Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Holiday Hostess Gifts?

tired alreadytired already Posts: 132Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in Parent Cafe
We've been invited to a holiday cocktail party at my manager's house. It's a big deal and I suppose I feel lucky to have been invited. I don't want to show up empty handed, what's a good hostess gift? He and is wife don't really drink so I don't want to give them a bottle of wine. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Post edited by tired already on

Replies to: Holiday Hostess Gifts?

• moonchildmoonchild Posts: 2,856Registered User Senior Member
    Things I've received and enjoyed: Pretty candles, interesting spices or flavored vinegars, rare teas, chocolates, small plants, jams, homemade cookies...
  • silverladysilverlady Posts: 325Registered User Member
    Personalized cocktail napkins are special, and not too expensive. I worked at a party store and we imprinted tons of them for hostess gifts. You could have their first names with their last name initial above it. We would get many orders this time of year for hostess gifts. We had one hostess who would give them to her guests as a party favor.
  • 1moremom1moremom Posts: 3,788Registered User Senior Member
    For something a little more unusual but truly useful-- Handmade soap is a popular item at our local farmers' markets. A house guest recently brought me several (including dog soap :)) and the scents are heavenly. They are also beautifully wrapped. I will use them eventually but right now I have them in with my sweaters.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 32,339Registered User Senior Member
    Personalized cocktail napkins are special, and not too expensive. I worked at a party store and we imprinted tons of them for hostess gifts. You could have their first names with their last name initial above it.

No offense, but I don't get that.^^
    Presumably the attendees know who their host is, so :confused:?

If they don't drink because of religious or addiction related reasons, I wouldn't give anything alcoholic, but if it is just a matter of personal taste, I might give them a bottle anyway if I knew them well enough that I knew they liked to offer wine to their guests or use it in cooking.
    If I didn't know that, I might consider a cordial or some sort of fancy liqueur to go over ice cream.;)

With the party season upon us, I've found gifts that can be shared later to be appreciated.
    Homemade Christmas cookies that can weather being frozen until needed?
    Speaking of ice cream, I recently tried fig vinegar over vanilla ice cream & it was delicious!
    Vinegars - Balsamic Vinegars - Dark Balsamic Vinegars - The Olive Tap
  • chocchipcookiechocchipcookie Posts: 1,918Registered User Senior Member
    At the Bed, Bath & Beyond store, they have wine bottle "stoppers" that I have given as gifts before. They can be bought in the initial of the last name. It's been a year or so since I bought one, but I think they were @$9.99 and then you could use a 20% off coupon....they looked nice, made of some faux crystal type material.
  • ELYELY Posts: 1,117Registered User Senior Member
    I like to give either high-end chocolates (i.e. Lindt) or Yankee candles (jar candles).
  • SteveMASteveMA Posts: 6,079Registered User Senior Member
    I give gift packs from Penzey's Spices. They have been well received everywhere!
  • sevmomsevmom Posts: 4,058Registered User Senior Member
    Speaking of Lindt-they make good hot chocolate mixes (as does probably Godiva,etc). That could make a nice hostess gift at this time of year.
  • kiddiekiddie Posts: 1,333Registered User Senior Member
    Flowers are always a good hostess gift - I love when somebody brings me some when I entertain.
  • sevmomsevmom Posts: 4,058Registered User Senior Member
    kiddie, I always have plenty of flowers I've bought myself if i am having anyone visiting so that actually tends to throw me off if someone brings them.But I do love flowers and that tends to be a nice gift. I had someone bring me an orchid in a very nice ceramic pot to a party I had. That was a very nice gift that I still enjoy.
  • GeorgiatwinsGeorgiatwins Posts: 444Registered User Member
    Agree with prior poster about personalized gift items-whether they are printed cocktail napkins, guest towels ( paper imprinted) or a self-inking stamp-I enjoy them and so have the people I have brought them to for gifts. Websites such as Stationary Studio have great sales right now, with all kinds of things that can be personalized. Turn around time is quick-just ordered several hostess gifts.
  • 12rmh1812rmh18 Posts: 1,788Registered User Senior Member
    If they like to grill or are foodies, Trader Joes carries a 4-pack of seasoned salt grinders for under $10.
  • 1214mom1214mom Posts: 1,102Registered User Senior Member
    If you are considering flowers, I suggest some that do not need anything other than what you bring. The host may not have time to hunt up a vase, etc. during the party. Chocolate or wine, which can be used at the party or not, as they prefer, are great also.
  • collegealum314collegealum314 Posts: 6,303Registered User Senior Member
    If you're thinking of handing out twinkies for the holidays, you'd better stock up. Hostess just went bankrupt.
  • SteveMASteveMA Posts: 6,079Registered User Senior Member
    1214mom--or you can get a bottle of the Chocolate Wine (ChocoVine)--very nummy:D

collegealum314--NOOOOOOOO!!!