Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Herbal product for pain relief after surgery?

questbestquestbest Posts: 508Registered User Member
edited January 2013 in Parent Cafe
Has anyone had success with any herbal products for pain relief after surgery. I am having a laparoscopic hysterectomy and would like to avoid narcotics and their side effects of stomach upset.....someone mentioned arnica but I don't know anything about it.

Any other suggestions of herbals that relieve pain with no stomach side effects? I have a very sensitive stomach.
Post edited by questbest on

Replies to: Herbal product for pain relief after surgery?

• somemomsomemom Posts: 9,273Registered User Senior Member
    I do not do well with narcotics either. Try asking for Toradol, it's like mega-Advil so it can help with the pain without the narcotic side effects.
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 Posts: 920Registered User Member
    Toradol can also wreak havoc on your stomach. There are anti-emetic medications that can be prescribed to take while taking narcotics. If you are prescribed a narcotic, make sure that you drink plenty of fluids and they also give you a stool softener. Best of luck. Hope that you will feel much better and have a speedy recovery.
  • dragonmomdragonmom Posts: 4,282Registered User Senior Member
    Oops, I thought you were asking for advice from WA or CO regarding herbal relief...
  • pugmadkatepugmadkate Posts: 5,807Registered User Senior Member
    When I have to have surgery, I have them triple the anti-emetic medications. They typically give me two doses in surgery and then one after. With my husband right there explaining my epic history of vomiting after surgery, they are more than happy to do it. And that stuff works!
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom Posts: 1,943Registered User Senior Member
    I find arnica very helpful for healing.

However, in no way would I consider it at all a help for pain relief post surgery. You need the narcotics. Make sure to never take them on an empty stomach. Have a large amount of pudding, applesauce, toast or whatever is soothing to your stomach with any pain medication.

As pugmadkate says, have them give plenty of anti emetic medication during surgery. Take tylenol regularly, but not in excess of the 4 grams per day to avoid liver damage. It is often part of pain pills, but you can try it alone, if you're trying to avoid the narcotics. You might talk to a pharmacist about what you've tried previously for pain pills, and ask for something else. Oxycodone is stronger than hydrocodone.

I have similar problems, and do ok with some pills, not others. For some reason, all IV narcotics are the worst for me, though one amazing nurse made them ok with enough anti emetic during a colonoscopy.

Wishing you the best!
  • sopranomom92sopranomom92 Posts: 1,339Registered User Senior Member
    Honestly, I'd take the pain meds. I've had this surgery, and the outcome was excellent, but I will say that I took the pain meds for two or three days, something I normally never do. In fact, I suggest you set an alarm to wake up and take them before they totally wear off. Talk to the pharmacist about what you can do to prevent the stomach upset and constipation. Also, take the full 8 weeks off work, if you work. Even though the external incisions are tiny, inside, there is a lot of healing that needs to happen. Good luck! Again, don't worry, the outcome will be excellent, and for me, I found I didn't need pain meds after the first few days. But do take it easy!
  • MarianMarian Posts: 9,359Registered User Senior Member
    Talk to your surgeon and anesthesiologist if you are considering taking any kind of herbal product after surgery -- or if you are considering taking any herbals or other dietary supplements in the weeks just before surgery.

Some herbals can affect your response to anesthesia (of course, this only applies to herbs you take before surgery, not those you take afterward). And some can increase bleeding (which could be undesirable either before or afterward) or interact with drugs that you may be given during or after the procedure.

Dietary Supplements: What You Need to Know
  • Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 Posts: 8,887Registered User Senior Member
    And some can increase bleeding (which could be undesirable either before or afterward) or interact with drugs that you may be given during or after the procedure.

Took the words right out of my mouth...er...keyboard. :)
  • LergnomLergnom Posts: 6,719Registered User Senior Member
    If you mean an herb that works, no unless you include the aromatic herbs in Gin.

There is a reason why we spend so much money looking for ways to relieve pain.
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom Posts: 1,943Registered User Senior Member
    Arnica is actually a homeopathic, as commonly used for soreness and inflammation. Little sugar pills that contain nothing of the named ingredient. It sounds like nonsense, but I have been impressed with how well it works. But as above, as an adjunct to healing, not for pain relief per se.

The plant arnica, does interfere with clotting, so no, you do not want that. The homeopathic remedy should be ok a day or so post surgery.
  • RacinReaverRacinReaver Posts: 6,598Registered User Senior Member
    Just believe that any sugar pill you take will help relieve your pain, and it'll do better than if you don't believe. Also, make sure any friends praying for you let you know, otherwise it's been shown not to help. :)
  • somemomsomemom Posts: 9,273Registered User Senior Member
    I am not sure whether your stomach issues are nausea with narcotics or stomach upset with NSAIDs, but if you are talking about narcotics, you can also talk to your doctor about alternating tylenol and ibuprofin/advil. Anything that can make a person sleepy knocks me out for hours and anything that can make a person nauseated kills me.

I slept for about 12 hours on the day of surgery and never took any narcotics, I was in quite a bit of discomfort that first night in the hospital as I had not been clear enough to request alternating OTC meds, but once home things were manageable.

I had more work done than expected and it took me a full 12 weeks before I could exercise to the level I had before, but I was off even the OTC meds within a week or two.
  • LakemomLakemom Posts: 2,550Registered User Senior Member