Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Thanksgiving desert that lacks dairy and is diabetic friendly?

romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 25,332Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Parent Cafe
So here's a challenge for you, because I've about given up trying to find something just by googling.

I am going to spend Thanksgiving with our family friends (it's a tradition we've been doing for years) and I'd like to make a desert. One of their children has juvenile diabetes and the mom and the younger child are both vegetarians and lactose-intolerant.

I'd love to make a fruit-based desert, but I'm having problems finding something either without dairy or that's relatively low in carbs. I'm willing to use substitutions to lower carbs or that has a dairy alternative, but I'm on a fairly small budget. I'd even be open to making two different deserts if necessary, but I'd like to avoid that if possible due primarily to space issues (I will be making it in my extremely tiny kitchen).

So any ideas?
Post edited by romanigypsyeyes on

Replies to: Thanksgiving desert that lacks dairy and is diabetic friendly?

• BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 20,158Registered User Senior Member
    Are they vegan or vegetarian? If the latter, this looks promising:

Dairy Free Desserts With Splenda Recipes | Yummly
  • eireanneireann Posts: 1,439Registered User Senior Member
    No sugar at all? Is sugar in fruit okay? You could make a crisp or a crumble with no or little added sugar and have different ice cream options (sugar free, dairy, coconut milk based) with it.

Some great vegan Thanksgiving desserts:
    Can You Bake a Vegan Pie? - NYTimes.com
    I'd imagine you could make the apple pie low or no-sugar or use agave if that's okay.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/11/08/health/20101108_thanksgiving.html#Chocolate-Pumpkin_Bread_Pudding

Also, if fruit's okay maybe something like pears poached in wine with no added sugar? Nuts and very dark chocolate might be good to have around too.

http://www.theppk.com/category/recipe/desserts/
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 25,332Registered User Senior Member
    Sugar is OK- especially the natural sugar in fruit. It just can't be loaded. Her mom is a stomach doctor (I'm not even going to attempt to spell that... gastro...) so if I give her the recipe I'm sure she can account for the carbs. I just wanted it to try to be as low as possible.

And that's a cool recipe. I have made blueberry crisp before but it's very heavy in sugar. I can look for some low sugar recipes.

BB, they're vegetarian but lactose-intolerance. They can eat eggs. Cool site, thanks!
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 20,158Registered User Senior Member
    As I recall, I tried these yummy cookies made by a coworker (I think this is close to the recipe she used):

Cooks.com - Recipe - Oatmeal & Applesauce Cookies - Sugarless

They do not have any added sugar, just whatever comes from the fruit (and optional honey).
  • deega123deega123 Posts: 500Registered User Member
    Check out these ingredients for crustless cranberry pie. It does have 1 cup of sugar, but when you divide it per serving it works out to two tablespoons per serving. (I hope I did the math correctly!) You can bring some vanilla ice cream to serve along side for the other guests who don't have sugar or dairy issues.

Crustless Cranberry Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com
  • PackMomPackMom Posts: 7,631Registered User Senior Member
    Super simple recipe from weight watchers..
    2 12oz. bags of mixed frozen fruit (berrries)
    1 box white cake mix
    1 can diet Sprite or Sierra Mist

Put frozen fruit in 9x13 pan
    Pour cake mix over fruit..do not stir..just pour on top to make a crust.
    Slowly pour can of diet Sprite over cake mix.
    Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
    Can be topped w/ sugar free ice cream or cool whip if desired.
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,930Registered User Senior Member
    I substitute a lot of regular dessert recipes with earth balance butter to make it dairy free and it tastes delicious... depending on the dessert, soy or almond milks also make good substitutes but it depends on what you're making. I do a lot of fruit pies and cocoa-based desserts where my only dairy concern to begin with would be the butter, since that's really easy to substitute without creating any unusual flavors for those who are not accustomed to dairy-free living. I don't know anything about sugar, unfortunately.

Kroger sells pints of really good dairy free ice cream, too. I think the brand I like is Purely Decadent. So that's an option if you need it that should be easily accessible where you are. They also carry earth balance, which is otherwise hard to find.
  • Sop14's MomSop14's Mom Posts: 792Registered User Member
    I've baked my pumpkin pie (which is dairy-free) using Splenda brown sugar before, and it turned out fine, so that's another option.
  • SteveMASteveMA Posts: 6,079Registered User Senior Member
    My friend that is diabetic makes a lot of cookies and cakes using apple juice or apple sauce vs sugar. You might want to look for options like that.
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 41,166Registered User Senior Member
    Was just going to mention substituting apple juice. We've also substituted it for fat (oil) in stuffing
  • APOLAPOL Posts: 1,774Registered User Senior Member
    This recipe is delicious!
    Raw Pecan Tartlets...if you make more you can make into a pecan pie>
    Raw Pecan Tartlets
    This site has other raw food recipes that taste great and are easy to make!!!
    EnJOY~
    -APOL-a Mum
  • musicmom1215musicmom1215 Posts: 1,411Registered User Senior Member
    You might look at some jello-based desserts using sugar-free jello. I have a great recipe with blueberries and pineapple in raspberry jello, but the topping (which is what makes it so good) includes sour cream.
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,930Registered User Senior Member
    Sop14'smom, could you share that pumpkin pie recipe? I haven't had pumpkin pie since I developed my dairy allergy and it's BF's favorite.
  • martharapmartharap Posts: 479Registered User Member
    Type 1 diabetics just have to take enough insulin to balance the carbs they eat. So, figure out the carbs in each portion and then all is well. No need for special recipes.
  • boysx3boysx3 Posts: 5,160Registered User Senior Member
    Try googling for kosher desserts--many are made without dairy because of the prohibition of mixing meat and dairy at the same meal. There are a lot of great options. If you see the word "pareve" it means that there are no dairy or meat products in the recipe.