982Registered User Member
    San Francisco.
  • BobWallaceBobWallace Posts: 1,696Registered User Senior Member
    Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Zion & Bryce Canyons, Alaska, Michigan Upper Peninsula, Chicago, Mammoth Cave, Glacier Nat'l Park ...
  • BromfieldBromfield Posts: 1,936Registered User Member
    Meant to add lots of waterfalls at Yosemite.
  • wis75wis75 Posts: 8,557Registered User Senior Member
    Niagara Falls is worth seeing- you need to include the Canadian side. You could include many up north places in NY state, include Canadian places for a change from your SE location. Many places to be seen along the way if you have the time to travel by car. You could possibly even let your son do some of the driving. Our son was not the only teen sitting in the car during our side trip from the "Bay area" to see the redwoods at the national park nearby. If you do go to SF consider staying in Berkeley, visiting UC-Berkely there and having great views of the city while using easy public (BART) transportation. Unless your son wants to go to school in CA he is unlikely to see this campus and can add it to his knowledge of different schools (we also saw Stanford- found the campus boring ).
  • xaniamomxaniamom Posts: 336Registered User Member
    Considering that it's already June, I would consider Virginia. There's Virginia Beach, colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Luray Caverns, the Skyline drive (with hiking/camping/etc.). Mountains, beach, caves, roller coasters, and history. What more could you ask? And you don't have to fly there, as I think it wouldn't be a bad drive from SC.

ETA: H and kids thought I was nuts when I said we just had to stop at Luray caverns on a road trip north through Virginia a few years ago ("yeah, mom, ok"). Then they all loved it and couldn't say enough about how cool it was.
  • shoboemomshoboemom Posts: 1,261Registered User Senior Member
    Niagara Falls and then on to Montreal, Alaska cruise, Nashville, Boston...
  • HImomHImom Posts: 17,698Registered User Senior Member
    There is an active Alaska cruise option, that uses smaller boats & the people go on kayaks and a lot more strenuous activity than your typical huge cruise ship. My friend is taking her athletic young adult kids & DIL on this. It sounded like a blast, as they are all hikers & kayakers.
  • busdriver11busdriver11 Posts: 7,278Registered User Senior Member
    Have always had that struggle. We've told the kids they can go anywhere in the world they want...every year (we get free airline tickets, always get cheap deals on hotels), they don't care. Would rather stay home than go on ANOTHER vacation. A question is, not what will he tolerate, but what does he like? What is he interested in?

One of my sons just loves drama. We took him to NYC, went to musicals, took tours. He really enjoyed it, as it was his thing. Other son would not have cared for it much.

I would have advised Maui (amazing waterfalls, body surfing, fantastic snorkling, plenty of water sports), or Atlantis resort (love that water park), snorkling...but you said no beach vacation. Hmmm....

So I second Colorado resort (whitewater rafting, biking, general outdoors stuff) or definitely Alaska cruise. If he's still 17, he can partake of teen activites, and of course the worst thing about vacation is being stuck with the parents all the time! HImom is usually right.
  • momsquadmomsquad Posts: 591Registered User Member
    1) San Francisco/ Yosemite. Doubt you'll get a room at the ahwannee, you might check Tenaya lodge at southern edge of park

2) Hawaii big island. Does snorkeling count as beach vacation ? Nothing in the world quite compares to swimming with sea turtles and spinner dolphins.
  • scout59scout59 Posts: 1,861Registered User Senior Member
    I would second those suggestions for Yosemite, Yellowstone, and Alaska. Loved, loved, loved Alaska - we did this fly-in to Brooks Lodge to see the grizzlies, and it's something we all still talk about. (It may be too late to arrange that now, but if you could, I swear it's a great memory. The flight alone is pretty unforgettable.)

Also, the UP of Michigan or the areas around Sleeping Bear Dunes (Michigan) are pretty great this time of year.
  • PackMomPackMom Posts: 7,388Registered User Senior Member
    Skokalode, we're in NC too. My young adult S spent a month training for his job in San Diego. He thought San Diego was really cool. My brother and his wife also just returned from a trip to S.D and had nothing but great things to say about it.

Does your S enjoy history? We are headed to Gettysburg next week with a stopover at Harper's Ferry (WV).. history, Appalachian Trail,biking. We've made reservations at an outdoor adventure center to do a zipline tour with rope bridge challenges etc. between the zip lines. At the adventure center, there's also tubing,whitewater tubing and white water rafting plus the dreaded hiking! After that, we've rented a cottage on Maryland's Eastern Shore for a few relaxing days of crabbing,fishing,swimming,canoeing.
  • nj2011momnj2011mom Posts: 2,643Registered User Senior Member
    Do agree with the San Fran, Yosemite or Yellowstone ideas.

You don't say if you like or want to try scuba...if so, I would recommend Bonaire in the Caribbean. It's 80 all year round and really not very hot in the summer. You can get your certification in under a week (no classroom in the US).

Our favorite resort is BelMar, they have a full kitchen, so you can prepare your own meals. We often have breakfast & lunch in & dinner out.

Belmar Oceanfront Apartments Bonaire - First Class Accommodations

Delta flies non-stop out of Atlanta. (also United from Houston & Newark).