Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is Savannah a good place for a young professional from the northeast?

bluejaybluejay Posts: 915Registered User Member
edited May 2013 in Parent Cafe
Any thoughts? Thanks.
Post edited by bluejay on

Replies to: Is Savannah a good place for a young professional from the northeast?

• lastminutemom196lastminutemom196 Posts: 694Registered User Member
    To work?

It is a small city, but having visited multiple times in the last year, I think that it has a certain vibrancy to it. It should have somewhat of a growth boom in the next few years because of improvements to the Port.

Do you have a good opportunity there?

It is very much a tourist town, but it has lovely residential areas. If you happen to be Jewish, it has a really nice (albeit small) Jewish community. It is very Southern though.
  • bluejaybluejay Posts: 915Registered User Member
    Yes, to clarify it is for a young person potentially moving there to work. My concern is that it is a lovely place to visit, as you mentioned the tourism but...
  • lastminutemom196lastminutemom196 Posts: 694Registered User Member
    I think it would be a nice place to live, but it isn't a bustling metropolis by any stretch of the imagination.

Try the city-data forums, though I don't know how active the Savannah one is.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Posts: 11,651Registered User Senior Member
    Kind of an oddly worded question. I guess it would depend on what you were looking for. Heck I have a young professional living in the middle of nowhere - beautiful place but kind of nowhere. He's happy as a pig in mud. His best friend from college (rural college) couldn't get to NYC fast enough after graduation day. To each his own. We have no idea what you might be looking for to be able to tell you whether you might "like" Savannah.
  • deega123deega123 Posts: 418Registered User Member
    I go to Savannah quite often. I'd like to answer but I would need to know more about the person. Is the person coming from a large city or a small town? Are they male or female? Are they a minority? Where would they be working? Does this person need to be budget conscious or will they be financially comfortable? What are the person's interests? Would they be bothered by high heat and humidity?

Any information will help.
  • fauvefauve Posts: 3,249Registered User Senior Member
    Is the young professional from an urban city center, a suburb, or a small town? Have you visited the south and found the locals' friendliness charming or intrusive?