Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

The Amazing Race - Season 21 ***SPOILER ALERT***

SplashMomSplashMom Posts: 1,905Registered User Senior Member
edited December 2012 in Parent Cafe
Is anyone watching? Am I the only one who thinks it was a ***tty thing for the couple that came in first (don't remember their names) to do to the couple that came in second, especially considering they'd given them the location of the lady with the abacus? It just goes to show you can't share information with your fellow competitors without having it bite you in the butt.
Post edited by SplashMom on

Replies to: The Amazing Race - Season 21 ***SPOILER ALERT***

• walkinghomewalkinghome Posts: 6,832Registered User Senior Member
    I would think there would be some remorse but in the heat of the moment they were just thinking of winning and not how they got there because of the last clue. That was a shame though.

Here's the cast so we can keep them straight - CBS Reveals 'The Amazing Race' Season 21 Cast, New Twist (Video) - Hollywood Reporter

I do not like those twins from NJ. They are annoying.
  • alwaysamomalwaysamom Posts: 8,979Registered User Senior Member
    I felt badly for that team who had helped the others. I think it must be a difficult balance to achieve when running the race whether or not you're going to offer help in that situation. The chances of any team coming first in the first and last legs are slim,though, so they can take some solace in that.

I thought it was a pretty good first leg. It's always difficult to show too much when there are so many teams but I think we got a sense of all of the teams. Abba and James really blew it, though. They were first to the restaurant and first to arrive at the location where the abacus lady was. They walked right by her, twice! Are there really so many people who don't know what an abacus is or how to pronounce it? Yikes.

Back to the stadium for a minute. I honestly think that that was entirely staged. There's no way even a junior champion would have mi**** so many shots. Every game ended that way. Not one TAR player actually made a winning shot. I would bet that the task was taking way too long and they started it over, with adjustments in time of arrivals, and told the young girl to end the games quickly.

The food task was gross looking but it didn't seem like it was all that difficult. Especially compared to some of the food tasks in previous seasons.
  • crizellocrizello Posts: 1,292Registered User Senior Member
    The new season looks pretty good so far!

Looks like people are going to learn pretty quickly the dangers of helping other teams.

It was pretty pathetic that most of the teams couldn't pronounce abacus, or even know what it was!
  • abasketabasket Posts: 7,958Registered User Senior Member
    Wow, I loved the first show! Lots of interesting couples!

So glad the Chippendales made it at the end. They seem to have a good sense of humor and after giving some of their back story, seem like good guys. That older couple that left - he seemed to have the potential to be a JERK - he's doing all the wedding planning and something he said at the end towards here - really had jerk potential!

Love the couple where she has the artificial legs - he seems like a sweetie. The gay guys are funny too. Can't stand the monster truck guy - ugh! The Sri Lanka girls seemed fun at first - well they may be fun, but they are INTENSE!!!!!

Question - why was the monster truck guy just allowed to repeat the "eating" when he violated the rules instead of getting the penalty at the end???? Seems that repeating (though gross) was probably a much shorter time investment than what would be required at the finish line????
    why was the monster truck guy just allowed to repeat the "eating" when he violated the rules instead of getting the penalty at the end????

On tasks where they don't give out the next clue if it hasn't been completed properly, the racers have the opportunity to figure out what they've done wrong and then make it right. They reread the clue and realized the mistake. If they had received the next clue and left the restaurant, they would have received a penalty when they reached the mat. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to when the next clue is given and when it isn't. Not that I've been able to determine anyway.
  • shellfellshellfell Posts: 1,324Registered User Senior Member
    I missed some of the middle of the episode when S1 called. What did they have to eat? It looked disgusting. Did both teammates have to eat it or only one of them?

For those of us with secret aspirations to be on the show, it's disappointing that there are no parent/child teams and only one married couple. And what seemed to be one of the older teams was the first to be eliminated (altho that guy was a jerk).
    shellfell, the food task was eating frog fallopian tubes. The teammate that had not done the table tennis roadblock had to do the task at the restaurant.
    They ate frog fallopian tubes. Only one of them had to eat that "dessert". Blech.
  • shellfellshellfell Posts: 1,324Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks for the update. I've eaten frog's legs, but I wouldn't want to eat their fallopian tubes.
  • GladGradDadGladGradDad Posts: 2,794Registered User Senior Member
    I honestly think that that was entirely staged. There's no way even a junior champion would have mi**** so many shots.
    I don't know - they already prepared for the fact that the junior champ would likely whoop them all for too long with a regular paddle hence the playing with various paddle substitutes. In one case it was playing with the actual clue which is just a wimpy piece of cardboard. He also played with the paper side of the clipboard. I can believe it was on the up and up.

On the first/second place - it was dumb of the one team that was in first place at that point to tell the next competitors where the abacus lady was. I don't blame the team that passed them up and ended up coming in first since that's the whole point of the game. They didn't do anything wrong and it would have been stupid of them to just stand back and let the other team come in first. The other team needs to realize it's a game with winners and losers and if you don't let the other teams face the same challenges by giving away where they should go on things like this then you'll be the one losing. They learned a hard lesson.

I don't have a favorite team yet find any terribly annoying at this point although the one twin was pretty annoying to her sister. On the tall/short team the tall guy seemed pretty slow running along the bridge at the opening and seemed to hesitate a lot before jumping off if I have the right guy in mind. Given that, I'm not sure they'll last long.
    I can believe it was on the up and up.

I can't. A junior champion would be capable of beating any adult, handily. I've seen junior champs here in Toronto play and my guess is that a Chinese junior champ would be even more adept. The fact that not one of the racers actually won by making a point themselves makes it pretty obvious that none of them was even an adequate player. Anyway, I remain skeptical. I know from a family friend who was on the show several seasons ago that things are not always as they seem.

p.s. The child was a she, not a he. :)
  • GladGradDadGladGradDad Posts: 2,794Registered User Senior Member
    A junior champion would be capable of beating any adult, handily.
    Yes, with a paddle, but not with a piece of cardboard, the paper side of a clipboard, a frying pan, etc. Use of the latter in place of a paddle makes it very likely there'll be a miss on the part of the person using it, which is what happened.

Given that, I don't believe all of the reality shows are as they're presented with some being much worse (and less believable and sometimes downright fake) than others. This one though is plausible.

Sorry for the gender mixup. I thought I heard someone say 'he' on the show.
  • allyphoeallyphoe Posts: 689Registered User Member
    The racers kept saying "he." They were wrong. ;)
  • KrliliesKrlilies Posts: 1,954Registered User Senior Member
    It was funny actually when Amy said, “That’s just the kind of people we are.” Uh, you mean brainless kind of people. Or to say it in a nicer way, naïve, gullible people. It’s Season 21 of Amazing Race! Haven’t they watched previous seasons and what you need to do and say to win the game? You don’t go around voluntarily giving out info on how to solve clues and find this object or that place. You always want to have the edge because you never know when an injury, flight, clueless driver or traffic will trip you up. And this task was certainly not the time to form an alliance because the next step is the pit stop already.

“No plan can prevent a stupid person from doing the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time....” -Wilson
    I think that's a little rough.^^^. If helping out others comes naturally then it's pretty natural that would be their first response - to help out - not "brainless" . Again, through editing we have no idea what clue they might have had if they were running to be first or not at that point. A few other couples were asking and telling where the abacus lady was- were they brainless too???

I think you thoughts would not necessarily be cut-throat right at the first leg.

I agree that it was the price they paid for telling but I had compassion for them.