Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Valerie Harper (Rhoda) is terminally ill

NYMomof2NYMomof2 Posts: 5,344Registered User Senior Member
edited March 2013 in Parent Cafe
I was very sad to read today that Valerie Harper has incurable cancer and is expected to live only a few months. I always loved her character, Rhoda Morgenstern, on the old Mary Tyler Moore show. It's hard to believe that Valerie and Mary are in their 70's now. I think of them as eternal 30-year-olds.
Post edited by NYMomof2 on

Replies to: Valerie Harper (Rhoda) is terminally ill

• abasketabasket Posts: 8,713Registered User Senior Member
    I agree with all you said. So sad. And to me, they will always be those eternal 30 year olds.
  • lje62lje62 Posts: 3,568Registered User Senior Member
    I saw this reported this morning and I couldn't help but notice was a remarkably great attitude she has
  • aquamarineseaaquamarinesea Posts: 832Registered User Member
    I just heard about this on the evening news. I also heard that she battled lung cancer in 2009. I have many wonderful memories of her on the Mary Tyler Moore Show and Rhoda. She is one of my favorite TV characters from the 70's.
  • myboby123myboby123 Posts: 428Registered User Member
    this is very sad. i like her also, what is the name of the sitcom that she starred in the 80s?
  • emilybeeemilybee Posts: 5,925Registered User Senior Member
  • FallGirlFallGirl Posts: 4,242Registered User Senior Member
    This is very sad news. I loved the MTM show and Rhoda.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 36,112Registered User Senior Member
    I really love her acting...such a great comic. We have tickets to see her in Looped in May...I'm guessing that isn't going to happen. So sad.
  • EPTREPTR Posts: 3,632Registered User Senior Member
    I was so sad to see that story. I LOVED her when I was younger and felt that she and Mary Tyler Moore helped to shape a generation of young women and their expectations of life.
  • lindz126lindz126 Posts: 1,906Registered User Senior Member
    I loved her in MTM and Rhoda, what a role model for those days. Also saw her in a live performance of "Golda's Balcony" about Golda Meir, in '05, she was phenomenal in the role.

so sad to hear how little time she has...and yes a wonderful attitude. Hope she is surrounded by love...
  • DebrunsDebruns Posts: 2,718Registered User Senior Member
    I bought her book when my sister turned 50, she also was just diagnosed with breast cancer and it made her laugh.
    Today I Am a Ma'Am: And Other Musings on Life, Beauty, and Growing Older: Valerie Harper, Catherine Whitney, Rick Tulka: Amazon.com: Books
    I had just read a free kindle version of her new book. She seems like a classy woman and I hope she has a peaceful passing and more time than they predicted. She brought many smiles to me over the years.
  • bevhillsbevhills Posts: 667Registered User Member
    The best line that "Rhoda" ever delivered?

Upon eating a chocolate..."I don't know why I ate this...I should have applied the chocolate directly to my hips."

I used to see Valerie Harper and then little girl at Nate and Als. Long live the bagel necklace.
  • "just"aMom"just"aMom Posts: 2,106Registered User Senior Member
    My best friend and I saw her in Looped in Pasadena a few years ago. Amazingly wonderful (nearly) one-woman show. Afterward we were wandering around outside and as we headed to our car, Ms. Harper (in a bathrobe and kerchief on her head) emerged (almost unrecognizable) to a waiting Prius. I gushed out "Ms. Harper? I am a huge fan!" (I never do that but my god, SHE'S RHODA!) - she stopped cold turned and laughed that BIG Valerie Harper laugh and said, "How'd you know it was me??" Before you knew it she was walking toward me, hand outstretched, and shaking mine. She asked our names, if we liked the show, where we'd come in from and a wee bit of chit chat. Meanwhile, the car and driver are idling and she signed my program, and ticket. I honestly will never forget her genuine graciousness, and how UNaffected she was. I've placed a hold on her latest book at the library (came out earlier this year).

I adored the character Rhoda on both the MTM show as well as the spinoff Rhoda. I thought that (the character) Rhoda was spectacular. And Nancy Walker as her mother...pure genius. Now I gotta get my hands on those shows.

Maybe because my mom died of brain cancer, but I have been especially touched by this news.
  • msteemstee Posts: 2,935Registered User Senior Member
    Sorry to hear. Another Valerie Harper/Rhoda fan, here.
  • DebrunsDebruns Posts: 2,718Registered User Senior Member
    I think that "chocolate to hip" line was used by more people than she could imagine. ; )

I might reorder her old book to read again, I could use the laughs and will probably read her new one also.
  • aquamarineseaaquamarinesea Posts: 832Registered User Member
    For anyone who is interested in watching the MTM Show or Rhoda --

I believe that you can watch season 1-3 of the Mary Tyler Moore show on Hulu. I think Netflix offers it as a DVD by mail (not streaming). You can watch individual episodes for $1.99 from Amazon Instant Video. Or you can buy the DVDs on Amazon (prices range from $9.99-$16.78 per season).

Rhoda is available on Hulu. I believe it's available from Netflix as a DVD by mail. You can also buy the DVDs on Amazon (prices range from $13.99-$16.88).