Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Hair question

victoriaheidivictoriaheidi Posts: 669Registered User Member
edited November 2012 in Parent Cafe
Totally unsure where to post this, but I thought someone might have advice.

I have crazy-curly hair (think Bernadette Peters) and I love it. I got it cut about a week ago, and it's been acting up ever since. Instead of curling all over, it curls in some places and has this bushy layer over it (think girl from Brave or a bit of a Hermione Granger vibe). It also is much thicker at the ends than at the roots, which is the opposite of what I'm used to. And no, there was no chemical process involved--I've never done anything to my hair. I still use the same products that I always used.

Any ideas of what might have happened?
Post edited by victoriaheidi on

Replies to: Hair question

• VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,241Registered User Senior Member
    Maybe it was a bad cut??
  • eireanneireann Posts: 1,372Registered User Senior Member
    I've heard more than once that with curly hair, the cut can make an enormous difference. My friends with curly hair will inconvenience themselves (I know one person who is now driving to a different state) to stick with the same hair stylist once they find one that can cut their hair well because curly hair is a different challenge, and many hair stylists don't do it well.

I'd go on yelp and search "curly hair" in your area. If you have a lot of salons around, you should be able to get some ideas of where to go based on reviews.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,241Registered User Senior Member
    In my neck of the woods, we have a salon that does "Ouidad" cuts, specifically for curly hair. Sounds like you're in a major urban center, so perhaps you can find someone who does those cuts.

Here you go: Ouidad Los Angeles, CA
  • rachelm57rachelm57 Posts: 231Registered User Junior Member
    The think ends could be split ends, ir an issue with the scissors that they used. Do you usually have short hair? If not you may want to change how you style it. But next time, or now if you so wish, find someone who is a ouidad stylist, they know curls.
  • victoriaheidivictoriaheidi Posts: 669Registered User Member
    I'm going to check out that Ouidad Salon. It's really weird...my old hairdresser always messed up my hair, so I started going to someone who's great at styling but (apparently) not right for cutting my hair.

Thank you all for your advice!
  • SerenityJadeSerenityJade Posts: 1,221Registered User Senior Member
    I know it might sound silly but try to find a hairdresser with good looking curly hair. She'll know the struggle it is and on the very slight chance she doesn't know how to cut curly hair well, she must know someone who does.
  • victoriaheidivictoriaheidi Posts: 669Registered User Member
    Haha, true. Mine has curly hair, which is why I was so surprised!

Short-term, however, I'm considering buying spray-in dye and the appropriate costume and trying to get work at kid's parties as Merida from Brave. :p
  • SerenityJadeSerenityJade Posts: 1,221Registered User Senior Member
    I forgot to say that her hair should be naturally curly...Hairdressers tend to like perms..
  • MinnymomMinnymom Posts: 636Registered User Member
    My hair does what you are describing. The bottom layers form beautiful spiral curls, especially in the back but the top layer of my hair looks puffy and dry if I let it dry naturally. So I put a silicon type product in my hair and blow dry the top layers of my hair then touch it up with a large barrel curling iron. I then finger the curls together and don't brush it. I have long layers with top of shoulder length.
  • ellebudellebud Posts: 2,328Registered User Senior Member
    Bumble makes a product for curly hair. And I'm afraid that you got a bad hair cut. There is one hair salon near me that sells the product....pm me for the google directions to the salon.
  • dmd77dmd77 Posts: 7,674Registered User Senior Member
    There's a famous dog trainer (famous in dog training circles anyway) named Kathy Sdao who has absolutely beautiful curly hair. Five years ago (she talks about this when she gives training seminars) she started doing a special routine for her hair that involves not brushing it, as described in this book: Curly Girl: The Handbook: Michele Bender, Lorraine Massey, Deborah Chiel: 9780761156789: Amazon.com: Books

Made me wish I had curly hair!
  • SteveMASteveMA Posts: 6,079Registered User Senior Member
    My sister has hair like your hair. She has stopped using shampoo and washes her hair with conditioner instead. That is what the book dmd77 suggests to do. She has been doing that for about 5 years now and has no frizz at all. It takes her about a week to get her hair back to "normal" after a cut because her stylist uses shampoo. Give it a week or so to try. I've been trying to get my DD to try this as well--also has long, curly hair. So far she has not.
  • PanhandlegalPanhandlegal Posts: 547Registered User Member
    Victoriaheidi, you and I must come from similar gene pools! The few times I've grown my hair longer, it reaches a point where it grows OUT rather than down! I use a product from abba called 'gentle conditioner'. It's a leave-in product that moisturizes my hair nicely and helps tremendously with the frizzies! I'm sure you know brushing curly hair isn't the way to go as it contributes to the frizziness of your hair. Also, I always find my hair does better with a couple of days of dirt on it--as opposed to daily shampoos.....I spritz my hair with a spray bottle, add the gentle conditioner, give it a comb-through with my fingers and I'm off! As you know, a good cut is essential! Good luck!