Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Does your college student vote?

coolweathercoolweather Posts: 3,315Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Parent Cafe
My 18 years old D requested the mail ballot a long time ago before I reminded her.
Post edited by coolweather on

Replies to: Does your college student vote?

• deega123deega123 Posts: 411Registered User Member
    Mine was home for a short break last week and went to our town's early voting. I tried to early vote this week but every time I went by the polling place the lines were out the door. Hopefully the lines will not be bad tomorrow when all the polling places are open
  • PackMomPackMom Posts: 7,421Registered User Senior Member
    My 2012 grad. S voted last week for the first time.
  • toledotoledo Posts: 4,131Registered User Senior Member
    I told my son about early voting, but he never made it. Now he's back at school. Fine with me, as he's voting for the other candidate.
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Posts: 16,384Registered User Senior Member
    Ds1 voted in his first presidential election absentee from New Zealand. I'm so glad.
  • martina99martina99 Posts: 823Registered User Member
    S transferred his voter registration to his college town (in state)

This is the first presidential election he's eligible to vote in.
  • elka67elka67 Posts: 102Registered User Junior Member
    We'll be picking up our 18 yr old S tonight from school, he'll vote with us at 6am tomorrow and we'll drop him off for his first class right after.
  • fishymomfishymom Posts: 1,849Registered User Senior Member
    My daughter requested an absentee ballot as soon as she got her new dorm box number. When it didn't arrive when expected, she called about it, twice! Finally got her ballot last week, filled it out and took it to the post office the next morning, to make sure it arrived in time. She feels very strongly about this election! Fortunately she is voting for the same candidate as both her parents, so I am glad she was diligent. Her party affiliation is the same as her dad, not me, but I am jumping ship for this election, lol.
  • college_querycollege_query Posts: 2,487Registered User Senior Member
    First presidential election for both of my college kids. D was 17 and a senior in HS last time.

Both are out-of-state at private LACs. D decided to vote via absentee ballot. S, a freshman in college, decided to register to vote in the state where his school is. They provided transportation for the students to go vote a couple of weeks ago.

H and I took advantage of early voting to avoid the crowds. So, all 4 of us have already voted!
  • FallGirlFallGirl Posts: 4,273Registered User Senior Member
    Yes, she has already voted!
  • oldfortoldfort Posts: 16,990Registered User Senior Member
    Yes. D2 is voting. It is her first time to vote, so she is very excited.
  • emilybeeemilybee Posts: 6,132Registered User Senior Member
    Yes. Registered last year in the state where his college is so he could vote in the town's mayoral election. He is very much looking forward to voting tomorrow.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,366Registered User Senior Member
    I stopped by our local board of elections a couple weeks ago with Happykid, where they were happy to supply the absentee ballots, No.2 pencils, and a set of quiet library carrels. We were in and out in about 10 minutes.
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Posts: 6,933Registered User Senior Member
    Yes. My son sent in his absentee ballot two weeks ago. My other two voted absentee when they were in college. Since we're in a supposed swing state, this is where their vote will count more. So glad my kids vote - my husband and I have been cancelling out each others vote since we got married. Now I have three more people on my side!
  • capcap Posts: 573Registered User Member
    My college student did, but the other two did not. They are both overseas (different parts of the world) and have next to no mail service. They decided that spending the $5 or so in postage it would require and not even be sure it would ever leave the country, much less make it here on time was a waste of their very limited funds. Email or fax is not an option with the state. Neither is anywhere near an embassy where it could be dropped.
  • abasketabasket Posts: 8,929Registered User Senior Member
    My son also voted over his fall break at early voting. Early Voting is a great option for college students - too bad all states don't offer it.
This discussion has been closed.