Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Indeed.com for Job Searching?

ThereseRThereseR Posts: 419Registered User Member
edited December 2012 in Parent Cafe
What are your thoughts on using Indeed.com to search for jobs?
Post edited by ThereseR on

Replies to: Indeed.com for Job Searching?

• VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,547Registered User Senior Member
    I've used it. It's pretty good. It aggregates want ads from all sorts of places. Sort of like one-stop shopping.
  • vlinesvlines Posts: 3,579Registered User Senior Member
    Very good job of aggregating, like very happy said. Set up the email alerts and you will have emails each morning.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Posts: 11,674Registered User Senior Member
    I think it is one of the best sites for job searching for certain types of jobs. It does a pretty good job of aggregating what is indexed by search robots.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,547Registered User Senior Member
    Just remember that something like 80% of jobs are found through networking.
  • PackMomPackMom Posts: 7,452Registered User Senior Member
    My S2 got a p/t job at our local Dicks Sporting Goods by applying through Indeed.
    He applied for prob. 25 other jobs on Indeed and only heard back from one other than Dicks Sporting Goods job.
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,924Registered User Senior Member
    I found my job on indeed.com. I used every job board I could find when I was job hunting, including the one from my school, and indeed ended up being my go-to. It had the most relevant postings with the least scammy "entry-level marketing" postings.
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Posts: 22,762Registered User Senior Member
    Son got several interviews through indeed.com. He got his job through networking. I do like indeed.com - it's easier to navigate compared to Monster and others. Monster and Dice are two others that are decent for STEM jobs.
  • NJresNJres Posts: 5,273Registered User Senior Member
    Indeed.com is great. Just remember it is a search engine, not a headhunter or job agency.
  • ThereseRThereseR Posts: 419Registered User Member
    NJres,

Do you feel that headhunters and job agencies are better?

How does Indeed.com compare to them?
  • DebrunsDebruns Posts: 2,725Registered User Senior Member
    I found a job with indeed...I remember it being very easy to use.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Posts: 11,674Registered User Senior Member
    RE #10...in this day and age you need BOTH...and then some. Talk to every recruiter you can, use Indeed to locate the jobs that are indexed on websites and also make a list of targeted companies and watch their actual job postings. Get your Linkedin profile up to date and use the Linkedin job postings. Finding a job is not a passive or one avenue process these days, it takes alot of effort. The best advice I can give is to spend 20-30 hours a week networking, talking to recruiters, searching on-line for jobs and applying to jobs. Another piece of advice is to take a contract position if it fits your requirements as you can then bring in income and continue to look for full-time employment. Also contract jobs often turn into full-time employee jobs.
  • ArmylaxmomArmylaxmom Posts: 21Registered User New Member
    Indeed is great...but don't sleep on Craigslist. A lot of major companies list open positions there...
  • razorsharprazorsharp Posts: 6,161Registered User Senior Member
    Has Monster.com become the next Myspace.com yesterday's news?
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,924Registered User Senior Member
    ^In my opinion, yes. I tried monster first when I was job hunting and promptly gave up because I was getting calls and emails for interviews every day.... for "entry-level marketing" scam jobs and no legitimate jobs. If I were hunting today I'd still look there, perhaps, but it wouldn't be a major focus and I'd be reluctant to put any of my info out via their site. Still getting spammy calls and emails.
  • ThereseRThereseR Posts: 419Registered User Member
    Emaheevul07,

What were some of the best places (for you) that you used to do your job-hunting?