Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Frankenstorm

notrichenoughnotrichenough Posts: 6,384Registered User Senior Member
edited December 2012 in Parent Cafe
Here we go again:
Forecasters said there’s a 90 percent chance that the East Coast will get steady gale-force winds, flooding, heavy rain and maybe snow starting Sunday and stretching past Wednesday.
Last year, Halloween got cancelled in many places due to an unusual October snowstorm that left people without power for a week or more.
Post edited by notrichenough on

Replies to: Frankenstorm

• xiggixiggi Posts: 25,335Registered User Senior Member
    I thought this would be about Khloe Kardashian. Oops, that is Frankenberry.
  • MyLBMyLB Posts: 1,102Registered User Senior Member
    I thought Frankenberry was a cereal.
  • bethievtbethievt Posts: 6,759Registered User Senior Member
    Our propane company just called to see if we needed a delivery for our generator if we lose power. At least we have a generator! I just hope we don't have the flooding Irene brought to VT last year.
  • JustaMom5465JustaMom5465 Posts: 1,287Registered User Senior Member
    It would be H's dream come true if Halloween was cancelled again this year, since I can't be there to answer the door (work committments).... :rolleyes:
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Posts: 22,762Registered User Senior Member
    The power grid was really beefed up in my area after Snowtober. If we lose power, the backup plan is to hang out in son's apartment in Boston for a few days. We're going to stock up on food (we've been in just-in-time mode for food for a while), water, get the laundry done and make sure that the gas tank is full before the potential storm.
  • eastcoascrazyeastcoascrazy Posts: 2,022Registered User Senior Member
    Spending the weekend stocking up on the essentials:

Wine
    Halloween candy
    Tiolet paper
    Bottled water
    Chainsaw
    Batteries
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Posts: 22,762Registered User Senior Member
    Good idea on batteries - we'll be sure to charge them this weekend.
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Posts: 11,422Registered User Senior Member
    Spending the weekend stocking up on the essentials:

Wine
    Halloween candy
    Tiolet paper
    Bottled water
    Chainsaw
    Batteries

I am NOT being facetious when I say you definitely have your priorities straight! :D
  • oldfortoldfort Posts: 18,275Registered User Senior Member
    Yes, wine.
  • Mom0f3Mom0f3 Posts: 229Registered User Junior Member
    Just got a generator after the derecho, so we theoretically should be okay if our house loses power. We shall see!
  • bethievtbethievt Posts: 6,759Registered User Senior Member
    Our generator kicks in after one minute. One of my best friends, especially when H is away, as he often is during big storms.
  • GourmetmomGourmetmom Posts: 2,270Registered User Senior Member
    Ugh...other than the wine, dreading this. Hoping for no large trees down and no major yard damage after months of pool and landscaping renovations. One of the weather websites called the storm of "biblical" proportions. Yikes!
  • shellfellshellfell Posts: 1,806Registered User Senior Member
    We just finished having our front yard landscaped. I hope the newly planted shrubs and trees can handle this and that our new topsoil and grass seed doesn't all wash away. We opted not to get a generator after last year's snowstorm (and week without power) because we never lost power for more than a few hours in the 25 years we've lived in our house. However, if we lose power for a lengthy period of time this time, we'll be getting a generator.
  • xiggixiggi Posts: 25,335Registered User Senior Member
    I thought Frankenberry was a cereal.

It is but ...

http://i47.tinypic.com/2qvv66d.jpg
  • nj2011momnj2011mom Posts: 2,885Registered User Senior Member
    Have my AARP-eligible colonoscopy scheduled for Tuesday. Will be quite upset if I do the prep Monday night and can't make it to the medical center Tuesday morning...

H is usually away for these events. He doesn't leave until following Sunday.