Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Who's Trying A New Thanksgiving Recipe???

abasketabasket Posts: 8,933Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Parent Cafe
It's that time of year when every other Cafe thread is about food. :)

Anyone trying out a new Thanksgiving dish this year???? We go to my brother's for Thanksgiving - my usual "required to bring" dishes include the hot pineapple casserole and some type of muffins - probably pumpkin.

But also thinking I'd like to give this recipe a try - sounds fall-ish but different!

Spaghetti Squash with Jalape
Post edited by abasket on

Replies to: Who's Trying A New Thanksgiving Recipe???

• bethievtbethievt Posts: 6,725Registered User Senior Member
    That sounds really good! If I made that, I'd use Cabot seriously sharp cheddar, but kids might like jack cheese better. I'm making sauteed brussels sprouts for the second year. Much better texture than steamed or boiled. Also pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap crust. Yum!
  • Classof2015Classof2015 Posts: 3,437Registered User Senior Member
    I'm making sauteed brussels sprouts for the second year. Much better texture than steamed or boiled.

Ooh -- those sound yummy, bethievt. Can you share the recipe? I usually roast brussel sprouts in the oven but it might get kind of crowded there with the turkey...
  • sewhappysewhappy Posts: 4,428- Senior Member
    I'm trying a couple new things. Main new recipe will be the actual turkey. Going to use Ina Garten's approach and buy a Kosher turkey and slip the truffle butter under the skin, no dressing in the cavity. Also going to do the molasses spice cake with blueberry compote and homemade pumpkin ice cream featured in this months Home & Garden (from the Stonewall Kitchens guys). Oh, and the Cook's Illustrated brilliant all purpose gravy I just discovered.

Considering baking homemade rolls. Haven't done that one in a few years.

My totally fav holiday.
  • abasketabasket Posts: 8,933Registered User Senior Member
    Sounds delicious everyone!
  • MommaJMommaJ Posts: 4,659Registered User Senior Member
    Not really a new recipe, but this year I'm breaking tradition in a big way by making only a couple of turkey breasts--just didn't feel like wrestling with a whole bird when no one eats the dark meat at my house anyway. (Guess I'm feeling my age.) Before you say "but the gravy!", know that I'll be using a make-ahead gravy recipe that involves using legs and wings to make a rich stock, so we'll still have the flavor of the rest of the bird on the table. (I've made this gravy for years--hate the last minute scramble to make gravy from the pan drippings when so much else is happening in the kitchen.)
  • MD MomMD Mom Posts: 6,728Registered User Senior Member
    It will just be four of us, but I bought food for ten. Some years ago, I bought a rotisserie for hubby's grill. It gets the turkey out of the oven and it is delicious. I need the recipe for the make ahead gravy though. Is it something you would pass along, MommaJ?

I did buy frozen yams, which I will use in something.
  • intparentintparent Posts: 13,236Registered User Senior Member
    My family is... after 58 years of marriage, my dad told my mom this week that he actually doesn't really like turkey. Who knew? You learn something new about your spouse even after all that time, I guess! So... mom asked me if it is okay if we have a couple of rotisserie chickens instead. Um... yes! I end up doing most of the cooking at her house on Thanksgiving, which I don't enjoy (my mom never even has an onion in the house). They are getting old to travel, so it is easier if I go there. So this year we are having chicken!

I do love turkey, but I can make one in my own kitchen on my own schedule.
  • SteveMASteveMA Posts: 6,079Registered User Senior Member
    MommaJ--can I have that gravy recipe please!!! I would love to have it ready to go like that--and, there never seems to be enough drippings from the turkey to make a good sized batch of gravy!
  • xiggixiggi Posts: 22,876Registered User Senior Member
    Ooh -- those sound yummy, bethievt. Can you share the recipe? I usually roast brussel sprouts in the oven but it might get kind of crowded there with the turkey...

Brussels sprouts have been elevated to cult status at home. One of the tricks is to reduce or eliminate the bitterness. This can be accomplished by caramelization and addition of sweeter ingredients such as sugar, nuts, red cabbage, etc.

For the boiled version, a nice trick is to add either baking soda or sugar to the water. Both will make the bitter taste go away, and baking soda will also make the little gems keep their color.

Also, if you do not split them for roasting, remember to cut the bottom a bit or cross it.
  • musicamusicamusicamusica Posts: 5,114Registered User Senior Member
    Every year I do the same thing. Make the stock the weekend before T-giving. Buy an inexpensive small bird (sale price at my super market is around 8$ for a 15 pounder) I cut the breast off (for later use) and then I take the wings, legs, and everything else, and roast the heck out it(with onions celery and carrots) for our turkey stock. It's the good stock that makes the gravy. Tony Bourdain demonstrated this on his holiday show a few years back. Works like a charm, and you can have that pesky gravy done ahead of time. Holiday Turkey Tips from Anthony Bourdain - YouTube
  • VAMom2015VAMom2015 Posts: 1,296Registered User Senior Member
    Yum, that squash recipe looks like a winner!
  • KajonKajon Posts: 3,558Registered User Senior Member
    This is the first time I will be making a "chemical free" turkey so I am a little nervous that without all those wonderful Butterball/JennyO injections that I will have a dry bird. I have read that rubbing my turkey with mayo will keep it moist and add flavor. Thoughts??????? Since I am so longer stuffing the bird, I want to put a few tasty items in the empty cavity. I was thinking rosemary sprigs. Any other ideas?
  • musicamusicamusicamusica Posts: 5,114Registered User Senior Member
    BUTTER under the skin and sage, thyme and pepper in the cavity.

FYI:
    My sister calls me "the turkey whisperer".
  • deb922deb922 Posts: 2,441Registered User Senior Member
    I'd love some Brussel sprout recipes. I'm the only one who likes them but they are so good.

We are going to my MIL's. I was suppose to make broccoli salad but I have no idea how to make it and no one in my family likes it anyways. So I traded with my SIL. I will make two desserts which I am much better at. Found something called pumpkin crunch. It's not fancy but I think people will like it. If I can find the recipe I will make this brownie chocolate whipped cream thing or an Oreo cheesecake. I am not a gourmet cook :)
  • bethievtbethievt Posts: 6,725Registered User Senior Member
    Brussels sprouts from Cooking Light

2 tsp butter
    1 cup chopped onion
    4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    8 cups halved and thinly sliced Brussels sprouts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    1/2 cup fat free chicken broth
    1 1/2 Tbs sugar (I don't use any sugar)
    8 tsp coarsely chopped pecans, toasted (walnuts are just as good and neither need to be toasted)

1. Melt butter in large skillet over med-hi heat. Add onion and garlic and saute about 4 minutes. Stir in Brussels sprouts; saute 2 min. Add broth and sugar, cook 5 min or until liquid is gone. Sprinkle with pecans.

This is so good that even people who hate Brussels sprouts like it.