Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

The Best Shampoos Without Sodium Lauryl Sulfate?

artloversplusartloversplus Posts: 5,829Registered User Senior Member
edited August 2012 in Parent Cafe
When my DW forwarded me the following article, a thought went through my mind:

Is this another trick to sell expensive shampoo?

My DW subsequently bought some without SLS made by J&J. I looked up the label and there are many different kinds of chemicals in it sense SLS of course. I am wondering in another day another test, those components will turned out Carcinogenicity.

"Mar 7, 2011 | By Joshua Duvauchelle
Many consumers are worried about the use of sodium lauryl sulfate in their shampoo, reports haircare expert Paula Begoun. She says this is due to potential risks associated with the sulfate, like a concern regarding potentially higher risks of cancer. Several shampoo products offer powerful cleansing and nourishing effects for your hair without depending on such sulfates.
Aveda Smooth Infusion Shampoo

After "Real Simple" magazine's editors tested 195 different shampoo products, the magazine chose Aveda's shampoo as the best natural product. This moisture-infused, sodium lauryl sulfate-free shampoo is designed to help reduce frizz and stop flyaways while also coating your hair to protect it from heat damage. Its conditioning power comes from all-natural, organic ingredients like aloe vera and guar bean extract. The shampoo earns points not just for its natural ingredients, but also its environmentally sustainable bottle made of recycled plastic.
David Babaii for Wildaid Amplifying Shampoo

David Babaii's volume-boosting shampoo is made without any type of sulfates, parabens or petroleum. The editors of "InStyle" magazine named it one of the best green haircare lines on the market. As it lifts away oil and dirt to enhance your hair's shine, the shampoo also conditions and soothes with natural ingredients like coconut oil and white ginger flower extract.
Avalon Organics Revitalizing Peppermint Shampoo

"Elle" magazine picked Avalon's organic shampoo as one of the top-performing sodium lauryl sulfate-free shampoos, saying it helps to clarify your hair for less buildup of shine-reducing product residue. It's free of sulfates and parabens, contains no fragrances or dyes and isn't tested on animals. Plant-based detergents clean your hair and scalp with oil-reducing ingredients like peppermint oil. Meanwhile, natural hair-nourishing conditioners like vitamin E and babassu oil help to repair your hair shafts for a naturally glossier look.
L’Oréal Ever Pure Hydrate Shampoo

Sulfate-free shampoos aren't only found in salons or from specialty organic brands. For mainstream SLS-free washing, "InStyle" magazine recommends trying L'Oreal's shampoo. The magazine says it can help to gently clean your hair without stripping natural oils and color from your hair like traditional shampoos do. Its conditioning ingredients infuse your hair with moisture and help combat problems associated with color-treated hair, like dry and brittle ends.
"
Post edited by artloversplus on

Replies to: The Best Shampoos Without Sodium Lauryl Sulfate?

• BookladyBooklady Posts: 3,122Registered User Senior Member
    I think you'll find that any products suggested by those sorts of magazines are the same products that are advertised in those magazines.
  • blueiguanablueiguana Posts: 7,496Registered User Senior Member
    Aveda's Smooth Infusion is nice. I agree with booklady, that the article probably coincides with advertisers for that publication. Another one I like is Pureology Perfect 4 Platinum. Both do a good job at reducing summer frizz from humidity.
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Posts: 17,271Registered User Senior Member
    I love Aveda shampoo and use one of their formulas as well as a few others. Somehow, I'm not too concerned about getting cancer from my shampoo!
  • Mom2MMom2M Posts: 2,009Registered User Senior Member
    I bought D the Burt's Bees shampoo, I wanted her to try a shampoo without sulfates...I had noticed the acne was worse where her hair touched her face. She used it for a while her face cleared up, then she switched back to a shampoo with sulfates...and her face broke out horribly.

She likes Aveeno better than Burt's Bees. Garnier Fructis makes one as well, she doesn't like it as much.
  • blueiguanablueiguana Posts: 7,496Registered User Senior Member
    MOWC - I'll admit to using them for the smoothing/non frizz aspect, not the cancer reducing risk.
  • ConsolationConsolation Posts: 15,249Registered User Senior Member
    I'm another Aveda user. I use a combination of their products, including Color Protect (even when not coloring, just because it is moisturizing) and Smooth Infusion conditioner.
  • RacinReaverRacinReaver Posts: 6,598Registered User Senior Member
    snopes.com: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Shampoo

I have heard that sodium lauryl sulface is supposed to be bad for those with some kinds of acne, but it looks like the cancer thing is a myth perpetuated to boost sales.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,789Registered User Senior Member
    H & I use bar shampoo

Much of the time I don't even need a conditioner and I have dryish hair and skin.

As a former hairstylist I want to point out you can absorb a lot of chemicals through your scalp. Lots of blood vessels up there and a hot shower increases absorption, so it makes sense to get something you aren't going to have a reaction to. Also why some people rotate their products especially if they contain silicones.
    Silicone in Shampoo Damages Hair - Silicone Free Hair Products - Marie Claire

Haven't seen anything to indicate sodium laurel sulfate is bad however.
  • geezermomgeezermom Posts: 1,354Registered User Senior Member
    I use the L'Oreal SLS-free products, which I like. It isn't all marketing make-believe (though I don't know about cancer). Switching to SLS-free products resolved itchy scalp and burning mouth for me. I don't know if there's a medical basis, but I don't care because it works! Both problems started all of a sudden, a couple of years ago.
  • trojanchick99trojanchick99 Posts: 570Registered User Member
    I know that my hair feels healthier without the SLS as it's harsh on the hair. The caveat is that you need to make sure you are using product free of silicones as they are difficult to remove without SLS.

As a matter of fact, I don't use shampoo much at all as it really dries out my curly hair. I use conditioner only.
  • shellfellshellfell Posts: 1,590Registered User Senior Member
    I've used the L'Oreal SLS-free products to reduce frizz, but I'd like to try another one to see how they differ. Thanks to suggestions here, I'll try the Aveda next to see if ingredents/$ make an appreciable difference.
  • KajonKajon Posts: 3,598Registered User Senior Member
    S2 gets multiple canker sores on back of throat from toothpaste with SLS. Based on google searches he is not alone. So I wouldn't doubt there are topical reactions from shampoo, lotions and soaps.
  • gouf78gouf78 Posts: 3,081Registered User Senior Member
    reactions are far and very few between==SLS has been used for umpteen years as an emulsifier (helps mix oil and water) which is akin to soap. I think its a great advertising ploy.
  • zeebamomzeebamom Posts: 432Registered User Member
    Suave Naturals is cheap and silicone-free. I use the conditioner in lieu of shampoo the majority of the time. My color lasts longer w/o fading and frizz is practically non-existent.
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 1,260Registered User Senior Member
    Trader Joe's shampoos are SLS free and inexpensive. I esp. like their Refresh (I like the citrus smell) body wash and also use it as a shampoo.