Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What wine will you be serving for thanksgiving?

dadofsamdadofsam Posts: 1,613Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Parent Cafe
Still deciding what we will be serving, but have found in the past that a nice medium-weight pinot noir goes very well with turkey. On the other hand, it may not go so well with some of the very flavorful side dishes that will be served (cranberry sauce, sweet potato/pineapple concoctions, rich tomato sauces, etc.). So one might need a heavier-bodied pinot noir such as one from Santa Barbara or nearby regions. Others have recommended a Loire cabernet france (Chinon, Bourgeil, Saumur, etc.) Or a lighter-bodied zinfandel (yes, there are a few of these still being made).

For whites I often look for an Alsatian wine (big-bodied, very fruity but very dry); they can stand up to most dishes but don't overwhelm a turkey.

And you?
Post edited by dadofsam on

Replies to: What wine will you be serving for thanksgiving?

• mrscollegemrscollege Posts: 659Registered User Member
    Thanks for the wine ideas.

In my family, it's potluck, and I do the rolls. I bake a sweet white roll and a wheat roll. I bake dozens and dozens of them. I'm always looking for great bread recipes if anyone has any they love and wants to share.
  • heyalbheyalb Posts: 956Registered User Member
    For whites, dry riesling or sauternes would go well with the rich sides and not overpower turkey, but will still stand up to it.

For reds, I'm personally not a pinot noir fan, so I just go with what I love --- a full-bodied Bordeaux.
  • SteveMASteveMA Posts: 6,079Registered User Senior Member
    I buy and drink what I like. I don't pay much attention to what goes with what :D. I like a wine called New Age. It's a white from Argentina that has a bit of a bite to it--almost like a "light" champagne. If you like reislings, you should try this one.

No one else drinks wine so I get to have what I want.
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 22,912Registered User Senior Member
    I've had gewurztraminer with turkey. Similar to Riesling, but a little spicer.
  • MyLBMyLB Posts: 1,102Registered User Senior Member
    ^^we always used to do gewurztraminer with turkey. Not sure why we stopped doing that.
  • sewhappysewhappy Posts: 4,428- Senior Member
    Pinot Noir. Probably from Oregon. And something bubbly.
  • missypiemissypie Posts: 16,785Registered User Senior Member
    I always do Beaujolais Nouveau.
  • bethievtbethievt Posts: 6,671Registered User Senior Member
    I always go cheap.
  • KrliliesKrlilies Posts: 1,986Registered User Senior Member
    Champagne for the adults and sparkling cider for the kids.
  • hudsonvalley51hudsonvalley51 Posts: 2,396Registered User Senior Member
    As per my wife's family tradition we'll start with a brut champagne, then transition to an Alsatian Pinot Blanc for the main meal. I'll top things off after dinner with football and a glass of Warre's Warrior port wine.
  • AllThisIsNewToMeAllThisIsNewToMe Posts: 2,004Registered User Senior Member
    mrscollege, One word for you...Pinterest!

We are an iced tea/soda family, so I can't help on the wine.
  • Grcxx3Grcxx3 Posts: 2,057Registered User Senior Member
    We are going to a Thanksgiving gathering where everyone is bringing wine to share.

Several people are bringing reds, so we will probably bring a couple of bottles of white. Not sure what we'll bring .....either a South African white (like Nederburg) or a Portuguese white (Casa Ferreirinha Douro is our current fav or maybe Monte Velho) or a Chilean white (Casillero del Diablo).

Of course, if DH was lucky today and managed to get a Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc at the Heathrow Duty Free......then we will bring that.
  • SteveMASteveMA Posts: 6,079Registered User Senior Member
    mrscollege---we do the Rhode's frozen rolls here. They are actually VERY good and EASY. Take them out of the freezer, let them raise in a greased pan for about 5 hours, bake.

I do have a potato roll recipe that I LOVE with left over turkey:

2 cakes yeast
    1 cup warm water (110°), mix with yeast
    1 1/3 cup soft butter (not melted)
    1 1/2 cup sugar
    1 tbsp salt
    2 cups mashed potatoes, reserve water used to boil potatoes
    2 cups hot potato water from above (I drain the potatoes into a colander with a large bowl under it to catch the water)
    3 large eggs
    9 cups of flour--approx.
    ____
    --Peal, boil and mash potatoes, save water
    --dissolve yeast in warm water
    --add butter, sugar, salt, potatoes to hot potato water, let cool to lukewarm then stir in yeast and eggs--make sure this water isn't too hot or you will kill the yeast
    add flour 1 cup at a time until dough is stiff
    --butter a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight
    --when ready to bake, form rolls to desired size and bake at 400° for 20 minutes.

These are a heavy roll, not light and fluffy like a dinner roll. The combination of the sweet bread and turkey with mayo is just NUMMY for leftovers!!!
  • BromfieldBromfield Posts: 1,936Registered User Member
    We always do Beaujolais Nouveau. I like the idea of Gewurstraminer, Mathmom. Will have to suggest that to the to my H, who is the wine person in our family.