Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Do you mind another "which fridge" thread?

my2sunzmy2sunz Posts: 585Registered User Member
edited November 2012 in Parent Cafe
I have to replace our fridge and have narrowed it to two. I want a french door style (freezer on the bottom) with ice/water dispenser on the door. I also need counter depth, due to my kitchen configuration. SO....my choices are either a Samsung model or LG. Any input re: quality, service, quirks, etc? Good/bad experiences with either brand? I also looked at a Kenmore (can't remember why I didn't like it as much, but might still consider that....I think it was a few hundred $ more expensive though) and Kitchen Aid (too small, so eliminated).
Help! My current fridge is freezing everything and older, so not worth fixing.
Thank you!
Post edited by my2sunz on

Replies to: Do you mind another "which fridge" thread?

• VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,540Registered User Senior Member
    No input, but I question why you want the french door style. From what I've heard, things go in there and don't get found for months. ;)
  • Classof2015Classof2015 Posts: 3,437Registered User Senior Member
    my2sunz -- I got a lot of good info and advice when I posted a very similar question:
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1245936-french-door-fridge-should-i-get-one.html

I wish I could tell you I bought one and love it but I couldn't really find anything that met our needs and price range. Good luck!
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 23,543Registered User Senior Member
    French doors mean the turkey or a cookie tray fit in the fridge. I have a Kenmore side by side and find the freezer too narrow too often. The other thing I just loathe about it is the "no spill shelves". This means they have plastic tilty bits all around the edge and they stop short of the edge of the fridge interior with the result that small jars constantly fall over the edge frequently spilling all over the back or sides of fridge.

By the way if you are willing to do some carpentry work you can recess a non counter depth fridge into the wall the depth of the stud. Basically you create a doorway and recess the fridge into the door. You have to figure out where to install the electric plug to make it work, but if space is type it may be a possible solution.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 37,577Registered User Senior Member
    A good friend just got a counter depth Kenmore French door and loves it.

I'm getting a Samsung side by side counter depth when I replace my fridge. We stayed at a friends where a french door was...and no matter which side unopened, what I wanted was on the other side.

We can't make the spot deeper and use a regular fridge. Ours backs up to our downstairs bathroom!
  • my2sunzmy2sunz Posts: 585Registered User Member
    Thanks all. I'll check that older thread.
    We can't do the recessed thing because it backs up to our back hallway. And we're not handy. At all :) So it would be expensive to have done. But it's a good thought to remember when/if we remodel our kitchen someday.
    We currently have a GE side by side and the freezer is narrow, stuff is always falling out (of the freezer)....I hate it! Lots of annoyances beyond the fact that it's not working properly. I can imagine that we will have the issue of always opening the wrong door, thumper, but I'll trade it for the current irritation that I have with my side by side.
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 23,543Registered User Senior Member
    "If space is type", should of course read "if space is tight" :rolleyes: - some day I'll learn to tight. ;)
  • MomLiveMomLive Posts: 2,370Registered User Senior Member
    I'm in the exact same situation (counter-depth and French doors) and was trying to choose between the Samsung and LG. I spent hours researching both and finally decided on the Samsung for reliability purposes. Seems like there were more complaints about the LG. I haven't bought one yet...am waiting for the Black Friday sales.

Sears does have a Kenmore model but it is actually made by LG.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,497Registered User Senior Member
    So for you empty nesters, how large of a fridge do you use?
    I only need a lot of room when I entertain and that is very seldom. I also have a chest freezer, but need a new fridge. Not too big though, I tend to lose things so I am hesitant to look at many models because they seem so big.
    MomLive - I looked at both Sears and Lowes, both of which carried the Samsung. Lowes was a tiny bit more expensive, but does free delivery and haul away. But FYI - the salesperson at Sears told me that this Sunday (11/11) there will be a "Friends and Family" sale from 6-9 pm only and there will be very good prices. Do you think Black Friday sales will be better? I'm thinking that if it's a reasonably good price, I'll just get it on Sunday. But I'm not so desperate that I can't wait a few weeks. And I'm not having Thanksgiving here this year :) And thanks for your input on reliability...that helps.
    PS - a friend of mine has an LG and she likes it, but a plastic piece broke off and she is having a terrible time trying to replace the part...apparently LG's customer service/parts are awful!
  • PieMomPieMom Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
    We put in two (sidebyside) 24" Liebherr fridges w/ freezer drawers on the bottom. We love them! They are not sold at the big box stores, but kitchen appliance stores have them. They have units that are 24", 30", 36". My sister has a 30" for just the 2 of them (no kiddos), and loves it too. It's a European brand and design, so built narrower, for smaller kitchens/apartments.

I recommend checking out Gardenweb for everything you want to know about kitchen-everything. But be forewarned that it's another "timesuck," like CC. . .
  • MomLiveMomLive Posts: 2,370Registered User Senior Member
    My2Sunz- is it the RFG237 you are looking at? I originally saw it at HH Greg right before Labor Day and the salesperson told me that after Labor Day the next best sale price would be Black Friday.

A lot of stores carry this model but only in Stainless. I already have Black appliances. I've been going back and forth whether to do SS or Black but I was at someone's house yesterday with SS and it looked terrible. Permanent streaks. I think I'm going with black. Sears doesn't seem to carry it in black but I know Lowes and Best Buy do. HH Greg only carries SS.
  • az1001az1001 Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
    Four years ago I bought a french-door LG with water/ice on the door. It broke a few months ago and I could not get it fixed. Every high end appliance store I visited to check out a new fridge told me they won't even stock LG due to reliability issues.

I purchased last year's black GE Profile counter-depth french-door model with water/ice on the door to replace the LG and we love it. It's small, but would be more than adequate for a family of 4 - 5 .

I find that since it's smaller it's easier to see what we have, easier to clean, etc.

Good luck.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,540Registered User Senior Member
    I'm going to go with a counter-depth 42- or 48-inch-wide side-by-side in stainless steel, with no water or ice dispenser in the door. Suggestions as to brand, please. (I've always been happy with GE appliances and don't think one can go wrong with them.)
  • worknprogress2worknprogress2 Posts: 1,355Registered User Senior Member
    I love my Samsung refrigerator. It does make some interesting sounds, but I love it.

We am a near vegetarian (occasional fish) so no turkey worries! Freezer drawer on the bottom, french doors on top. I love it.
    I just bought the Samsung counter depth french door one at Sears. It was $2,599 (or thereabouts) when I started this thread last week. It was on sale today for $1,799 and then an additional $180 off for their "Friends and Family" sale. This was by far the best price I've found for a counter depth french door model, so I'm happy :)