Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best tea for keurig

fendergirlfendergirl Posts: 4,651Registered User Senior Member
edited December 2012 in Parent Cafe
Any suggestions on tea for the keurig? I am not a coffee drinker but usually will drink green mountains apple cider.

Would like to try out some teas.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using CC
Post edited by fendergirl on

Replies to: Best tea for keurig

• pugmadkatepugmadkate Posts: 5,807Registered User Senior Member
    I am not a fan of tea made that way. I've tried a few brands and they've all had a slightly bitter aftertaste. I'm curious to hear what others say about this.
  • audiophileaudiophile Posts: 2,374Registered User Senior Member
    Run it without the K-cup into a mug with your choice of tea.
  • notrichenoughnotrichenough Posts: 5,544Registered User Senior Member
    For me, tea through the Keurig always has coffee taste, which I really dislike. I don't like or drink coffee, so even the slightest taste is bleh.
  • fendergirlfendergirl Posts: 4,651Registered User Senior Member
    Audio that made me smile. So nobody would recommend a tea k cup?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using CC
  • VAMom2015VAMom2015 Posts: 1,297Registered User Senior Member
    I was hoping to see some responses. The only one I've tried is the one that comes with the variety pack. I thought it tasted fine. I don't understand why tea would taste like coffee through the keurig, since the tastes should be fully contained in the individual containers. DS has been drinking the apple cider k-cups and he enjoys them.
  • CharlottemomCharlottemom Posts: 171Registered User Junior Member
    Use 2 regular size tea bags (carefully folded into the space where the k-cup usually goes) for a great cup of hot tea. This is much cheaper than using a k-cup and I think it tastes better than the tea k-cups I have tried!

My favorite right now is Earl Grey.

Just be really careful when you put the tea bags in - there is a very sharp needle in there!
  • notrichenoughnotrichenough Posts: 5,544Registered User Senior Member
    I don't understand why tea would taste like coffee through the keurig
    It was a very faint taste, but I am pretty sensitive to coffee taste since I really dislike it.

Since this machine was in an office environment, perhaps the problem was a cleaning issue. I like just with a teabag and a mug better.
  • bclintonkbclintonk Posts: 6,487Registered User Senior Member
    I use Celestial Seasonings Green Tea K-cups all the time at work, because that's what's available. But it's pretty good, and it's easy. I also keep a canister of green tea bags in my desk, and if the office coffee/tea supply ever runs out of green tea K-cups (which it does occasionally), I just microwave a mug of water to boil, and add my teabag. The teabag is tastier and probably cheaper but it comes out of my budget, not my employer's, and it takes a couple minutes longer with a couple of extra steps. So I use the K-cups and I'm satisfied with the results.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,598Registered User Senior Member
    Use 2 regular size tea bags (carefully folded into the space where the k-cup usually goes) for a great cup of hot tea. This is much cheaper than using a k-cup and I think it tastes better than the tea k-cups I have tried!

My favorite right now is Earl Grey.

Just be really careful when you put the tea bags in - there is a very sharp needle in there!

It might be better and safer to get one of those Kcup inserts ....and put your loose or bag tea in one of those.

Eco-Fill Reusable Refillable k-cup Coffee Filter for Keurig Brewers: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
  • SteveMASteveMA Posts: 6,079Registered User Senior Member
    I just put a tea bag in my cup and let the Keurig run hot water. You don't need to put the tea bag in the k-cup holder thing at all. We do the same with hot chocolate. Works just like a tea kettle on the stove only faster.
  • LergnomLergnom Posts: 6,727Registered User Senior Member
    Father Guido Sarducci pushed the "Mr. Tea". His tagline was "you provide the the tea bag and the hot water and Mr. Tea does the rest".