Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How/where do you put Eagle Scout on your resume?

Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Posts: 16,410Registered User Senior Member
edited March 2013 in Parent Cafe
Ds1 is asking for my advice, so I'm asking for yours.

On cc, I've read that Eagle Scouts should keep that on their resume. He's a college junior looking for jobs and internships and is updating his resume. Previously, he had Eagle Scout listed under awards and honors, but the other stuff in that category is kind of old high school stuff. He doesn't have any college awards per se so we're wondering where to put the Eagle Scout designation. Right now, he has categories for Education and Employment and he was going to add one for Interests, where he would put the myriad things he does in college.

Soooo ... how would you incorporate Eagle Scout?
Post edited by Youdon'tsay on

Replies to: How/where do you put Eagle Scout on your resume?

• jym626jym626 Posts: 36,882Registered User Senior Member
    I think my DS put it under something like "Honors and awards"
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 22,876Registered User Senior Member
    Just asked my friend. He lists it under awards and certificates along with his CPR and lifeguard certificates.
  • ariesathenaariesathena Posts: 5,032Registered User Senior Member
    My boyfriend is an Eagle Scout. (Cue my mother: "Of course he is.") He puts it on a bumper sticker.

Okay, seriously: put in under "leadership and community involvement" (or however you want to phrase it). It's hard for grown-ups to get many awards that are worth mentioning on a resume, or wouldn't be mentioned in a specific section, like "Education", but people sit on various Boards and are part of community groups (political, non-profit, civic band, running, etc.), so a resume section tailored to that makes more sense than an "Honours and Awards" section.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,225Registered User Senior Member
    Ds boyfriend is an Eagle Scout also.
    Since it is a precollege accomplishment, some people may feel funny listing it on their resume, but if he has space for interests and activities that personalize & add color to his resume, it could go there.
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Posts: 16,410Registered User Senior Member
    I like leadership and community involvement! He put all his college-related stuff under there and added Eagle Scout and two interesting, significant awards from senior year in high school that he thinks are unusual. I think he can get away with it this summer.

And this has prompted an interesting discussion about how he's on track to graduate with Latin honors and yet has never been on the Dean's list!
  • garlandgarland Posts: 12,673Registered User Senior Member
    My D's fiance is also an Eagle Scout--must be a CC trend.

I like the "leadership and community" designation. and even though it was pre-college, I definitely think it's the kind of thing that gets a lot of positive recognition lingering well into adulthood, so it makes sense to keep it there a while.
  • Lafalum84Lafalum84 Posts: 7,535Registered User Senior Member
    S put his at the bottom under "Other" or "Personal Interests" or something like that.