Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Facebook question, suggested post?

fishymomfishymom Posts: 1,849Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Parent Cafe
Ok, this is a new one for me. Recently I have had several posts show up on my Facebook page that are tagged "suggested post". I do not want these posts on my page, is there a way to opt out of this type of SPAM by Facebook? Thanks for any help!
Post edited by fishymom on

Replies to: Facebook question, suggested post?

• romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 21,797Registered User Senior Member
    Not that I know of. These are another form of ads.
  • abasketabasket Posts: 7,938Registered User Senior Member
    They were talking about this sort of thing recently on the radio. Facebook is free. You are their consumer - they can and will target you for what you might be interested in. Kind of like the side ads here on CC.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 10,659Registered User Senior Member
    Try Adblock.
  • ebeeeeeebeeeee Posts: 5,199Registered User Senior Member
    I have the same question..in the past month all kinds of ads are showing up in my news feed. Does Adblock remove them? How do I enable that?
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Posts: 15,744Registered User Senior Member
    Just started yesterday for me. Argh.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 10,659Registered User Senior Member
    If I recall correctly, I just googled Adblock and then downloaded it. It has significantly cut down on the number of ads I get -- in fact, I no longer get those damn 30-second commercials before a 30-second video I want to see!

Some kind soul on CC suggested it to me. Sorry I don't remember who.

Edited to add: You have to download the correct version for the web browser you use -- Chrome, Firefox, etc.
  • bookreaderbookreader Posts: 1,087Registered User Senior Member
    I"ve had this happen in my FB newsfeed for a few weeks now. I hate it! I keep clicking the button for 'hide' but a new one will pop up the next day.
    I don't think that adblock will work in this specific situation because it's in the newsfeed rather than on another spot on the page. I"d be interested to hear if anyone does have success with it in this specific situation.
  • garlandgarland Posts: 12,314Registered User Senior Member
    I just keep hiding. I've also reported it as spam. When asked why i don't want to see it, I say "because it's an ad." Do I think that will change anything? No. But I feel better.
  • bookreaderbookreader Posts: 1,087Registered User Senior Member
    I've done that too a few times Garland.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Posts: 15,855Super Moderator Senior Member
    I agree with the AdBlock suggestion. It helps SO much!! Even CC pages load faster without the ads!
  • ConsolationConsolation Posts: 13,171Registered User Senior Member
    ITA re AdBlock. I was so happy with it that I made a voluntary payment. The only time I have to adjust is when viewing Hulu. Hulu will not work when the ads are blocked, but it is simple to pause AdBlock before opening Hulu.