Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Can you get Frequent Flyer Miles through Orbitz or Travelocity

Christian2Christian2 Posts: 855Registered User Member
edited May 2013 in Parent Cafe
The title of my original Thread was not clear so I like to repost here. Has anyone gotten Frequent Flyer Miles through bookings with either Orbitz or Travelocity for air travel? Thank you in advance.
Post edited by Christian2 on

Replies to: Can you get Frequent Flyer Miles through Orbitz or Travelocity

• notrichenoughnotrichenough Posts: 5,632Registered User Senior Member
    Do you mean, "Does Travelocity or Orbitz have their own frequent flyer program for flights booked through them?"

or

"Is there a way to have my frequent flyer account numbers passed on to the airline when I book through Travelocity or Orbitz?"

For the first, I know Expedia has some kid of reward program, but it is $-based not mileage-based. I've never used Travelocity or Orbitz to book a flight so I don't know about them.

For the second, Expedia does this. But in any case after you get your confirmation number you can go onto the airlines' web sites, pull up your itinerary, and enter your FF numbers.
  • Christian2Christian2 Posts: 855Registered User Member
    I mean "Is there a way to have my frequent flyer accounts numbers passed on to the airline when I bood through Travelocity or Orbitz?" I am looking at flights from LAX to Beijing, China and found cheaper tickets trough the two sites. Since it is a long distance flight, I hate to not getting any miles if booked through them.
  • notrichenoughnotrichenough Posts: 5,632Registered User Senior Member
    If there isn't, just go directly to the airline's web site, pull up your itinerary with your confirmation number, and there will be some way to enter the numbers yourself.
  • great lakes momgreat lakes mom Posts: 1,963Registered User Senior Member
    Orbitz and Expedia both store mileage plan numbers, so are automatically entered onto the ticket if you log in to book. I have also added them after booking.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 17,371Registered User Senior Member
    Keep your boarding passes just in case. If for some reason you do not get mileage credit, you can mail your boarding passes to the airline as the proof that you were on the flight. Alaska definitely allows this. Here is another way that could work. You can either try to update your itinerary through the airline's website or log in as a frequent flyer member and add the itinerary to your account using the airline locator number for your fligt(s) which will show up on your Orbitz reservation. (When I book flights through Expedia or Amex, I add the reservation to my Alaska MVP account using the locator number and last name).
  • bclintonkbclintonk Posts: 6,487Registered User Senior Member
    There's just no problem with this whatsoever. When you're booking a flight through Orbitz or Expedia, they'll always ask you for your airline frequent flyer number for that airline--unless, as great lakes mom says, you already have an Expedia or Orbitz account, in which case you just log in to your account and when you book a flight it will automatically enter any frequent flyer number you've stored there for that airline.

When you click "purchase" and the reservation goes through, you'll get an airline confirmation number (along with your Orbitz or Expedia record locator number or itinerary number). The airline confirmation number is an indication that all the information has been transferred to the airline. From that point forward, you can look up your itinerary directly from the airline's website (using your confirmation number or logging into your frequent flyer account), and your frequent flyer number will be shown on the itinerary. If not, you can enter it at that time (but I've done this dozens of times, and it's never failed). Your FF number will also print out on your boarding pass when you check in. If for some reason you don't get frequent flyer credit after all that, it's the airline's fault, not Orbitz or Expedia's--they're pretty much done with the process as soon as you purchase your ticket.
    Thank you so much for all your reply. I am just concern about saving a few hundred dollars but not able to get the miles. I normally book domestic flights directly through the airlines' website but I found the price varies with this international flight (LAX - PEK)with various travel web sites and their fare are all lower than book directly with the airline.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Posts: 17,371Registered User Senior Member
    Did you use Kayak to search for airfares?
  • SEA_tideSEA_tide Posts: 3,695Registered User Senior Member
    Many companies require their employees to book via online travel portals managed by Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, and others. The tickets earn frequent flier miles at the rates posted on the frequent flier program's website.

Keep in mind that not all fares earn 100% of flown miles or earn miles in the frequent flyer program you're crediting to, even if the airline you're flying is a partner of the airline you have a frequent flyer account with. Some airlines also give fewer miles for tickets booked on bulk fares found on many online travel sites and other travel agencies. You need to keep track of the airline marketing the flight, the airline operating the flight (these are not always the same) and the fare class you are purchasing and the fare class you are flying on if the airline operating the flight is different from the one marketing the ticket.
    I have not try Kayak but I will do so. I actually found Priceline.com offered the lowest fare so far. Thank you again for all the good information.