Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

coaches promise college scholarships to middle school players

emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,187Registered User Senior Member
edited September 2007 in Parent Cafe
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002806315_sealth15.html

Its really a shame- that these coaches apparently broke rules in breaking the rules to build a team, rather than building a team with the young women they had.

A Seattle Times investigation has found that head coach Ray Willis and his assistants, Amos Walters and Laura Fuller, have recruited players for more than three years, violating numerous amateur athletic rules. Six of those players helped the Seahawks win a state championship last year, and three still play for this season's team, which is competing in district playoffs Thursday and is favored to win the state title again next month.
Post edited by emeraldkity4 on

Replies to: coaches promise college scholarships to middle school players

• HImomHImom Posts: 18,430Registered User Senior Member
    It's sad, but I guess it's just more for parents to watch out for. Sounds like there are a lot of the folks he tried to recruit williing to talk & provide evidence. I wonder how often this goes on in various forms.

I know that sometimes private schools are quite attentive to exceptionally talented students and "recruit" them. I don't have details about what they do in recruiting & what the rules are since private schools have different rules than public schools. Many of the private schools in HI give financial aid & try to meet all of their student's need as best they can.
    Promising college scholarships to athletes is really dicey (& of course playing to parents' fondest wishes) since there really aren't a whole lot of them awarded & how can anyone know how a middle school student will be by the time they're a HS senior in terms of athletic talent (even injuries), grades, etc.
  • citygirlsmomcitygirlsmom Posts: 13,158- Senior Member
    At my Ds highschool, if you play for an other team at the same time as playing for the school team the team forfiets all those cames, and potentially the season....

you would think the NCAA would look at this place and if the players, who all have to register with the NCAA in order to play college sports find fraud in how the girls played in HS, commetted fraud in order to attend certain schools, where in essence paid to play in HS, they may not be able to play in college

this is very serious and could affect the players college prospects

and the coaches, won't be touched by colleges now
  • UMDADUMDAD Posts: 1,376Registered User Senior Member
    In this area, Detroit Country Day School (alma mater of both Chris Weber and Shane Battier, both in the NBA) has been accused of illegal recruiting for years.

I think it would be up to the state athletic association to investigate such charges.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 33,187Registered User Senior Member
    It really makes me angry at how the coaches- upon being caught are still trying to get out of it. How upon being asked about hosting a birthday dinner for a player, now say "oh they might have bought her some fries and a coke"
    At least the Seattle school district is investigating.According to Washington interscholastic rules, an investigation can only happen if the school reports itself or if another member school makes a formal complaint.

It sounds like the coaches were "good" coaches, by that I just mean they were able to win, but obviously a coach should be more than that.
    They did win though, my D school ( who also won state championships last year)which is in the next division up had one of their 3 losses this year against Sealth.

So the coaches are able to coach, too bad they are so competitive they lost their integrity.

So the adults screwed up, but the kids are the ones that pay.

At my D school, a player was ineligible to play because of a clerical error ( she had her forms in- but for some reason ______ didn't put her on the list- knowing _____ I am not surprised she messed up- it wouldn't be the first time), so it has been ruled that her school has to forfeit their first 8 games.
    The school athletic director reported the violation as soon as she realized it, but since the student did everything she was supposed to do ( turned her eligiblity forms in), it is a shame that a mistake made by the office may cost the whole team the district championship.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Posts: 6,848Registered User Senior Member
    Kitty, I am confused. Did the Sealth coaches offer college scholarships to the players? At first I thought you meant that private middle schools were offering free tuition to talented athletes, which some folks don't have a problem with (but it may be against the local state/city scholastic organizaton rules).

Anyone remember that Madman Bob Knight of Indiana University offered a scholarship to Damon Bailey (a player who showed tremendous talent as elementary schooler) when Bailey was in 7th grade?
    the Sealth coaches( reportedly) approached students while they were in middle school, and told them and their parents that if they played for Sealth, that they would start and that they would get college scholarships( Of course that isn't something they have any control over)
    Parents and basketball players say they were offered the following to persuade them to come to Chief Sealth. These are considered violations of WIAA recruiting rules. Chief Sealth's coaches have denied most of these actions.
    • Starting spots on the team

• Help in securing college scholarships

• Free meals

• A deal on a car

• Coaching positions for parents

• Help in moving to the Seattle School District

• False addresses to establish residency in the district
    Now I admit that parents are at fault as well, although some parents may not realize that some of the offers were illegal, but you'd think that anybody would realize that falsifying an address to qualify to attend teh school would be frowned upon
    The school district you have some problems with this, in our area, we had a highschool that people faked addresses for to get into the school, so now the checking on addresses is very thorough

And issue is a legal one regarding the fake addresses, not sure how washington works, but to do that is more than jsut frowned upon in California

and more on the Seattle School District:

Reclassifying students buys time for taking WASL
    By Tan Vinh
    Seattle Times staff reporter

Related
    Complete WASL coverage
    One in four sophomores in Seattle Public Schools has failed so many classes that the district has "reclassified" them as freshmen.

Nearly half the sophomores at Rainier Beach High School and about one-third of the 10th-graders at Cleveland, Chief Sealth and Franklin are now considered freshmen....

