Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What movies can you happily watch over and over again?

MommaJMommaJ Posts: 4,357Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Parent Cafe
I'm talking about movies you have a deep and long-standing fondness for, so that you'll watch one whenever you notice it's being broadcast or happen to catch a glimpse of it while flipping channels. You'll watch the beginning, middle or end, it doesn't matter, and can speak the dialogue right along with the actors. For H, it's any of the Godfather trilogy and Moonstruck. For me it's Dirty Dancing, Almost Famous and The Birdcage. I can't say those three are the best movies ever made (though Birdcage may be one of the funniest), but there's something about them that strikes a chord with me and makes them feel like old friends I get to visit with now and again. (And this has nothing to do with a shirtless Patrick Swayze, no really, nothing...)

Your "old friend" movies?
Post edited by MommaJ on

Replies to: What movies can you happily watch over and over again?

• NewHavenCTmomNewHavenCTmom Posts: 1,032Registered User Senior Member
    The Fugitive, Good Will Hunting, and of course, Godfather.
  • 3Triplet3Triplet Posts: 130Registered User Junior Member
    When Harry Met Sally!
  • NJTheatreMOMNJTheatreMOM Posts: 2,747Registered User Senior Member
    Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility; Six Degrees of Separation; Basquiat; Big; Galaxy Quest; Howard's End; K-Pax; In Bruges; Local Hero; Mesrine; Miller's Crossing; October Sky; Reversal of Fortune; Topsy Turvy; Wind; Amadeus.

I also agree with MommaJ that Moonstruck and Dirty Dancing are eminently re-watchable. :)
  • fishymomfishymom Posts: 1,849Registered User Senior Member
    The Birdcage is my favorite movies ever, always, always watch it!!! My husband loves Army of Darkness and The Frisco Kid. My daughter will always watch Notting Hill and Meet the Robinsons.
  • 3bm1033bm103 Posts: 3,497Registered User Senior Member
    Love Actually, Top Gun, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and sometimes To Kill a Mockingbird.
  • overseasoverseas Posts: 2,925Registered User Senior Member
    Dances with Wolves, the Electric Cowboy, ... I like Goodwill Hunting also and Sense and Sensibility and Out of Africa. I just depends.
  • oldfortoldfort Posts: 16,104Registered User Senior Member
    The Holiday, Sleepless in Seattle, While You Were Sleeping, Same Time Next Year.
  • kitty56kitty56 Posts: 1,245Registered User Senior Member
    Thank goodness someone said Top Gun before I did ;)!

We will also watch Apollo 13 (always nerve wracking even though I know how it turns out!), Rudy, Down Periscope, National Lampoon's Vacation and Christmas Vacation. Yeah, I know those last three don't focus on the depth of human emotion, but I'm not always ready for a movie like that at home. I generally prefer light and funny.

Two movies that I haven't seen on TV in a long time and would love to watch again are Same Time Next Year and Mr. Holland's Opus.
  • kitty56kitty56 Posts: 1,245Registered User Senior Member
    Wow, Old Fort. I didn't think anyone would remember Same Time Next Year!
  • oldfortoldfort Posts: 16,104Registered User Senior Member
    You could watch it on Youtube. I still cry every time.
  • justforthisjustforthis Posts: 301Registered User Member
    Pride and Prejudice
  • patsmompatsmom Posts: 2,915Registered User Senior Member
    An Affair To Remember (am I showing my age?).
  • JustaMom5465JustaMom5465 Posts: 1,187Registered User Senior Member
    The Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather (parts I and II), Gladiator, Blazing Saddles, among others.

There's a few that USED to be on this list, I think I watched them one too many times, including Forrest Gump, Dances with Wolves, and Goodfellas...
  • lizardlizard Posts: 2,689Registered User Senior Member
    It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
  • rcefnrcefn Posts: 315Registered User Member
    As a matter of fact, I just had the opportunity to watch my favorite move of all time last night,--a special 50th anniversary screening of To Kill A Mockingbird--and the best part. . . I was able to spend the evening with Mary Badham--aka Scout Finch.