Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Anyone else have NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION on their driver's license?

NewHope33NewHope33 Posts: 6,208Registered User Senior Member
edited September 2012 in Parent Cafe
Renewed my Driver's License today. When the DMV clerk handed me the new one he said "You do realize you can't use this at airport security or to enter Federal Buildings."

Can't use a government-issued photo ID? Really? I don't mind being Persona Non Grata ... but I do think I should have done something inappropriate to acquire that status. Does anyone else have this identification disclaimer on their license? What if anything, did you do to get that designation?
Post edited by NewHope33 on

Replies to: Anyone else have NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION on their driver's license?

• AllThisIsNewToMeAllThisIsNewToMe Posts: 2,046Registered User Senior Member
    How bizarre. Just think of the upcoming chaos at the airports in CT.
  • ellemenopeellemenope Posts: 11,380Registered User Senior Member
    Sounds like you can get a "verified" ID by showing up with your passport or birth certificate or some other document. Did you get the chance to apply for a verified ID and chose not to?
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,551Registered User Senior Member
  • GA2012MOMGA2012MOM Posts: 5,129Registered User Senior Member
    Georgia has a list for ALL renewals, effective July 1st of this year. The news was reporting that the DMV's were all in chaos and wait times of 6-8 hours not unusual.

Identification Requirements
  • churchmusicmomchurchmusicmom Posts: 3,866Registered User Senior Member
    I am in GA as well, and yes there were reports of crazy-long waits to renew licenses over the summer when this was first instituted. But my adult children have recently renewed theirs, and really had no issues. You just have to be informed and come prepared with the correct documentation...
  • musicmommusicmom Posts: 2,352Registered User Senior Member
    Mmmm, just renewed here in NJ (looooong lines for everything in life).
    Suplied my '6 points' including passport and the resultant license does not have anything on it about not being able to use for federal ID.
  • shellfellshellfell Posts: 1,569Registered User Senior Member
    I don't think the inability to use that driver's license for ID purposes happens until 2017, and only if the federal govt decides to enforce it.
  • NewHope33NewHope33 Posts: 6,208Registered User Senior Member
    As ucbalumnus points out, there is in CT an OPTIONAL program to "verify" ... and a gold star is added to the CT license to acknowledge this optional status. I've have understood "Gold star for Verified ... No gold star if not verified." What I didn't understand was "Gold star for Verified ... NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION for not verified."

I'm going to get a Passport Card as an interim solution. Even though the Verified Program won't go into effect until 2017, my concern is that some under-trained TSA agent will reject my license. "Yes Sir, it is a government-issued photo ID. But it says right on it NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION."

PS, I did provide a Passport-Verified government-issued photo ID, but the DMV would not accept it in place of the actual passport.
  • sryrstresssryrstress Posts: 1,775Registered User Senior Member
    DMV=8th circle of hell. My state also has the licenses good for federal ID or not. We can't even buy license plates there anymore. You just know it's going to take a minimum of 3 trips to accomplish anything. A true example of gov't inefficiency at its best...
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 23,001Registered User Senior Member
    I always hear horror stories about the DMV, but I've never experienced them. Michigan doesn't have DMVs, we use the SOS. Some long lines, though not intolerable and they've always seemed to be more than competent.

I already thought IDs didn't work at airports. I always use my passport. Hmm...

I didn't get any kinds of warnings when I got my new one in January.
  • vlinesvlines Posts: 3,579Registered User Senior Member
    A small warning about the following information provided on the CT DMV site:
    If someone declines, a valid U.S. passport can serve the same purpose as the verified license or ID card at federal screening checkpoints.

I have found that this is not true to get on to millitary bases. You have to have your drivers license.

Someone told me that you have to have your drivers license if you are driving a car on the millitary base, and another told me that you had to have it just to enter. I lost my license the morning I had to pick up my son a camp at USNA. I did think to pick up my passport going out the door. They did agree to let me enter the one time to pick up my kid without a license- with a passport only, but told me they would not let me do it again.

So, I am not 100% about the enter with DL/VS passport, but thought I would pass on my experience.
  • tango14tango14 Posts: 1,578Registered User Senior Member
    With all the new voter ID laws, does this also mean that a DL stamped Not for federal identification would not be valid ID for voting? Or are we referring to different states?

I've never had a problem with my DL but do not carry my passport with me unless I'm traveling overseas. Our state allows your DL to be renewed by mail in certain cases and they send you a sticker to put on the back. I wonder if that will change. I renewed my DL last winter 8 years after it was first issued (4 regular + 4 with sticker). It was amazing the number of times TSA did not check the sticker which also means that they did not check the expiration date on the front.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 37,539Registered User Senior Member
    vlines wrote:
    Someone told me that you have to have your drivers license if you are driving a car on the millitary base, and another told me that you had to have it just to enter. I lost my license the morning I had to pick up my son a camp at USNA. I did think to pick up my passport going out the door. They did agree to let me enter the one time to pick up my kid without a license- with a passport only, but told me they would not let me do it again.

If you were driving, it is understandable that they would want to see a driver's license. Perhaps if you were walking in, they may have been more willing to accept some other identification like a passport (did your kid have a driver's license?).

Remember that a driver's license has been overloaded with two functions: 1. indication that the issuing state believes that you are competent to drive, and 2. identification, at least as far as the issuing state is concerned. In many cases, some other form of identification is accepted when identification is the only function needed, but when you are driving, a driver's license is what is needed.
  • stradmomstradmom Posts: 3,660Registered User Senior Member
    This is not a positive trend.