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/education/2002802066_freshmen13m.html
    IMO reclassifying those studnets is illegal.
    They only reclassified 10th graders, not 11th or 12th graders- because it is all about making the district look better in regards to WASL scores, because the 11th and 12th graders don't have to take it to graduate ( or not graduate)
    Since the district plan to develop an alternative assessment for graduation will only kick in after the student fails the test twice, delaying the test, will jsut put them that much farther back.
    I think they should take the test with everyone else, then if they don't pass a section, they will at least know what they need to work on- but this way- they won't know until spring of next year.
    Since many are just short one or two credits, that can be made up over summer, so they are still considered by their schools to be 10th graders, but if they have to take the WASL next year when they are juniors, they will be missing class for days, at a time when it would be critical to attend.
    SO if they are 10th grade/Junior, do they have two more years of highschool? Imagin what that will do for some dramas in school

alot of these kids will be over 19 when they graduate
    well for example my daughter is going to take math in summer school ( she is trying to get prepared for chemistry next year)
    that will give her I think 1/2 credit
    they knocked back any student who didn't have 5 credits entering 10th grade ( state requires 20 to graduate- so they pretty much need 5 credits each year)
    but say a student had only 4 classes- they wouldn't be eligible to take the WASL this spring, but if they are taking 5 credits this year, and they take two classes during summer school, they will be caught up to be a junior in the fall.

Nearly half the sophomores at Rainier Beach High School and about one-third of the 10th-graders at Cleveland, Chief Sealth and Franklin are now considered freshmen. The 827 students districtwide can remain with their peers in classes, sports and other activities but must make up the credits in night or summer school in order to graduate on time. The reclassification — of which parents and students were notified in recent weeks — is intended to delay the Washington Assessment of Student Learning for 10th-graders who are struggling academically. The class of 2008 is the first that must pass the WASL to graduate.

Some kids will be over 19 or close to it anyway- holding your kid out for ayear so that they are 6 in kindergarten is quite popular,both my kids have early summer birthdays- but their friends had late summer birthdays and were often almost a full year older.
    I expect that my daughters school, who has less than 50 sophomores that need credits, will be making up classes after school and during the summer- so that everyone as much as possible will be on track in fall.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 12,106Registered User Senior Member
    Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools 4A Playoffs have been suspended. Tapps had taken punitive action against a coach and school for (allegedly) paying the tuition or arranging for the paying of tuition of star players as an enticement to come there and play girls bball. Tapps was enjoined from proceeding without the team with the 4 suspended girls or their suspended coach. I believe Carrollton Christian's position will be that every private school in Texas does it so "Why penalize us?" .(Selective enforcement). Tapps of course will be saying a rule is a rule is a rule and we are doing the best we can to enforce it. As someone mentioned earlier these high school girls have been placed in danger of being ineligible for college scholarships.

I have to say I'm happy that they thought girls ball was important enough to cheat about. Things are looking up for girls athletics! Sort of. In a very strange way. LOL.
  • xiggixiggi Posts: 22,876Registered User Senior Member
    Cur, you'll have to admit that the people "in-charge" of high school athletics in Texas could run away with the title of moron of the year. TAPPS is not immune to the symptoms, but UIL is dumb beyond belief. It seems that the big boys meet every quarter to find another sport they can screw up.

UIL, for instance, is extremely proud of imposing a prohibition to club athletes to play for their clubs at the same time as high school compete, yet they insist of having soccer being played from November to March. This forces the club leagues that are miles above the high schools (in soccer, that is) in performance, quality, and administration to build weird calendars. The fact that such rules exist in only a handful of states has not perturbed the fools.

On the other hand, they remain blind and deaf to the most egregious violations. Unless someone spill the beans, they seem oblivious to what everyone in town has known for years.
  • xiggixiggi Posts: 22,876Registered User Senior Member
    Carrollton Christian coach, players suspended
    Carrollton Christian basketball team forfeits 24 victories

Carrollton Christian girls basketball coach Bill Franey and five of his players have been suspended for the remainder of the season by the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools, according to a school official.

Dr. Alex Ward, headmaster at Carrollton Christian, said TAPPS has accused the Carrollton Christian program of violating Article V, Section 8 of its constitution, which reads in part, "a student/athlete shall not ... take part in any competition or contest of TAPPS if participant has received money or gifts or valuable consideration for participating in any sport or contest."

Ward said TAPPS claims the school arranged tuition payments, and Franey solicited funds for scholarships for the suspended players.

Dr. Ward said Carrollton Christian appealed the suspensions Monday.
    Ward said Franey had not personally provided any inducements.

Antoinette Guerin, mother of one of the suspended players, Texas Woman's signee Taja Guerin, said all of the parents of the program were "infuriated" about the suspension and hope the appeal is granted.

"To see the work they've all put into the team ... they shouldn't have to go through something like this with basketball," Mrs. Guerin said. "Just when things are going right for them, this happens.

"I don't understand why they're penalizing the girls. They are children. They are not adults."

PS The team sent 4 girls to college with scholarships.
    update on the girls basketball teams
    Garfield won their appeal- they won't have to forfeit games
    Sealth players are eligible to participate in post season ( with their coaches)
    Haven't heard if any of last years players ahve been to determined to be ineligible yet

BUt the Sealth coach is saying that racism and elitism is the reason his team was picked on- negating that Garfields team is also made of of a majority of minority players and also has an AA coach ( Joyce Walker who was the 2nd female Harlem Globetrotter by 3 weeks) whose team also made state championships last year but I have never heard anything that Coach Walker has done anything that was suspicious- and she also started out as coach- not assistant
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/preps/260088_race18.html
    BTW for a movie about girls basketball
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478166/
    iWhat about all th eother schools they played, do they not have any say, for a school that basically cheated? I would think on a state level people would be ticked off