Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Food for teenage boys

NYMomof2NYMomof2 Posts: 4,963Registered User Senior Member
edited January 2013 in Parent Cafe
I have two teenage boys and I am looking for suggestions for between-meal snacks. Really, what they need are between-meal meals. S1 has been eating like a horse for years and it's relatively easy to provide food for him, because he eats everything. If he's hungry he will go to the refrigerator and eat all the leftovers - whatever is there, leftover meat or fish, huge salads, vegetables, soups, enchiladas. It's a little harder with S2 because he will not eat meat or eggs, and although he'll eat vegetables and salad with dinner, he will not eat these things between meals.

I'm looking for fast and healthy substantial snacks. For example, S2 is always very hungry after school. There is a McDonald's on our way home and he was asking for a fish sandwich every day. (This is not replacing dinner; he will eat this at 3 and be hungry again for dinner at 6.) I really hated buying him fast food every day, so I came up with a better alternative. I stock up on good-quality frozen fish sticks or breaded fillets (Mrs. Praeger's or the kind they sell at Whole Foods). These can be cooked in the toaster oven in 20 mins and put on a roll with cheese. Both boys love these and there are no more trips to McDs. I need more ideas like this, things that the boys can make themselves without messing up the kitchen. I cook a lot, but I can't quite keep up with the quantity of food they need.
Post edited by NYMomof2 on

Replies to: Food for teenage boys

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 31,874Registered User Senior Member
    Seems like you could easily feed S1 healthy food, but not so easily S2. (Does the snack food include fruit?)

But if S2 won't eat meat, what does he think that fish is (it certainly is not a vegetable)?
  • abasketabasket Posts: 7,945Registered User Senior Member
    Soft pretzels with cheese dip.

Fresh bagels w/spread or lunchmeat

Turkey based breakfast sandwiches - even for after school. Costco sells prepared ones with whole wheat bagel, turkey sausage, egg I think.

Cans of hearty soup.

Slice an apple in half, remove seeds/core and stuff with peanut butter or cheese. If you wrap immediately in foil and refrigerate you can make a couple ahead and store in refrig for a couple of days.

My S's summer fall back snack. A bowl of Stonyfield whole milk yogurt with a spoon of jam mixed in for sweetness, topped with fresh berries and 1/4 cup of granola. Filling and pretty healthy.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 10,660Registered User Senior Member
    When my boys were that age, I found that cooking a six-pound or so Boston butt (pork shoulder) in the crock pot, then "pulling" it, gave them pulled pork anytime they wanted to slop on the barbeque sauce and pop it in the microwave. Pure protein. Maybe put it on a roll with a little cheese if they're feeling frisky.

I'm also a fan of sliced apples with peanut butter.
    ^^Hey, that pork is in the crockpot at home for dinner tonight!!! :)
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 10,660Registered User Senior Member
    Isn't it the easiest thing in the world??!! (Except for the "pulling" part.)
  • nj2011momnj2011mom Posts: 2,636Registered User Senior Member
    Humas & chips.

Cereal or frozen waffles.

Costco also sells chicken patties that just need to go in the microwave. That on a rolls or flatbread.

S1 was on a few week kick of turkey bacon on flatbread for breakfast. I made up 5-10 every Sunday night and he could take out of the freezer every morning and pop in microwave.

Hot pockets are pricey, but kids like them.
  • leftrightleftleftrightleft Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
    My boys eat like yours! They like to make smoothies-greek yogurt/2 fruits/skim milk/ice cubes. Apples w/peanut butter, clementines and cheese & crackers are also favorites.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 31,061Registered User Senior Member
    Tofu p
  • Classof2015Classof2015 Posts: 3,373Registered User Senior Member
    Would S2 eat tunafish? Or smoked salmon?
    Or hummus and vegetables that are ready to eat - baby carrots, cleaned celery, cauliflower, etc.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Posts: 10,854Registered User Senior Member
    Lots of good suggestions, my picky eater boy will eat carrots and Ranch dressing dip or hummus, bagels with peanut butter or cream cheese, cereal and milk, Flour tortillas that he would turn into quick quesadillas with cheese and meat. I showed him how to make a roux so he can make stovetop cheese sauce for mac and cheese which he does like. I also keep a huge container of home-made Chex mix if he's really lazy and gasp...Ramen noodles which are now I think a young person staple food.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 31,061Registered User Senior Member
    I made a crockpot full of black eyed peas and veggies( greens & grape tomatoes) for new years- served with rice or bread it could make a weeks worth of high protein after school " snacks"
    & there are a lot more soups that you can make with a crock pot & dried peas/ beans.
  • CottageSpiritCottageSpirit Posts: 191Registered User Junior Member
    I have a 17-year old boy who also loves to eat and who also doesn't eat meat. Some of the easy things I keep on hand for him:

hummus and pita chips
    bananas, apples, grapes, grape or cherry tomatoes
    frozen sunflower seed burgers (that he eats on a roll)
    frozen Amy's veggie pot pies
    frozen Amy's enchilada / bean / rice dishes
    carrot slaw (used for a sandwich)
    veggie quiche (but that has eggs; don't know if your son doesn't eat eggs based on principle or if he doesn't like how they're usually made - I usually make one on the weekend and he eats it throughout the week)
    baguette and pesto
    cracked wheat or onion rolls (he warms them up in the toaster oven and butters them)
    English muffins (he eats with jelly)
    quesadilla ingredients (the tortillas, shredded cheese, sour cream, canned refried beans)

My other kids also like to snack on yogurt, yogurt smoothies, and the meatless Quorn patties and nuggets.

Hope you like the sounds of a couple of those things. :)
  • megpmommegpmom Posts: 2,335Registered User Senior Member
    Vegetarian kid: Yougurt parfait (w granola and fruit), grilled cheese sandwiches (or quesadillas), pretzels, carrots (no dip, but he's a weird kid), pita bread pizza, apples, cereal and milk. My non-vegetarian kid: add Hebrew National kosher hotdogs, turkey pepperoni pizzas, turkey sandwiches. I just have a rule that they can't eat a snack within 1 hour of meal time - otherwise they would be eating constantly. My S is the king of late night fast food runs (usually after I go to bed!). I just find the cups and bags in the trash the next morning.
  • terencterenc Posts: 1,127Registered User Senior Member
    Beef jerky!

I can't emphasize that enough. Lot's of snacks like bread are chock full of calories, even if they're not sweetened. Beef jerky is pretty low in calories but it's really filling/satisfying.

For S2 yogurt is good.